Isaac
Two weeks ago

Gobert wins fourth Defensive Player of the Year

Amusing timing that the NBA announcement comes the day after Gobert missed a game in which his team put up a superb defensive performance.

His fourth DPOTY ties Big Ben and Mutombo.

Can he win another, or is Wemby going to disrupt that?

Topic #51972 | Report this topic

Ballin Fan  
Two weeks ago

NBA perhaps pandering to their international fan base?

Such a strange decision because he is not even the best defensive player on his team. Ant is clearly the guy who sets the bar for all that they do defensively.

Reply #941335 | Report this post

KET  
Two weeks ago

Why is that pandering if the alternative that perhaps should have won the *individual* award was also French?

Reply #941370 | Report this post

Cram  
Two weeks ago

Barring injury this is going to be the Wemby annual award for the next 10+ years.

Reply #941373 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Two weeks ago

Yeah good point KET.

I just don't think that they got this one right.
But yeah likely this will be Wembys now for a while

Reply #941376 | Report this post

LV  
Two weeks ago

Watching the Timberwolves keep the Nuggets to 80 without Gobert, I was wondering how much he's benefited from elite all-court and perimeter D

Reply #941379 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Two weeks ago

Ant is not the best defender on the Wolves, lol. He's improved heaps and that's thanks to Gobert (and Mike Conley). Can tell the people who dont watch their regular season games. Charlotte choke without the two mentioned is a good example.

He wasn't playing but his blueprint was all over that side. There's no way KAT ever had that on the defensive end pre-Gobert era. Sensational and can't wait to see what the team do next game.

Thoroughly deserved award, probably up there with his '21 award. Biggest difference is not having to carry liabilities like Donovan Mitchell.

Reply #941392 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two weeks ago

Not watching the NBA regular season is the best way to enjoy this era of the NBA, IMHO.

Reply #941407 | Report this post

word14  
Two weeks ago

AngusH obviously depends on if closely follow a particular team, if you do the regular season will obviously be of more interest. But if your more a neutral supporter who just enjoys basketball I tend to agree with you.

Reply #941408 | Report this post

Cram  
Two weeks ago

I have a team that I follow but I watch heaps of NBA regular season games for other teams too. Its the most entertaining league in the world for any sport in my opinion.

Reply #941423 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two weeks ago

Very entertaining league even without watching much regular season, IMO. Always something going on.

Reply #941435 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two weeks ago

I've been a Cavs fan for a long time and I know it makes me sound old, but honestly the pace and lack of urgency in the regular season just kills it for me. Regular season it's a highlight league to me, I check insta/twitter and watch clips, but no interest in watching 2 hours of a game. Post season, different story.

Reply #941441 | Report this post

Cram  
Two weeks ago

I dont think you're alone Angus, and particularly among those that are die hard NBL fans first and foremost. If you love the NBL you can watch every game. You're never gonna do that for NBA so its about picking the right games. I'm not watching Charlotte @ Detroit in December etc. There's plenty of great match ups every week.

Reply #941443 | Report this post

LV  
Two weeks ago

I can't tolerate NBA regular season. Box scores are enough.

But have been loving the playoffs. One of the greatest shows on earth I reckon.

Reply #941452 | Report this post

word14  
Two weeks ago

Which league do people think is easier to get properly invested in- NBA or NBL? Personally as a die hard NBL fan I'm obviously going to say our league, but curious to know what others think

Reply #941454 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two weeks ago

I've always preferred the nbl, partly because it’s a lot better time of the day. I also think as others have said the nba doesn’t get serious until finals. I like solid defensive plays and not runaway dunks or three point shooting competitions. It’s also a reason I follow a lot euro basketball .

Reply #941455 | Report this post

BigD  
Two weeks ago

interesting given that upper half Euroleague teams have a higher 3pt attempt rate and higher offensive ratings than NBA playoff teams.
Hell even the NBL top 6 teams averaged a higher offensive efficiency and 3pt attempt rate than the NBA playoff teams.

Reply #941465 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two weeks ago

The regular season is absolutely putrid.

If you follow other sports there are far better options available to spend your viewing time on than the NBA.

I will concede however that basketball-only people don't have as many choices so I can see why they would be more likely to view it, perhaps not knowing any better.

Reply #941483 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:33 am, Mon 20 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754