Manders
Earlier this month

Baseline Hoops and privacy issues with filming

Are Baseline Hoops and other content providers authorised / accredited by Basketball Victoria and / or Basketball Australia to attend games, video and then publish content? Do Baseline Hoops and other similar businesses seek permission from all parents of children they film? If so, is Basketball Victoria and Basketball Australia responsible for that content, that relates to children? This is a very interesting question for Basketball Victoria and Basketball Australia to consider, and perhaps for various regulators to also think through, including because of the comments that are attached to such videos on social media platforms.

Topic #51967 | Report this topic

DeepWombat  
Two weeks ago

I am no lawyer, but I think the decision to allow or not allow filming inside private properties like stadiums are at the discretion of the stadium owners and operators. In public spaces and in private spaces where filming is allowed, I don't believe that the photographer/videographer needs to get permission from parents of children filmed, under current Australian privacy laws.

BA/BV do require accreditation, or sometimes deny any filming at all, at some of their own events, in conjunction with the stadium operators.

Theoretically I suppose that BV could ask all VJBL stadium operators to deny filming at their venues, if they wanted to. I know certain associations have rules around filming with their venues for domestic comps.

Reply #941225 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Two weeks ago

I mean each player / team / club signs a VJBL form/waiver at the start of the year. Teams are suppose to the check with each other.

Baseline hoops do check off the higher teams they film.

But also for coaches some venues glory league and we don't have a say on that

Reply #941236 | Report this post

JT  
Two weeks ago

Please don't ban Baseline Hoops. How else would I know that random 14 year old is a BUCKET

Reply #941239 | Report this post

LC  
Two weeks ago

Don't guess...there is a policy in place.

Photography Policy

Reply #941244 | Report this post

LC  
Two weeks ago

Also, there is a media accreditation process and social media policy.

Reply #941245 | Report this post

Manders  
Two weeks ago

Interesting, thank you.

Would be good to know who is accredited - is there a list?

I see that one of the terms and conditions of media accreditation is: "To conform with Basketball Victoria's child safety policy, coverage by a third party can only be of athletes, 16 years and over. Failing to adhere to this policy will result in media accreditation be immediately revoked."

So, based on BV's own laws, media should not cover under 16 and below, and perhaps not under 18 given some players will not have turned 16.

Wonder if this is policed?

Reply #941255 | Report this post

SlowMoMitch  
Two weeks ago

I know some clubs pay these content creators to promote some of their players / teams.

And some parents pay as well to create hype around their child.

Reply #941302 | Report this post

Manders  
Two weeks ago

If that is true, and I am not convinced, looks like Knox has been spending up!

Reply #941326 | Report this post

SlowMoMitch  
Two weeks ago

Not sure about Knox but from what I've been told there were a couple of AAU clubs/players. It's a good way to promote AAU Australia as a whole.

Reply #941363 | Report this post

Manders  
Two weeks ago

BV should shut these sites down / keep them out of courts, or regulate them. Not a lawyer but my prediction is that BV will be sued or referred to regulators at some point by a parent or child. Time bomb.

Reply #941365 | Report this post

SlowMoMitch  
Two weeks ago

I wont be surprise if they actually have secured accredition from BV. They are in a way promoting basketball in the country. What the sites can do is to delete the detrimental comments on the videos the same way this forum is regulated.

These kind of sites are popular in the states too so if there are any legalities, it would have been already tackled there as people from the states like to sue.

Reply #941366 | Report this post

Massive  
Two weeks ago

Seriously parents pay them to promote there kids. Thats bad.

Reply #941367 | Report this post

SlowMoMitch  
Two weeks ago

Why is it bad?

Reply #941468 | Report this post

Massive  
Two weeks ago

Are you a parent that paid?

Reply #941503 | Report this post

SlowMoMitch  
Last week

Nah, I wont pay for that. I don't think it's beneficial unless your kid is trying to secure a US college spot or state selection, then just maybe social media may create some buzz to get noticed.

I would think that those who paid, are just proud parents that have the money or connections for it.

Reply #941512 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last week

Never underestimate how competitive some parents can be at higher levels, for their own status if not for their kid's. Sad but common.

Reply #941515 | Report this post

DeepWombat  
Last week

I don't think appearing on Baseline or the like has much effect, if any, on state team selection. Baseline generally features the top scorers on Friday night. The state team selectors aren’t just picking the top scorers. There are plenty of state team players who have never been featured on Baseline, and there are plenty of kids that are regularly featured on Baseline who will never make a state team.

As far as raising some profile for college, I can see a bit of value there. Baseline seems like the equivalent Instagram pages in the US.

Reply #941517 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:18 am, Sun 19 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754