RobT
Last month

NBL1 North 2024 Season Starts.

The NBL1 North 2024 season starts tomorrow with Logan v North Gold Coast.
Friday has Northside v Brisbane and Mackay v Townsville.
Saturday and Sunday are loaded with the other teams, some playing double headers.

Up to date, pre-season reporting on NBL1 North is hard to find so not sure how teams have come through the off season. Opening round will be very interesting. Right now, I haven't a clue.

Love to see your predictions and discussions throughout the season. So long as there's enough interest, I'll add my own.

Topic #51940 | Report this topic

mball  
Last month

Definitely interested!

BQ had a season preview recently on social media but it was behind a paywall... seriously?!

Jon Guarna, my favourite commentator posted his predictions for cahmpionship winning teams and MVP yesterday also.

Let the games begin!

Reply #940175 | Report this post

Damo 75  
Last month

Seriously, pre-season reporting has been a disgrace. The NBL1 website still has last years squads listed, so apart from a couple a articles there's very little to go off.

Reply #940176 | Report this post

RobT  
Last month

Link to; "Jon Guarna, my favourite commentator posted his predictions for championship winning teams and MVP yesterday also." if possible?

Reply #940180 | Report this post

mball  
Last month

RobT - it is on his FB page.

Reply #940195 | Report this post

RobT  
Last month

Damn! Not a fan of FB. Truth is I can't make sense of it. I'll try, Thanks.

Reply #940208 | Report this post

RobT  
Last month

Been tryin'. Getting nowhere. Want to share his predictions? (I'll get help with the FB bit!)

Reply #940211 | Report this post

mball  
Last month

RobT, on NBL1 North website:
https://nbl1.com.au/news/2024-nbl1-north-predictions?fbclid=IwAR2SBHJJqHUVfYplRJtGfh7zGkj-oqI9peRWzZaI9vLVrg6On7704vk2o7I_aem_AbyPjfK-Bck_qj9eh5m_olHE1waOCnRM7iV64icjlo0WHNGckbUDrExHYZ2EGwOhtVC2xwHGij1RM6sofxBk4AXc

Reply #940317 | Report this post

RobT  
Last month

Well, wasn't that the worst way to start a new season? Men's game to W Logan 112/65 over North GC. Does not deserve details. Scores much more respectable in women's game. NGC winning that one, 78/66.

2 (2x2) games tomorrow (Sat); Northwest V Bri and Mky v T/ville. Both promising (hoping)to be better!

Thank you mball, I had read that much but hoped there would be full review of all teams. If there was, I still have not found it.

Reply #940357 | Report this post

Damo 75  
Last month

The lack of information is disgraceful. The NBL1 website only has a few players named on team lists - but at least they updated from last year's teams the day before the season started. Very disappointing for supporters and sponsors.

Reply #940367 | Report this post

mball  
Last month

"I had read that much but hoped there would be full review of all teams. If there was, I still have not found it."

There is one around but behind a paywall. BQ should have done an independent one.

Totally agree with Damo. Even the first women's game last night was not on the home page game tracker, found it on the game page. Very unprofessional and disappointing but can only improve.

Reply #940371 | Report this post

RobT  
Last month

Firstly, let me add to the "broadcast" discussion. I LOVE IT! It's easier than Kayo, by far. For me, it's 2 clicks from watching.

I have the NBL1 app on my desktop set on NBL1 North. Open it to Home page (1st click) and choose the game I want from schedule for my 2nd click. and voila, sit back and enjoy. Just scroll for box scores and stats whenever I want. If I find it easy AND enjoyable (remember that I am the one who does not know how to use facebook, for goodness' sake), surely you must be looking for criticisms for the sake of it.

OK. Secondly. What I thought of night 2.

I watched the Wizards v Capitals men's game. Certainly got my money's worth. 2 games for the price of 1. First game went for roughly 20 mins which the Caps won 55/39. After the half, the second game played out where the home team went on an absolute tear to win the night 95/87.

Caught the last q in the Mackay v Townsville game. Seems that I saw most of that game too as the stats showed an even trend throughout this one. Mackay got the start and kept the lead all game.

Reply #940478 | Report this post

The Big Duke  
Last month

What happened in the Capitals game, inexcusable collapse with that roster on paper. Caps could have really used the stable hand of Tueta, Rob do you know how far off he is? (Seeing he is ex USC)
Also Cairns over Darwin last night, obviously a few missing pieces but that was a large upset!

Reply #940514 | Report this post

RobT  
Last month

Agreed re Cairns v Dawin. Darwin have a great roster. As for Izzy. Mabe another week???

Reply #940524 | Report this post

The Big Duke  
Last month

Thanks Rob.

Watched some of the Gold Coast game yesterday, with Magnay still to come in they look very imposing.
I expected the Pirates to push or even beat them on the back to back and they put them away without much of a threat.

Reply #940570 | Report this post

AssistantsPen  
Last month

Capitals dropped off in the 3rd lack of bench rotation hurt them, tough bounce back week.
North Gold Coast not the greatest showing for opening night.
Mackay looked good and with some talent that didn't even put on a uniform
Northside women smashed capitals who looked unfit which is scary what they have been up to in the off season

Does round 1 change any of the predictions?

Reply #940634 | Report this post

The Big Duke  
Last month

My bold prediction is that one of either Logan or Spartan women will miss the playoffs this year.

Reply #940694 | Report this post

RobT  
Last month

Double-header weekend for the Caps. 1st game Brisbane v Mackay who opened the game with a 33/17 quarter, maintained that margin for the next 3/4s. (yuck, from me)

Rocky was better for the Caps, and a better game as it literally went down to the last shot. Sam MacD scored the Cap's last 9 points taking the Caps from 4 points down with 2 mins left to the 2 pt victory, Rocky 91 / Brisbane 93.

Hayden Richardson's half-court, attempted buzzer-beater missed (phew).

The Big Duke, thanks for asking about Izzy, Yeah, played both games and he did well, as did the team. I think a bit more jelling is needed, lots of t/o's, etc.

Reply #940905 | Report this post

RobT  
Last month

Any other news?

Reply #940906 | Report this post

AssistantsPen  
Last month

Been some super close games over the past two rounds, Sam McDaniel vis Rockhampton, LP vs Ipswich and Capitals even the night before required a final shot from Ipswich to end it.

Most teams have now played 4 games - does the ladder change at all for the men or does someone one fo the 1-4 teams have a run in them Spartans, NGC, Caps & Rockhampton.

Is Sunshine & Mackay holding 1-2 for the remainder of the season.

I think Darwin are yet to really get going along with Cairns, I like South West big energy team at home or away, Caps clearly under performing for the roster they have along with Spartans (they play each other this week)

Reply #941089 | Report this post

The Big Duke  
Last month

Fair win by Sunny Coast yesterday missing one of the Robertau brothers. How far off is Magnay for GC??

GC, Ipswich, Spartans and Caps will all rise from their current positions.

Reply #941090 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:06 pm, Sat 4 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754