Isaac
Two weeks ago

Jokic wins his third MVP award

Becomes the ninth player to win three or more MVPs, joining Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (six), Michael Jordan (five), Bill Russell (five), Wilt Chamberlain (four), LeBron James (four), Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Moses Malone.

Nuggets matched their franchise high for wins, and tied for best in the West.

79 first place votes, ahead of SGA's 15 and Luka's 4. Giannis got one.

MVP vote finished:

Jokic
SGA
Luka
Giannis
Brunson
Tatum
Edwards
Sabonis
Durant

Jokic played 79 games, averaging 26.4 PPG, 12.4 RPG and 9 APG. 58.3% FG, 35.9% 3P and 81.7% FT.

Shaq is stroppy, telling Jokic that SGA deserved the MVP instead.

Jokic: "To be honest, I liked last year when I didn't win it and we won a championship much better."

Topic #51978 | Report this topic

Big Fudge  
Two weeks ago

So last 5 years has been Jokic, Embiid, Giannis. Last American to win was Harden.

Reply #941386 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two weeks ago

Top four from outside the USA. Add Wemby next season.

Edwards might move up a few spots?

Reply #941391 | Report this post

Esky68  
Two weeks ago

Should've been SGA

Ant top 3

Reply #941414 | Report this post

Cram  
Two weeks ago

I reckon this will be Jokic's last. Voter fatigue is a thing - its likely why LeBron only has 4.

Especially if the Nuggets do go out here easily in the second round, voters will take that into consideration, even though it is a regular season award.

I think Shai has a great shot next year if he and OKC can repeat what they've done this season. Edwards might get up there next season too, but i think his placing for this season was fair.

Luka is due as well. They'll need a much better regular season to have a real shot though.

Reply #941421 | Report this post

rjd  
Last week

Based on his MVP placings over the years compared with his stats and team performances, there's an argument to be made that Luka has already experienced that voter fatigue. I expect SGA to have momentum for next year.

Reply #941544 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:08 pm, Mon 20 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754