Phizzer
Last year

Basketball terminology

I've seen some coaching material recently referring to various positions on the floor as "drifter" and "diagonal".

When did this change? They are the corner and wing surely?

Also, I thought the "dunker" spot was just below the block, behind the backboard line, but is this now right in front of the rim along split line on the charge circle?

How common are these terms coaching juniors these days?

Topic #51424 | Report this topic

Esky 21  
Last year

At the start of every season I go through all I the court terminology I use. Diag/diagonal is a relative concept and will change depending on where the ball is. I guess the drifter is still the corner. As long as you and your players know what you mean then that's all that counts.

I didn't know the dunkers spot had changed . . .

Reply #926622 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Last year

So to you, where is the dunker spot?

Corner and wing are more obvious to me rather than drift and diag.

At least block and elbow still the same.

Same material refers to the point spot as the trailer, which makes sense in transition, but in a half court set, surely that's still the point spot?

Reply #926629 | Report this post

Rely  
Last year

As someone who still plays and coaches at a (very) junior level - to me drift and diag refers to the idea of filling the wing and corner. Let's say you're playing 4 out and someone is driving baseline so a person on the opposite wing should DRIFT to the corner, and the person at the middle should get to the diag (wing)

So to me drift/diag is the idea of filling those positions, where as wing/corner is the name of the positions themselves, if that makes sense.

Reply #926639 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Agreed with Rely.

The dunker I can only assume is the result of people confusing the spot with where the player ends up if they step in after being helped off of. That and at least here, the dunker spot already had a name (short corner).

Reply #926641 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Last year

Thanks Rely, that makes perfect sense to me.

So drift/diag is the action, wing/corner is the location.

I recall when I was coaching juniors in my early 20's and arguing with an older coach (in their 50's) about forcing sideline/baseline. He was adamant that you should always force middle because "that's where the help is".

So I've never wanted to be that guy who argues with updated teachings....

I do like the terms drift and diag btw.

One I heard being taught to beginners which I love is "get to the smile", with reference to the charge circle. Teaching kids to cut and receive at the "smile" for an easy shot.

Anything you use which is new/cool?

Reply #926643 | Report this post

retired  
Last year

When coaching I want my players to force opposition sideline baseline on the sides and not to allow middle penetration.

Once you get them near baseline do not allow them to go baseline but then force them back high to where the help is.

To orevent them going baseline get a foot on or over the baseline which means if they want to go around you they have to go out.

Middle penetration through the elbows will hurt you as it then relies on your big to step up and help and if the offensive team sends someone baseline and corner your bottom defence is outnumbered.

Reply #926687 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:21 am, Fri 10 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754