Superfan
Last month

Rumor mill

Anyone else hearing rumors of major dysfunction at the Phoenix?

Word is that Creek doesnt want to play there again under Mike Kelly (still has a yr on contract).

Sobey reportedly seen training with them this past week? Another old player with injury concerns to add to them.

Simon Mitchell returning to oversee the basketball operations (after being sacked just 12months ago as head coach). Lot of fans/players about to be angry I bet!

What is going on in their front office!?

Topic #51923 | Report this topic

Ben  
Last month

You do know that Sobey has signed with Phoenix?

As for Kelly, there's been consistent murmurs that his coaching style is abrasive and some players don't like it.

Reply #939635 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last month

Sobey sure has had injuries wouldn't say injury prone and yeah sobey and creek are teaming up creek wants to play with sobey

simon didn't get sacked he left on his own accord

Reply #939638 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last month

+1 - 1

Reply #939643 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Creek should not be happy with his record, JJs just proved it's a team game, Cotton is the main man but plays team first, Cooks the same. Kelly telling home truths to players probably upset a few egos. Creek is talked up as best local player but results don’t show it and he’s had some reasonable teams. In all that if I’m SEM I’m holding him to his contract unless he going OS, wouldn’t let him go to another nbl club because under good coaching and team play he could be an asset, if playing to his strengths and learning defensively.

SEM needs a clean up and sometimes it’s got be brutal imo.

Reply #939646 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

SEM were a few moments of Jock Landale from a championship in 2021

This year they were 8-6 and then had probably the worst injury run any NBL team has faced in a single season in many years

It hasn't been all bad, but clearly, Simon Mitchell was a mediocre coach. With guys like Roth running around, you can't afford to have a mediocre coach. Kelly I'll withhold judgment due to the injuries.

Reply #939649 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

I meant to say SEM were a few moments of Jock Landale brilliance away from a likely championship in 2021

Reply #939650 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Should've, could’ve, would’ve. As I said SEM had some good sides but always so iso and bad defensively. JJs turned the screw each time on the defensive end, all sides that win championships play D.

Reply #939654 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

all sides that win championships play D.

Please explain this to SEG. :(

Reply #939657 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

The resigning of Doolittle I think that they are starting to understand that, Cotton, Pinder, are gun attacking players but SEM really need a rebounding defensive player that can chip in offensively. They got close PW, but it's an arms race happening out there.

Reply #939662 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last month

If somehow SEM could've retained Cook for when Williams went out again, it
would've potentially changed their season.

Agree with Dunkman, they far too often resort to ultra stagnant iso, especially toward the end of close games.

Can't really blame Creek if he wants our

Reply #939664 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last month

Creek was often the culprit wrt the going iso

Reply #939666 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last month

True.

Reply #939667 | Report this post

The Phantom  
Last month

From memory Kelly rubbed a few the wrong way at Cairns, but with a couple (?) of good years probably assumed he'd get picked up by a bigger club sooner than later. Had a pitstop in Perth and got the job in Sem.
Was probably more in the Cummings sacking than missing recovery sessions and community engagements. Then not signing Pineau and Adnan, despite their shortcomings, seemed rather abrupt given their previous contributions. Also Zou Qi's departure was rather sudden, grumblings there as well.
How many were really left after all the injuries. If Williams wouldn't get dumb fouls he was a game changer and really seemed to like playing here, but nearly spent more time commentating than playing. Creek seems the only one with credentials that management would listen to, given the state of the roster and signing Sobey it seems he'll have a big say in their direction. Cue the Trev rumours.
Good call on Phoenix name, have to burn and come back from the ashes. Luckily they're not the only one. Apart from the GF series, the NBL is really turning into a shit show these days.

Reply #939668 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

JJs, even kings in there winning years, Gleeson teams, united championships, show you need glue guys, the McDaniel, Simon, Swanki Lobo, Hire, Martin etc, SEM were in third place when Moller went down, Kenyon was injured in and out and they never recovered. No team could have Brown and Cummins in it, plus Creek and Williams, there just isn't enough balls. SEM got rolling when Kenyon joint the starting side with Moller and Cummins went to bench, they started rolling, the rest is history. Hopefully Kelly get a chance to have a say in the team that they put out, Creek should be in it, but needs to follow team first.

Reply #939669 | Report this post

Frog39  
Last month

All sounds like hearsay and speculation, but younger players often aren't used to blunt coaching, and some are precious and don't want to hear it. Kelly has probably come through that style which is more direct and abrasive than coddling egos. They had a really bad run with injuries, so I just don't think you can judge anything properly based on that bad luck.
I did think getting rid of Adnam and Pineau was interesting though as someone else said.

Reply #939696 | Report this post

Bluey  
Last month

the ones with the problem seemed to be the imports though, one would assume they've worked with tyrant/blunt type coaches a lot, so I'm not sure it's that.

Reply #939698 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last month

In some leagues, the imports are expected to carry the (weaker) locals. Kelly might be asking them to sacrifice some of their individual abilities to support the (stronger) locals, which some might not appreciate. (Forcing them to change how they play, weakening their chances of playing NBA or future earnings, playing for a coach they don't respect, whatever.)

Reply #939707 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

I'm certain coaches like Gleeson, Roth, Goorj, Vickerman don’t get dictated to by any player., even Scheuler in the end started benching Sobey and they have now parted ways, even Forde had a falling out with McCall for not following instructions.I remember bevo a while back stating he bent his ways for an import, didn’t work well and he’d never do it again. You have to work with your team, players, coaches etc but head coaches got be the boss. At a guess, maybe Kelly learned that in his last season in Cairns.

Reply #939709 | Report this post

Billo  
Last month

The season ahead will certainly be interesting for SEM. Always been a fan of MK, but with 1 year left he will be under the pump big time. Sobey is a great player but (at nearly 34 years) he also comes with a bit of abrasiveness. Maybe that is one of the reasons why he is so good. Plays with an edge. If MK, Sobey and Creek can all be on the same page then I believe SEM will be right up there next season. If not, then kaboom!

Reply #939722 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last month

I never understood the Mike Kelly love.

His record is horrible.

1st year at Cairns, dead last.

2nd year at Cairns, got lucky with Machado, Newbill and Oliver, SF elimination.

3rd year, DESPITE keeping Machado and Oliver, dead last again by a huge margin.

I understand this year was awful with injuries but that does not excuse being worse than Cairns and Adelaide.

Who wants a coach that carries the Wooden Spoon 3 in every 4 years? That would make Marty Clarke blush.

Reply #939725 | Report this post

Jayhoops  
Last month

I'm with you Lovebroker. I don't fully understand the fanfare for MK. While he's come across as a nice guy, that doesn't make him an effective communicator, let alone a tactician or someone who can build a program.

Reply #939728 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Casper Ware mentioned on OT, still doing excellent in Russia, bullets possibly.

Reply #939731 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

A little bit unfair on Kelly, got within a whisker of GF, losing to the cats and yes he had three good imports, you need good players to win whether they are imports or local. Oliver was talked up as nba player, the following season and just want to play for Oliver and team play went out the window, also Machado had injuries that season as well. The jury is probably still out on Kelly but certainly deserves this season. I'm not certain they are that big spenders other than a few at the top so the team balance isn’t good when a top player goes down.

Reply #939733 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last month

"2nd year at Cairns, got lucky with Machado, Newbill and Oliver, SF elimination."

This is one hell of a re-write of NBL history. There was nothing lucky about it, Kelly ran an outstanding team that year from recruiting to how they played on the court. That was one very connected team.

There's been good and bad with Mike, but I'd say he's on his last chance as an NBL head coach next season.

Reply #939735 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

I'm surprised that a lot more pressure hasn’t been place on Greer, he’s had time to put good rosters together, never really been balanced, yes injuries have hurt most of their seasons, to much reliance on a few big, big money players and not enough blue quality. Pineau example of being released.

Reply #939737 | Report this post

Yup  
Last month

Kelly got a lot out of Majok Majok that season too - at the same time which teams would take Kelly over their current coach?

Reply #939739 | Report this post

Frisbee 51  
Last month

Any truth to the rumour that the Wildcats may have put a last minute bid for Bul Kuol. He's currently in Perth, assuming checking out the Wildcat facilities. Would be a MASSIVE get!

Reply #939740 | Report this post

RobT  
Last month

Maybe MK would be a better manager (hope that's the right title) than coach. He seems able to recruit imports worth having to his program. It's not Head Coach but not far off.

Reply #939741 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Last month

Greer has played the ultimate safe route with many of his hires.
Mitchell -untied/tigers connection from playing days and post career
Short - nunawading connection from playing days
Hollingsworth - United connection
Kelly - United connection

Reply #939742 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

Glover to SEM potentially Hunter as well

Reply #939747 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

That would be very useful, keep Moller and three ex kings. I wonder if they going to play Sobey at the point.

Reply #939748 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last month

Didn't Sydney say that keeping Hunter was a priority?

Or was that the Smith owned Sydney and now its a new ownership Sydney?

Reply #939751 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Kuol to Perth would be super interesting, offensively Cotton would have to play a lot of point if Kuol was the 2 and Doolittle the 3. But Kuol/Doolittle defensively would cause some nightmares.

Reply #939759 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

You would think Kuol would be good friends with Pinder, certainly a good pick up, got get that reaching fouls under control though. Cats crowd could help pressure the refs there.

Reply #939761 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Last month

If Creek is up in the air. Eat humble pie, apologies, and try and get him back. Aside from his play, the good will from the fans will be worth it. I doubt he is leaving or would come back but it would be fun.

Reply #939766 | Report this post

Rareairunc  
Last month

Bul kuol was also at a jjs finals game in tassie, is that a hint to where he might be heading?? Good defensive player, good 3ball and versatile which all sounds like a jjs player. Could play the 3spot next doyle and guard 1-4 when needed saving doyle to play with more freedom and energy

Reply #939768 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

If Creek is leaving it's for a lot more money, I don’t believe it got anything to do with the club. If on the money SEM are paying him he can double, triple it in Asia.

Reply #939769 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Don't think you can read into if players go interstate to watch the finals, Nathan Sobey was in Illawarra to watch game 2 of Melb/Ill semi-finals.
Kuol hasn't been linked to Tassie as far as I know

Reply #939771 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last month

If Creek is up in the air. Eat humble pie, apologies, and try and get him back.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/mitch-creek-says-he-wont-be-returning-to-the-adelaide-36ers/news-story/25dfb13c3eb388bd29b601ece4ab3dca

Creek, 26, elaborated on Facebook.

"There is no water under the bridge for me, as for when you burn something, it cannot be repaired to how it once was," Creek said in a Facebook post on Friday morning.

Reply #939777 | Report this post

Jayhoops  
Last month

Schueller has made some comments that, while probably accurate, probably could've been left unspoken:

"Nathan's an outstanding player and been a good servant of the club, but we really felt like we needed to lean more into our culture and our habits that we believe in every single day that are going to get us the ultimate success.

“Collectively we just feel like we needed to continue to lean into bringing winners into the club and how we can continue to grow in that space."

Article: https://shorturl.at/ehz12

Reply #939823 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

A fresh start might get Sobey back to some of his best play, Kelly could be the right coach for that, obviously Sobey does need to be more team to achieve that imo.

Reply #939824 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

I don't love the Bullets airing it that way, but my guess is whatever took place internally probably made them feel like it was a more mild response than it seems to us.

Reply #939830 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

JD, tried to start this reboot a few seasons back, you can see the difference when senior management, owners back you, he preached D and teamwork, just players didn't conform.

Reply #939832 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last month

Olgun saying Wiley and the 36ers are parting ways. Was a mutual option, but not sure which side (or if it was both) who decided to not exercise the option.

Reply #939854 | Report this post

The Phantom  
Last month

Creeks main Adelaide problem is ownership, if he goes then it could feasible.

Reply #939857 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last month

I'm pretty sure Creeks "I'll never play in Adelaide again" comments did contain a "under current ownership" addendum.

Reply #939860 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Matt logue reporting that Adelaide are interested in Tajhere McCall.
Is he an upgrade on Trey Kell? (who was seriously underrated last year)

Reply #939861 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last month

Wouldn't say he's an upgrade or a downgrade on Kell, but I always assumed the 36ers picked Kell up cheap after an indifferent year with SEM, so maybe they just don't want to pay him now?

I also think the 36ers need better ball handling from their main play-maker that Kell didn't exactly provide at times as well. I'd say Tajhere is certainly more athletic than Kell who often looks like he'd struggle to jump over a tally-ho paper too.

Reply #939862 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

I'd prefer Kell tbh

Reply #939864 | Report this post

Jonno  
Last month

I would assume McCall would be more the McCarron replacement

I hope they replace Kell and Wiley with a high level PG and PF

If they get the imports right net to Vasiljevic and Humphries we could have a pretty nice starting 5

Reply #939878 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last month

I was wondering about McCall at Adelaide when I heard he was parting ways with the Taipans. He would bring nice defensive size and athleticism next to DJV in the backcourt and would help with an uptempo style. But on the flip side, he lead the league in turnovers and is not a good shooter.

I think I'd prefer Kell as a steadier hand, but there is potential there if McCall could continue to improve his decision-making. He only turns 27 later this year.

If the Sixers are parting ways with Wiley, hopefully that means they will sign Galloway and give him the opportunity to start next to Humphries. Then put good money into imports at point guard and wing and perhaps a cheaper third import to backup Humphries and Galloway.

Reply #939881 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Michael Randall:
- Mangok Mathiang won't be returning to NZ, will explore Europe tho SEM have interest.
- Alex Ducas is close to a done deal with Cairns

Reply #939924 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

- WMW almost certainly won't be back in NZ, Perth seem to be the front runners.
- McCarron more likely to be at NZ rather than Perth next year.
- Le'Afa will become a free agent.

Reply #939927 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

McVeigh signed on for 2 more years, Drmic and Deng also have signed on at the JJs.

Along with Magnay and Doyle that is a fairly handy core at the Jackjumpers.

Question marks on Lee / Crawford.

Only need to add to the core not re establish to go again next year.

Reply #939955 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

Imagine if

WMW and Motum join Brisbane
Cleveland and Galloway Adelaide
Hawks retain largely their roster
Tassie will retain largely their roster
Cairns and SEM nail their imports

I feel like we'd genuinely have 10 even competitive teams

Reply #939965 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Yeah we weren't even far off that last year, every single team won at least 10 games. SEM fell off the tracks towards the end, but were playing with an NBL1 roster and had a couple of cracks.

Reply #939966 | Report this post

Baller  
Last month

Scout I'm hearing lee is a very good chance to be back Roth loves being able to rotate between him and magnay. I haven’t heard anything about Crawford though

Reply #939967 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Is Sobey going to strengthen SEM, if done deal why hasn't it been announced. SEM and Sixers got lot to improve, Cairns as well, balance looking very reasonable with JJs certainly leading the way.

Reply #939968 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Michael Randall reporting Le'Afa is set to join the Kings. Has the potential to be a solid bench piece for them.

Reply #939977 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

Cheers Baller, can understand where Roth is coming from. If so hope Lee can have a injury free season.

Even with Crawfords huge game 5 performance not sure if Roth trusts him - did look like he gave him the green light. If JJs get WMW may not bring Crawford back

I have always want a Clark type from Illawarra but I ain't the coach.

Reply #939986 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Scout, I agree with you, very hard to imagine a world where Crawford and WMW are together on the jackjumpers next season

Reply #939991 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Well it's literally impossible cause you can't have 3 imports and 2 marquees (Magnay and WMW)

Reply #939992 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

I believe you can have as many marquee type players as you like, you just have to pay the tax. 3 imports and 1 marquee or 2 and 2, 1 and 3. So if you had three imports, you can have Cooks, WMW, Creek, any big money players but with three imports only equal one marquee, the rest you can pay what you like but you pay tax on how much you go over the cap. If one owner really wanted to win he could bring in who he likes and pay, pay.

Reply #939993 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

MaxM technically possible based off Dunkmans explanation but practically no chance of the JJs spending that much I reckon, especially since they've still got to pay for either Lee or his replacement

Reply #939994 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last month

Yeah, I don't know where people get the idea that someone at the league office is deciding who counts as a marquee. I've seen a lot of "how is that player a marquee?" or "how can they have three imports when they have these two marquee players?"

Teams can use marquee status on anyone they want. They're free to not use it at all. It's not mandatory.

Reply #939999 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

Last year they released all the squad total salaries. Winner of they'll do that again this year? Was an interesting take on things

Reply #940001 | Report this post

Superfan  
Last month

Ben and Dunkman,

Sobey has not signed at SEM. Free agency has not officially opened yet.

Teams can only re-sign or release they're own players during this time, or players not signed with NBL teams last season (ie. College players).

Players can be rumored to be signed (Sobey to SEM), but not officially announced until Free Agency period officially starts (Mid April).

Reply #940002 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

It was reported that SEM paid a buyout fee, similar to what transpired between Cairns and NZ with Menega ( spelling) so if true they could announce it.

Reply #940003 | Report this post

Superfan  
Last month

In that case SEM are surely going to have an expensive year.

Sobey - buy out
Vague - contract terminated (1 year to pay out)
Williams - contract terminated (luxury clause payout)
Moller - injured (still have to pay until able to return to play)
Creek - who knows (1 year remaining but reportedly not wanting to play)

Reply #940004 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Vague probably agreed to leave if he was told he'd get no time. No cost
Sobey, who knows what is happening there. Is this the player Kelly would choose?
Williams left chasing more money OS, no cost there.
Moller, insurance should cover costs. Should return sooner rather than later.
Creek, all rumours so far, looks like he’s chasing Chinese money though.

Reply #940005 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

I'm interested to see whether Gorjok Gak returns to SEM or not, played solid minutes after Williams went down. Has anyone heard indication on if he’s likely to stay/go?

Reply #940006 | Report this post

Superfan  
Last month

Vague and Williams wouldnt leave a contract for no cost (imagine if you were told by your employer they didnt want you anymore but there was still $110k+ owed to you).

Reply #940007 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Williams wanted more money and to go back to Japan, SEM released on his wishes, it's not costing them a dollar.
Vague could have stayed and sat on benches end, even more than he did this year, SEM probably made that clear and he also has probably decided to find greener pastures, maybe Japan again and leave. Again not costing SEM a dollar.
There is no free gifts in professional sport.

Reply #940009 | Report this post

Superfan  
Last month

Yeah right hahaha even Adelaide screwed themselves for years with the same scenario with coaches Wright and Henry but okay....

Reply #940010 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

They didn't want to leave, that’s the difference.

Reply #940011 | Report this post

Superfan  
Last month

Vague wanted to stay, Kelly and Greer didnt want him anymore.

SEM coaches didnt like Williams from the get go, they inherited a player they didnt like, Williams loved Melbourne

Reply #940012 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Interest in Roman Siulepa was already high, and with him having just been named on the Albert Schweitzer All-Tournament Team that interest will only have increased I suspect.

Reply #940013 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Each to their own view, my rumour mill is obviously a different story to yours.

Reply #940014 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Siuelpa likely to be a next star, Adelaide and Tassie the most likely.

Reply #940015 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

MaxM I reckon he'd be a great fit into Tassie, will be interesting to see where he ends up

Reply #940016 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last month

it's not costing them a dollar...not costing SEM a dollar.
There is no free gifts in professional sport.
Is there some distinction between "not costing a dollar" and "free" that I'm missing?

Reply #940018 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

I'm not certain what you are asking but imo they left on their own accord without needing a pay out from SEM. Unfortunate for both parties imo, I suppose SEM wanted a clean slate.

Reply #940019 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

"Sobey has not signed at SEM. Free agency has not officially opened yet.

Teams can only re-sign or release they're own players during this time, or players not signed with NBL teams last season (ie. College players).

Players can be rumored to be signed (Sobey to SEM), but not officially announced until Free Agency period officially starts (Mid April)."

I mean, logically that makes sense, but explain Mennenga.

Reply #940020 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

Menninga wasn't a few agent. He was a context buy out which can be done prior

Reply #940021 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

There's no way those guys are walking away from their contract with no pay dunkman. That's not how it works. Surely you know that. Now they may have a contract offer elsewhere in which case they will agree to terminate or for partial payment. But unless vague has another deal inked he's not accepting termination with no compensation. I'm your words that would be a free gift!!

Reply #940022 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

Angus I meant contract buy out!

Reply #940023 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Why would they release Vague if it was going to cost money. He wasn't that bad, anyway good luck to him.

Reply #940025 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last month

Why would they release Vague if it was going to cost money.
Do you think keeping him doesn't cost money?

Reply #940034 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last month

Vague was a disaster, good decision to pay him out

Reply #940036 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last month

Not quite right

If there is a buy out then the team releasing the player has no financial ties to that player and all financial responsibilities fall to the new team.

IF a player is contracted but is getting pushed out they will ask the current team to match their contract value. That is the more typical way for these things to have happened in the past. EG player is on 150k per annum but can only get an offer of 100k from the new team. New team pays the 100k , old team pays the 50k

Reply #940043 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

"Menninga wasn't a few agent. He was a context buy out which can be done prior"

Yeah I get it, are there prior examples of this taking place that I simply don't remember though?

Reply #940040 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

I think it has been happening but just not explicit. For example when leafa signed with breakers he was released from his SEM contract early. There could have been some compensation for that early release but I don't think we'd know?

Reply #940041 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

Dunkman, if vague goes signs with another club or league then SEM would only have to top up the contract and only that amount counts towards salary cap. So a much better result assuming he can find a contract somewhere! If not you're right, not much to gain other than maybe a roster spot

Reply #940042 | Report this post

Shano76  
Last month

Would it be safe to assume Cleveland is not returning if McCall is a target? I was assuming one spot on a PG, one on a wing and one on a Wiley replacement.

Reply #940047 | Report this post

Jonno  
Last month

Cleveland signed a 2 year deal at Maccabi on presumably more money than NBL clubs offer,

So unfortunately I don't think he's back, so McCall likely targeted to take the spot he would have taken as the import wing.

Reply #940048 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Ok thanks for all the above, I just thought that if I'm vague, I’d rather go somewhere where I can get time rather than warm the bench, even if it’s the b3 league in Japan. Imo it was very hard to play to play at SEM last season with so many ball hogs even some benchies, he didn’t get to show if he was useful.

Reply #940050 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last month

Vagues numbers when he was last with the cats (and the few seasons before) are not good (given he didnt play many minutes). He then went to Japan and played high minutes with decent stats, no surprises considering a lot of avg NBL level players kill it over there. He came back to SEM which was a plop-show, played slightly higher minutes than he did with the cats for the same old underwhelming stats. Combo of team in turmoil and hasn't improved at all overseas in NBL skill level terms.

Maybe he's going back to Japan for equal to more moolah, who knows. Nice to be able to do that on the strength of a very forgettable NBL season if so.

Reply #940055 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

Vague looked like Redhage against Sydney in that horrible/amazing victory (depending on perspective), but hey, that's not saying much against our D last season.

Reply #940057 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Hearing breakers looking at out contract SEM player, not many that would suit, possibly Terangi.

Reply #940058 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Possibly Gorjok Gak also? Feels like he could maybe be a good fit with them

Reply #940059 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Gak contracted.

Reply #940061 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Are you sure? Everywhere I've seen has him listed as a 1 year contract for NBL24.
https://www.semphoenix.com.au/news/phoenix-sign-211cm-centre-gorjok-gak-for-nbl24

Reply #940062 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

You are right, he's not contracted, a couple good players there not contracted. Looking like a complete rebuild. Sobey and ??

Reply #940063 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

They'll be pleased to have Foxwell and Ayre coming back, Kenyon probably didn't have quite the impact they'd hoped for this season but still a solid player. Don't imagine many of those off-contract players will be in Phoenix uniforms next season but we'll see.

Reply #940064 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Not convinced on Ayre, to hot and cold, likes shooting it a lot, defensively good one week and crap the next. Foxwell has potential yes. I'm not certain where they’ll get there players from not lot out there. Kenyon was good till moller went down and then basically had to cover to many holes. Will be an interesting free agents list this Friday but not looking that strong.

Reply #940065 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Yeah looking forward to the list being published, I get the sense WMW and Bul Koul will be the 2 big names

Reply #940067 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

Ayre was asked to play too big a role last season and is not consistent enough. He's one of those guys where if he knocks down a couple of shots you keep him out there, but you don't want him out there for 14+ minutes a game every night.

Kenyon on the other hand is the kind of player you want on a good team to complement your stars. Much more valuable to a winning team than he is to a losing one.

Reply #940068 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Agreed, Kenyon played better basketball on the JJs in NBL22 and 23.

Reply #940069 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

JJs players all play D, certainly not a strong point for SEM in any of their seasons. Really looking forward to SEM, Cairns and Sixers lists.

Reply #940070 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

What do you think the chances are of the Sixers going all local? Been some discussion about it but I'd be surprised if they didn't roll in with at least 1 import

Reply #940072 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

Please not te rangi... pleeeeaaaaase!

Reply #940075 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

I was thinking in the weekend mody would like gak! With pineau as well though that's basically three 5s so would have them play menninga mostly at 4 and I'm not sure he's mobile enough for that

Reply #940076 | Report this post

RobT  
Last month

Just read on "hoopla".
"Baynes, Aron CTR Linked To Bullets and Taipans"

Aron Baynes to be coached by Adam Forde. Nothing against either one but could be fun to watch!

Reply #940077 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Thought it was mentioned by Olgun at some point that it was unlikely he'd be anywhere other than Brisbane but would be great fun to see him at Cairns. Taipans could do with a big like him.

Reply #940078 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

Am thinking now it might be risetto that's the released SEM player the breakers are signing. That's what I heard

Reply #940097 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Looking like Creek will go to China

Sucks for SEM.

Reply #940103 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Yeah, he's said if he remains in the NBL it'll '100%' be for SEM. The question though is does he stay here? As you say its seeming like maybe not...

Reply #940105 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Lot water to go under the bridge before Creek gets to China, back at SEM if doesn't pan out. Makes it hard to build a roster if you don’t know who is in or out, certainly if it's your captain and 30 minutes plus player. In all that Creek has very good stats in China even if only getting very short court time.

Reply #940106 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last month

Finally MK gets to choose his own squad and have them play his way???

Oh, wait - here's another shit sandwich for the guy - the ongoing Creek saga. China this week, maybe Europe next week, then maybe Japan, ...

Given Creek’s performance over the years bringing little success for Phoenix, they can’t do much worse than to say 'bye’ to him, but with a bench spot left open just in case. Then it would be up to Creek to adapt if he comes back to play for Phoenix.

Reply #940108 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Agree hoopie. Very hard to put a squad together, interesting to see what happens from here, why would Creek even come out and tell everyone.

Reply #940109 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Definitely getting the sense that this won't be a quick rebuild.

Reply #940110 | Report this post

Ducky  
Last month

Is this just all a ploy for Creek to try and get more money from SEM?. Wouldn't be surprised given the Cooks deal.

Reply #940121 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Cooks got two championships, Creek one playoff.

Very quiet on most fronts, kings Noi and Cooks not much else, cats Doolittle, not many top free agents, maybe all clubs trying to sign there own before list out Friday.

Is Delaney contracted or player option?

Reply #940122 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

It's probably in part a play to leverage more cash, but I think Creek would probably that an OS deal if the money was right also. Haven't checked on him the past few weeks, but he wasn't playing much in China prior to that.

I saw a rumour online re: Cotton and I believe an Italian club which to me feels like it could possibly be in the same category, or maybe just adding a little additional pressure from Cotton's side on the Cats to make the right moves this offseason.

Reply #940126 | Report this post

GordonG  
Last month

"Jo Lual-Acuil Jr is set to pursue opportunities overseas, choosing to decline his player option with Melbourne United for NBL25"

Reply #940127 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last month

Delaney has a player option

Reply #940128 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

With JLA departing Melbourne, and hukporti headed to the draft, Melbourne United will be after some new big men next season. Olgun mentioned the interesting idea on overtime a few weeks ago of a MU and Marcus Lee reunion, although I don't personally see this happening.

Reply #940129 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Is Delaney returning? The list come out Friday, you would think a decision very shortly. His stats in Spain been ok but his plus minus been average, lots coaches around the world look closely at plus, minus.

Reply #940130 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Creek's turning 32 this month, don't think he has a wife and kids?

If not, might want to make bank for the next few years while he's still an elite player.

JLA's move is what I was expecting. United will need to replace him with an import which makes it a variable situation. They knew what they were getting with JLA. But he wasn't at his best during the playoffs, so if we can get someone like Marcus Lee (the way he was playing in 22-23), or Josh Boone from 2017-18, that would be an upgrade on JLA's play late in the season.

Reply #940131 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Long was solid in 19-20 too

Reply #940132 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last month

WM to Perth is a strong rumour. He is being wooed by his good mate Pinder. Plus he will start next to Cotton

A taipans player is also linked with Perth

Reply #940134 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Long always has very reasonable stats, his sides don't win though, including his Japanese team. I don’t see Vickerman wanting him back.
Yes rumour is WMW is looking very closely at cats, would work with two marquee players in Pinder and WMW and two imports in Cotton and Doolittle. Now that would be an excellent team.

Reply #940135 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

If WMW were to go to Perth, which team has a better trio of stars- Tassie (Doyle, McVeigh, Magnay) or Perth (Cotton, WMW, Pinder)? Curious to hear people's opinions.

Reply #940136 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Great hypothetical. I'm a Perth fan but that Tassie trio just lead their team to a championship, until any Perth big 3 does similar, then it's the Jackies all the way.

Reply #940139 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Dead heat, both excellent.

Reply #940140 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Yeah I reckon it's pretty close, but if Perth rock into pre season with that big 3 there'll be some high expectations for them.

Reply #940141 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

DJ Hogg and Jacksn Makoi both leaving Sydney

Reply #940145 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last month

The jack jumpers trio is a proven commodity. Perth has a more " talented “ trio but the jumpers for now have prov n to be champions and fit together in a team structure. To be honest Pinder and Cotton didn't exactly look all that together as a trio.

Hopefully next season with a season under their belt they will play better off each other

Reply #940146 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

Sad to see Makoi, but great opportunity for him to go to Cairns.

Hogg... didn't even get close to his best from him last season through no fault of his own. Not at all surprised to see him go, but I think Hogg/Cooks would have been a killer frontcourt.

Reply #940149 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Jesse Wagstaff has resigned with perth on a 1 year deal

Reply #940150 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Big respect to Jesse, just keeps playing!

Reply #940151 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last month

Wagstaff has incredible leadership skills.Those values are in fact invaluable. You just can't measure that. Players respect him because he leads by example .

Reply #940154 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

I dint understand this marquee player rule but I see for 2024 the parameters are:

Marquee players
Marquee 1 - $233,697.34
Marquee 2 - $311,597.82
Marquee 3 - $389,496.93
Marquee 4 - $467,396.04

So I'm assuming that means if you sign two then the second has to be on at least $311k... and so on? Is that right?

If so to your point on the cats dunkman that would create a large salary requirement wouldn't it? Or am I misunderstanding how it works? Surely Pinder isn't at that level already?

Reply #940155 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

I believe the marquee cap was 150k and 250k previously, could be wrong but that's a massive increase. Also are import’s salary worked in gross or net towards the cap. If the marquee has increased to that amount the two million cap isn’t that much, no wonder players looking OS for more dollars.

Reply #940158 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

Prather and Brisbane both pick up their mutual option. A little surprising on the surface of it, but might have been the intent all along.

Reply #940159 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last month

Jesse Wagstaff has resigned with perth on a 1 year deal
Where are you hearing that?

Reply #940160 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Reported by olgun

Reply #940161 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Also are import's salary worked in gross or net towards the cap.

Gross.

Reply #940168 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

UConn win the men's tournament just quietly.

Reply #940169 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Ok thanks PW.
Eleven players per team.
Bottom five got be paid 700k of cap ( round figures)
Total cap between minimum 1.75 million and max 1.95 million ( round figures)
Marquee 1 /234k, 2/ 312k 3/ 390k 4/ 467k
By the time imports take their cut plus cars and accommodation, it would be tough staying under the cap.
If Cotton is on 700k and clearly deserves it how do Perth stay under the cap on the above? Just using cats as example, JJs and Doyle as well?.

Reply #940173 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

Yeah, the cats must be way way over. They were high last year before signing Pinder. It seems nearly all teams are over... judging by last year's roster total salaries:

https://www.espn.com.au/nbl/story/_/id/36175408/every-nbl-teams-total-spend-2022-23-season

Reply #940183 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

As many expected WMW will not be returning to NZ

Reply #940184 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last month

Team spend and cap figure are two different things.

Cooks might be on $1 million but only about 20% of tbst would be against the cap.

Asian players and next stars also don't count towards the cap.

For each game a player misses due to injury that doesn’t count towards the cap as well.

If a team is over they pay tax.

Reply #940185 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

If Cooks is on a million a season and he is kings number one marquee his amount towards the cap is 234k, more than 20%, it gets interesting in the number two marquee at 312k, clubs are probably looking at imports for that figure and number three at 390k. Number four marquee, no chance. Imo it's favouring imports ahead of locals and while the finals were very good the last season was very average and some imports terrible, Usher, Nader, Brown, Valentine to name a few.

Reply #940186 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last month

Imports can't be marquees.

Reply #940188 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Marquee Player:

A 'high level' Australian or New Zealand player who may attract a significant salary. Most teams do not publically specificy who they have picked for these spots, so the information is not available in the above data. Each team is allowed one marquee player on their roster and their salary which counts towards the cap is fixed (regardless of what it actually is). Teams can choose to switch one of their two (or three depending on the season) import spots out for an additional Marquee Player spot should they choose. Each additional Marquee Player spot used counts slightly more than the previous towards the salary cap. According to the NBL in 2024-25, the scale is as follows:

Marquee One : $233,697.34 (available by default)

Marquee Two : $311,597.82 (using this will remove one import spot)

Marquee Three : $389,496.93 (using this will remove a second import spot)

Marquee Four : $467,396.04 (using this will remove the third import spot (...likely no one will ever use this.))

https://spatialjam.com/contracttracker

So of course Cooks will be a marquee.

Presumably JLA was a marquee for United, along with *at least* one of Delly, CG and Travers(but not all 3, as they had Clark).

So losing JLA means United can sign another import - but, unlike JLA, that import's entire salary will count against the cap.

Reply #940189 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

It's also possible that none of them were marquees and United simply chose not to sign other imports. But thats not very likely!

My guess is JLA, Delly and CG were marquees and Travers wasn't, allowing them to sign one import only which they did.

Reply #940190 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

This example really does highlight the advantage of having an Australian player over an import.

If you're *up to* 15% over the salary cap, each extra dollar means 25c of luxury tax. If you're up to 30% over the cap, it means 50c of luxury tax

I like the incentive of getting guys like Cooks, Delly, JLA etc into the NBL so it's a good system

Reply #940191 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

It might help to top one or two Australian players but after that I'm not convinced.

Reply #940193 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

Malauch returning to Sydney, and apparently we have also signed Keli Leaupepe from LMU who I know nothing about outside of the fact that he seems to be a chonky undersized stretch 4 based on stats.

Reply #940196 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

He'll be solid, nothing special. Similar type player to kyle bowen with less size/rebounding and a bit more of a shot

Reply #940197 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last month

Perth strong favourites to get WM . I'll be interesting to see how they will surround Cotton, Pinder, WM and Doolittle with complementary players. Will Tai Webster pickup his player option to return as a sixth man

That’s more a role suited to his skilled sets?

Reply #940200 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

I don't think the breakers will be too disappointed with WMW leaving. With PJC signed there was too much $$ wrapped up in duplicated skill set. He's worth more too other teams and they need an outstanding SG or PF to complement PJCs style.

Personally I'd like to watch WMW for Brisbane and it would allow him to develop his shooting game whereas at the cats that's unlikely to be a focus

Reply #940206 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Tai Webster has a team option - perth are almost certainly waiting to see of they get WMW before they accept or reject

Reply #940207 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

WMW is apparently seeking a multi-year deal, of over half a million a year.
Brisbane, Perth, SEM, Tassie are still in it.

I know he's a different player, but this whole race reminds of Mitch McCarron's move to Adelaide and their overpay.

Reply #940210 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Brisbane have Norton and Scott already signed up?

WMW isn't the right fit there.

Prather's addition was an odd one- 3 imports locked up already (Smith, Prather, Scott) but lost marquee Sobey? Not a great position.

Adelaide and United both looking good- strong Aussie groups locked in, just need solid imports plus one more depth Aussie and they'll be strong.

Reply #940223 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Local* not Aussie I mean

And Isaac White at Brisbane too? Damn. WMW would be a 4th point guard.

Reply #940224 | Report this post

RobT  
Last month

Breakers choice.

*PJC for instant success. Undoubtedly one of the best PGs but has already shown that he is keen to look for better, o/s, opportunities. Or

*WMW for long term success. Much more likely to settle and definitely worth building around his PG skills and leadership.

Shame that they don't seem to complement each other.

Reply #940240 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

I don't think there was any chance of WMW being a long term option at breakers. In fact more chance with PJC I think.

But anyway it was players option not breakers and he's decided to leave so both can move on

Reply #940244 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

If WMW can recapture the form he had to close out the season before last he'll be worth the cash. The injuries and inconsistency (both obviously related) are the thing for me. It's a gamble at his asking price (if true) but he's 25 years old and has shown glimpses of being one of the best local guards in the league so someone will roll the dice, but I'm not unhappy that Syd are apparently not in the race.

Reply #940249 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Kings forked out big on Cooks, WMW is 26 in a few days, was magnificent a season ago but overall it's still a little risky going massive long term for big dollars, it’ll be risk and reward. Certainly has the tools.

Reply #940252 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

WMW now reported by Aussie Hoopla to be headed to Brisbane, solid recruiting for them if so.

Reply #940470 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

I'd like to see that, it makes for a more even spread.

I don’t want to see powerhouses like Sydney Perth Melbourne stack the talent

Reply #940471 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

Agree KET....although would be pleased if ended up a JJ. Not looking likely

Reply #940472 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

So looks like Kuol to kings and WMW to bullets, be good results all round. I'm waiting to see how Kuol fouls drop with the Goorj breathing down refs necks.

Reply #940474 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

WMW to Bullets is weird, they already have Norton and Shannon Scott?

Reply #940485 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

It's his hometown so that would be the factor.

Reply #940487 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

Agree maxm. Sentimentally sounds great but I think it'd be a bit dumb, especially to commit a large portion of their cap for multi years. His output isn't enough to build a team around.

Reply #940494 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Gorjok Gak to Tasmania to fill Marcus Lee's role

Reply #940518 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

MaxM is that being reported anywhere?

Reply #940519 | Report this post

Beach Baller  
Last month

Gak to JJ's only rumour at this stage. Mango also a chance.

Reply #940527 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:48 pm, Sat 4 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754