Isaac
Years ago

Southern Huskies expected to join NZ NBL

The newly formed franchise is targeting a place in Australia's NBL but will aim for Kiwi shores in the interim, having made a bid to line up in next year's New Zealand NBL.

Talks have intensified in recent months and NBL chairman Iain Potter says Tasmania's participation is expected to be confirmed next month.

"We see it as adding a bit of spice - it's a new concept, a little bit of trans-Tasman rivalry never goes amiss and it also offers an unknown challenge - how will we match up to a relatively strong Australian club?" Potter told Radio Sport.
Full story

Topic #44379 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Would be interesting to see how they do the fixture/schedule.

Travel costs between Tasmania and Auckland are quite large. On top of that you still have the NZ leg of the travel on top which is incredibly expensive i.e. a flight to somewhere like Invercargill (Southland) from Tasmania could be 3-4 flights and a bus (I flew Auckland to Invercargill for work last week and flights were $1k return).

Reply #719444 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I imagine the Huskies will cover the travel costs. There's some talk businesses associated with them may be one of the major sponsors of the comp next year.

Reply #719460 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I reckon to Invercargill they'd go Hobart-Melbourne-Queenstown and then bus south.

Reply #719462 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Expect a very strong side to be formed.

Reply #719464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australian players are classed as imports in nznbl, you would think some rule re imports for the Huskies would need to be in place, you would think that some of there winning seabl side would play weakening that team and who is the coach. Are players going to go there to try and strengthen there chance of nbl selection. Waiting to see how all this plays out.

Reply #719484 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

I read in one article there are concerns that the Huskies might do too well. Some people don't like the idea of an Australian team in the NZ NBL, and especially an Australian team winning their title. I certainly hope the same people are working to shut down the Breakers as well, lest they be hypocrites. But either way, this is an intelligent move to keep the bid alive, but most importantly they need an NBL-level venue or the whole venture is worth nothing.

Reply #719494 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Certainly talk of direct flights (again, they used to fly there years ago) to NZ next year.

Reply #719498 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Food for thought, step by step! Patience grasshopper!

If you have ever flown in to Hobart there maybe a site fairly close to that will fit the bill.....stuff the gcc

Reply #719567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't see how they possibly have the chargers in the elite league too. Seasons effectively at the same time. More problems for the elite league!

Reply #719587 | Report this post

Dr. basketball  
Years ago

Seems like it would be very expensive for a Tasmanian basketball team to be part of a NZ competition but I do appreciate their moxie in trying to get their team out there.

Reply #719590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More problems for the Chargers it seems to me. No one has even raised the issue that the Chargers aren't even an association.
Thunder and Torns will be in serious trouble too. Playing double headers will in essence halve their income.

Reply #719621 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Anon 621 - do you work for BTAS?

Reply #719632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where is the other venue SCOUT?

Reply #719633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's amazing that basketball in Tasmania are trying to have a go at making the sport bigger and all the knockers come out, just keep using tax payers money to bring down North Melbourne and Hawthorn and let the afl run to the bank. Suckers.

Reply #719645 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

633 as I said, there is a site close to where you arrive in Hobart that could have a fair bit of work done while the Huskies play in NZ

Reply #719687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No idea SCOUT. Not a tin shed again.

Reply #719704 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

No - there will be a new purpose built stadium

Reply #719708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure that the location is the best.

Reply #719787 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Where would you rather

Reply #719808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most basketball games / sporting games are usually in a sporting precinct or and entertainment area.
If you can build an Entertainemnt centre in Cambridge for X amount then offer Y amount for the DEC. I know what I would chose.

Reply #719834 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

It would be great if this worked out,i might even consider going to New Zealand if Hobart can get direct flights to Auckland,allthough i don't see this happening too soon.

Reply #719836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently this deal is contingent on the NZ government selling them a plane at half price

Reply #719841 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

The rumour is that Auckland flights from Hobart will start in January, but no announcement has been made yet.

Reply #719842 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

834,yep ideal world picking where you want ie DEC.Believe GCC will rue how they handled 'negotiations' Having your own stadium in Cambridge is not a bad option.

Reply #719850 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

@Scout - So the site is just a paddock and a few tree's to the left as you fly into hobart? Sounds like the perfect site!

Reply #719852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds an interesting concept for sure. 20Km from the city? However the growth out that way is phenomenal.

Reply #719864 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

City centre would be much much better, but from a personal perspective the Cambridge site would be pretty bloody good. Latest was they'd gone a bit cold on that site, don't know how true that is though.

Reply #719871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Building a new venue takes years and its tassie so only one bad election result away from it all going completely pear shaped and back to the tassie of the last 30 years

Reply #719876 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

damn there are a lot of negative posts on here.

Reality - have you actually done anything as substantial as bid and create a NBL team?

Reply #719891 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Would they entertain playing out of NZ?

Reply #719895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"and its tassie so only one bad election result away from it all going completely pear shaped..."

You do know Tassie has just had an election right?
More importantly you don't have to deal with the knobheads at the GCC. Everything is better on the Eastern shore anyway ;)

Reply #719919 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Grew up on the Eastern Shore not there now - definitely more sun!

This is exciting and positive for Tas, no surprise there is conflict on the way not surpising, but the process is creating some great stuff

Reply #719935 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"damn there are a lot of negative posts on here."

Oh gee, I wonder why?

Could it be because every single "negative" (ie Realistic) thing said about the Huskies has come to pass?

Despite all the jitzing from 12yr old fan boys, their proposal had no substance.

"have you actually done anything as substantial as bid and create a NBL team?"

No, and neither have the Huskies.
They never even actually made a bid.

And their alternative? Putting a team into the NZ league? Talk about lowering your standards.

Reply #719937 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Cheers AD great post, added so much.

When was the last time you put in a bid for a nbl license?

Reply #719942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AD you clearly have no idea about the strength of the NZBL. The quality of the competition is higher than that of the former SEABL and the money on offer to those players is superior as well.
Unfortunately your 12yo knowledge of anything basketball related makes you the idiot here. (AS we already know).
What proposal has no substance? The one to enter the NZBL?
Oh btw wait until their side is announced and then stfu.

Reply #719943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Would they entertain playing out of NZ?"

The point is I believe that they want to take the game across Tassie Get the state behind them before they hopefully enter the NBL in the following season.
Games to be played in Hobart and Launceston.

Reply #719945 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Ok, I see, so I'm the idiot because the Huskies will have a team in the (A)NBL next year?

No wait, that's right, they have no fucking money and have NOT even mounted a bid.

"AD you clearly have no idea about the strength of the NZBL"

Wow. Ya know competition is always close, but I think we have a new contender for "Stupidest Comment of the Year."

You're now going to compare the quality of the NZBL to the (A)NBL???
I know there's now a surplus of Opium production in Tasmania, but you still need to dial back your consumption.

Reply #720071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AD you simply are still a 12yo in a 10yo body.

Reply #720073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there is a certain type of respect that I have for people who aren't concerned about making ADouche of themselves but that doesn't mean that pointless ignorant waffling is not a negative to the forum. for a team that currently doesn't even exist I think fielding a team in the NZNBL would be an impressive first step if the stadium issue is stalling their ANBL aspirations. and the claim that they have no money is laughably stupid. there is clearly plenty of money. not wanting to waste that money is not something to be critical of. on the contrary it is a good trait for a business person.

Reply #720074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL This bid was doomed from the moment they decided to call themselves Southern.
Fair enough it was probably always going to play the majority of their games in Hobart, but you can't piss in the face of half the state then expect the State Government to bale you out. If they'd simply gone with Tassie Devils they would be putting the finishing touchs on the team for next year. But thats the problem with so many people in the South. Just can't help themselves. Can't resist any opportunity to whip the wang out and prove theirs is bigger.

With reagrding the above comments you're a deadset moron if you think entering a team in the Kiwi league is a great first step. But then that makes you just the sort of gullable roob who would be taken in by this.

Reply #720087 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Well said anon 74 ; anon 75 grow up.....expect i won't see you at the games at the siverdome

Reply #720089 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Anon 87 not 75

Reply #720090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

087. Clearly up there in the North you can't read very well.
FWIK they will be plenty of games played in the North. Sorry at what stage has anyone mentioned the State Government baling the Huskies out? Have you got any idea how much money has already been spent exciting the Tassie basketball fans to get involved with the Southern Huskies? I guess not as well. This has occurred across the state and with 1000's of people already joining this "non existent" club.
All I will say to you as the Captain of the Cockwomble team (Vice Captain, AD) is that when you hear who will play for the Southern Huskies you will want to be in Launceston at the Silverdome. Probably even grab your passport and venture to Hobart as well. Make sure you get a return ticket too. We don't need your type in Hobart.

Reply #720096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@AD

Do your initials stand for Anal Dribble?

Sorry pal but you seem to talk a lot of shit.
Facebook is the place for someone like you.

Reply #720097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@AD
A Dick.

Reply #720112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't be long now for all the doubters that the Huskies are the real deal.

Reply #720257 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

The question is though, will they ever get into the Australian nbl?

Reply #720286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2020. Exciting times ahead. Wait.....

Reply #720287 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Yawn...

Wake me up when they actually submit a bid to join the NBL.

Til then, enjoy winning the Golden Doobie, or whatever you get in the Kiwi bush league.

Reply #720290 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Or we could just let you sleep Dazz.
Peace for the rest of us zzzz.

Reply #720294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@AD

A Douche

Reply #720334 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Press conference today at 10

also announce signing of Harry Froling

Reply #720533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's (almost) official.
Harry FROLING and Mason BRAGG first signings.

https://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/nba-prospect-harry-froling-signs-for-southern-huskies/news-story/1437ddfe22376707aa4ac68997f62357

Be very excited.

Reply #720552 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Have been admitted in to the NZBL for next 5 years. Step by step, this is a methodical, professional development of a club.

impressed

Reply #720553 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Let's hope the Hobart Home venue is sorted quickly.

Reply #720562 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

So NZBL for 5 years then onto the NBL?

Hope the NBL don't get the other teams they want in the league ahead of the Huskies or they'll need the full 5 year in the league!

Reply #720564 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

As NZNBL is in the AUS NBL off-season, could the Huskies be the first team to play in both leagues?

Reply #720568 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

LC, i hope so, and it sounds like its their plan to play both leagues and use the NZ NBL team to develop their players for the Aus NBL team if/when they have it up and running.

Reply #720577 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It could be a very good model. Basketball all year round for the Huskies in two different, complementary leagues.

Reply #720581 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Interestinly in an article i read that if an Aussie plays more than 7.5 mins per game in the NBL they are classed as a import in the NZ NBL, is that correct?

As that would make Froling and Moller imports

I wonder as i got the impression from the press conference this morning, they were signing Bragg, Moller, Froling, Tre Nichols (import) and another exciting import who had played in Australia before.

So is the article wrong??

Surely the Huskies are allowed to sign Australians as locals no matter how many minutes they play in the NBL.

Reply #720609 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why should the Huskies be allowed a huge recruitment advantage?

All the state leagues here treat NBL players over a certain minutes threshold as restricted, I imagine the same reasoning applies to the NZ NBL.

Reply #720614 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Only because say Corey Webster can play NZ NBL as a local even though playing more minutes in the Aus NBL,

Fair enough as he is a New Zealander, but surely an Aussie club should be able to do the equivalent, surely they dont want the Huskies poaching the New Zealand top talent away from the New Zealand clubs, and weakening them.

Also, given they basically said they were recruiting Americans on top of Froling and Moller, I was thinking they must have got the all clear from the NZ NBL to do so and was just wondering why the minutes limit is listed in the article.

I think it would be good if Aussies can play NZ NBL as locals at any club, just as New Zealanders can here in the Aus NBL.

Was just interested to know how it all works in the NZ NBL.

Reply #720618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nznbl is allowed 3 imports and and one local nbl player, if as above is correct, Froling will be nbl player and Nichols and Moller plus one more will be classed as imports.

Reply #720619 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Ah that makes sense, thank you for the info, I wasnt sure how it all worked in the NZ NBL, but will be watching the Huskies for sure.

Reply #720625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope - it's just three imports in the NZ NBL. New Zealand teams can have as many NBL players as they want, and last year multiple teams had several.

I also found it weird that the Huskies were talking about signing Froling, Moller, and two Americans, because that would definitely not be allowed.

There's also some confusion over whether it was 7.5 minutes per game, or 7.5 total, but in this case it wouldn't make a difference - they would be over the limit. I hope they've been told the rules properly...

Reply #720646 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Hmm very interesting,

As just read an article in the Mercury, that they have offered a contract to American import Jalen Billups who has put up some great numbers in the WA SBL, previously

Meaning their starting 5 would be

Bragg
Nichols
Moller
Billups
Froling

Which gives them 2 Americans, plus 2 Aussies playing more than 7.5 mins per game.

Assuming they haven't miss understood the rules and stuffed up and signed too many imports, they must have been given an extra allowance of 1 extra Aussie NBL player to make that 5 possible, as suggested by a previous poster.

Which to me makes sense to allow them to have atleast 1 good Aussie as a non import, which also helps the NZ clubs as it means the Huskies are not out trying to poach their top talent by being able to field a starting 5 like this, and i assume the rest of the team will be Aussies who are not in the NBL or play less than 7.5 min per game.

Reply #720650 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Solid 5.....locals like Jack Stanwix should be additional signings

Reply #720661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stanwix was at the launch. Chargers coach less. Who will step up and coach?
The Lady Chargers despite all the flurry weeks and weeks ago about appointing a Women's coach have done nothing.

Reply #720731 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

OK, its confirmed there is no extra NBL guy its just 3 imports, which includes Aussies playing more than 7.5 min per game in the NBL, in an interview from Hickey, which makes sense, but I was hoping they could as it would give them a really strong 5.

So that would make it impossible for them to sign both Nichols and Moller on top of Froling and Billups, so will be interesting to see who they go with and why they have mentioned both previously.

Still looking like the Huskies are building a strong NZ NBL squad.

Can still have a 5 of

Bragg
Muo
Moller or Nichols
Billups
Froling

And could still sign a quality NZ player if they chose

Reply #722136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A pity they couldn't keep Moller and Nichols together, they were very good combination in the last half of the season, won a eleven in a row. Both players would command reasonable good coin and would be in the eyes of other nznbl clubs. I think Hobart swept in late last season to get Moller away from nznbl clubs. Bilups better have serious talent if Moller goes, certainly on the defensive end where Moller controlled it very nicely. Both Nichols and Moller were high scorer as well.

Reply #722137 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Yea I was hoping they could keep them both too and also add froling n billups

Per the mercury, if Mollers mins drop below 7.5 per game, they would still love to have him but can't fit him in otherwise

They are expected to announce muo and Nichols soon

Reply #722139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nichols and Billups are good mates, so I doubt there will be any issues in that area.
Have a look at Billups highlights and remember he was MVP last season in the West.

Reply #722140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller is a better player than both Nichols and Bilups combined, not the smartest decision by the Huskies if true. The Hobart crowd will be disappointed to as he eas very much a favourite.

Reply #722145 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

I wonder if Moller was asking for Too much money or didn't want to come back?

Or billups had the better highlight real and was an elite state league player, possibly cheaper, ready to commit, so they just locked him in

If he knows and has player with Nichols that's a bonus

I'm excited to see the Huskies play

Reply #722151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They'll miss Moller on the defensive end plus his structure he gives the team and points. He never signs early so maybe you’re right CAPTAIN JACK and the huskies just want there side locked away.
Billups highlight real looks great but not a very good quality of defence played there or any player even near his size, that isn’t going to happen in the nznbl, where the Wesley, TeRangi, or guys like Pledger will be protecting the bucket.
Moller signed at chargers at last minute last season after having a few nznbl sides chase him, they probably are still in the frame and might offer more dollars.

Reply #722156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Billups is no bigger than 6'7. He was constantly under sized in the WA state league at the center spot. He’ll do just fine in nz if you’re worried about his lack of size

Reply #722157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Captain Jack. Moller at this stage in ineligible to play as an Aussie. Don't read too much into it. It really simple. Moller is perfectly happy to return.

Reply #722162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@162
So they took two American imports ahead of Moller, i don't believe it. Would Nichols or Billups get into an nbl team, let at all a boomers team.
As above Billups highlights are all on smaller players, was that from the sbl? If so the defence is going to be a lot better in nznbl.

Reply #722167 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Yea it's interesting

I dare say they didn't want to wait til last minute for Moller

Billups will have froling next to him, froling should be the best C in NZ NBL so that should make thrm strong inside

In reality if some of these imports were Australian they would be in the NBL, and even the NBL boomers

Look at kendle, or even holt, who are both better then cadee

So if billups was ready to commit quicker then Moller and possibly cheaper I can see why they signed him and didn't wait

Reply #722169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

omagod thus is so exciting bru
A tusmenian team in the Nu Zulund league
I haven't been su excited since Manapouri entered the Waimate Curling League

Reply #722178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see the Huskies filling the gap left by the Chargers in the V-League also. Excellent format to control and work on the development of future players.

Reply #722182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

omagod thus is so exciting bru
A tusmenian team in the Nu Zulund league
I haven't been su excited since Manapouri entered the Waimate Curling League

Reply #722178 |

Churrs

Reply #722184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Billups is so much better than what people are thinking. He is also very driven. He isn't the type of import to just cruise and enjoy the lifestyle. He puts in work. He is really a 3/4 but was forced to change his role this past season to suit the team he played on. There were also games he would only play 20 mins because the team would blow it out. I think he will surprise a lot of people.

Reply #722190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is listed as forward/centre, 26 years old. Will be watching closely, he's obviously good otherwise you wouldn’t think they take him ahead of Moller who led the team very well last season.
Pledger, Wesley, Vukona will keep him honest, if he plays the three again very strong across the league, TeRangi, Abercrombie etc.

Reply #722197 | Report this post

Karl Malone  
Years ago

Whoever said Moller is better than Nichols and Billups combined must be smoking crack.

He's extremely valuable on the defensive end but offensively still has a heap of room for improvement (and that's not a bad thing). Let's not forget Nichols was the go to guy last year for the Chargers, consistently closing out games and making big bucket after big bucket. Could easily play in the NBL given a chance (and be very effective).

The problem is there's only so many spots and unfortunately import spots tend to be taken by guys who are already proven at higher levels. Doesn't mean they're necessarily better. Take a look at Steve Blake.. gave the kings nothing. Would have gotten more from an ABA import (ala Kendall) who is at the top of their game and trying to make a name for themselves.

Comes down to opportunity and being seen by the right eyes at the right time.

Reply #722228 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"froling should be the best C in NZ NBL so that should make thrm strong inside"

If Pledger and Loe are playing he will be one of the good centres, also depends who some of the imports are. Both he and Billups can shoot it though, so that makes them dangerous, especially if they have Nichols.

Reply #722233 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:48 am, Fri 10 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754