Riley long
Earlier this year

Vc/classics champs in each age group predictions

After seeing teams in action at the Waltham Dandenong tournament I was curious about everyones thoughts regarding which team will take out vc or which team may have a chance at taking the classic title.

Topic #51786 | Report this topic

DeepWombat  
Earlier this year

I don't know the non-VIC clubs well enough to comment on the classic, and I don't know the girls teams well enough, but my guesses for the boys:

U14s: Casey

U16s: Nunawading

U18s: Knox

Reply #935694 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Earlier this year

Yep, U14 Boys, Casey still team to beat, but they're not unbeatable. Bulleen and Keilor competitive, South Adelaide did well at the EDJBT, not sure about North Adelaide now though

Reply #935695 | Report this post

DeepWombat  
Earlier this year

EDJBT boys A grade grand finals:

https://www.youtube.com/live/GHhFDvYii9Q?si=IeXw81mDq68-RdwU

Reply #935696 | Report this post

+  
Earlier this year

SA powerhouses South Adelaide, Forestville, Norwood and some West Adelaide teams (depends on age bracket)

Reply #935699 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Earlier this year

West aren't a powerhouse. Other 3 stand out clubs. No one else is close to having a chance at Classics from SA this year.

Reply #935720 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Earlier this year

@Bballfan.. U16G I'm hearing over the boarder that Norwood with there guns of Harden, Elliott, Jeckel, and Gribben, or Eastern Mavericks with Daly, Stockley, Hocking and Richards could be a medal chance.
Whilst Nunawading have dropped off they will be strong but Dandenong who are well coached by Harvey will start favourites IMO.

I wouldnt write off the SA teams though.

Reply #935721 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Earlier this year

I think you'll find it was SA powerhouses and West, Bballfan

SA girls, Norwood and Mavericks will have strong showings although only question mark would be lack of height for both teams

Forestville in the U18 girls would be a very good chance chance. West girls if their CoE player suits up given it's pretty much the same team that won in 2022

I've not seen much U14s but assume South are the standout there?

Reply #935724 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Earlier this year

Very good point @sabretooth, from memory, two years ago, West Adelaide and Mavericks cleaned everyone up in the under 18 and played off in the GF.

I assume if West Adelaide can get back Sienna Lehmann they will be really strong again, but it does appear Mavericks have dropped off in the last two years in this age group.

Forestville will be super strong, also, looking at their player chart.

Reply #935725 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Earlier this year

Forestville are the clear standouts here in U18 looking like West are the next best. Lehmann's participation key to West chances

Not sure why Mavericks have dropped off as core of the 2022 remains plus some pickups from other clubs. Probably more likely that Forestville have just improved heaps on the back of the bottom agers

Reply #935726 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Earlier this year

Sorry U16 GF but will be U18 now!

Reply #935727 | Report this post

Jim10  
Earlier this year

@sabreTooth Mavericks U18s has dropped off as over half the team from 2022 has moved to other clubs or aren't playing. They have replaced those players with sub par kids from other clubs.

Reply #935735 | Report this post

XXXX  
Earlier this year

From a Vic Girls perspective.

Melb Tigers u18 girls are stacked, they came 4th in the u16 Classic 2 years ago with Agnew injured, she's now back and playing very well, they have also added Wightman, Dimarco, Schwarz and Anarson. The rest of their squad is really strong too. Maganinni in particular is a top end talent outside their Vic Metro and Country players. They will be very hard to beat in both the Classic and VC.

Dandenong will be hard to beat in the 16's, they came runner-up in last year's Classic with almost all bottom agers and none of their top agers being major contributors. They might be vulnerable against a team with talented bigs as they don't have a true 5.

Kilsyth look really good in u14's from the little I've seen.

Reply #935737 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Earlier this year

@Jim10 yeah i just checked the stat sheets and there's only 3 girls left from that 22 team. I can see 1 went to North but the other girls must not be playing any more. Disappointing for what was a really great team

Reply #935741 | Report this post

Kraken  
Earlier this year

For VIC boys...

U12 Frankston looking exceptionally strong

U16 Nunawading, strong team with size, exceptional finishing in traffic + a young up and coming coach

Reply #935743 | Report this post

Jim10  
Earlier this year

@sabretooth 2 of the starters left to North, a couple of the other players I've heard are state level in other sports. The coaching standard at Mavericks now is poor, the few good coaches they had I see are now coaching at other clubs or not at all

Reply #935745 | Report this post

Riley long  
Earlier this year

what teams do you think have the best chance at beating Melbourne 18.1 girls

Reply #935746 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Earlier this year

Forestville with 7 of the current U18 state team and a full strength West with 2 x Aus players the only hopes from SA i think

Reply #935748 | Report this post

Blues67  
Earlier this year

Agree Melbourne will be right up there, their main rotation looks very good.

If @sabretooth info is correct and Forestville have 7 players in the upcoming SA Metro team then they need to be considered. Their U16 team last year was streets ahead of the field at NJC23.

The reining U18 NJC23 champs, North Bears shouldn't be discounted, they still have Perkins returning.

West would be banking on Lehmann being released by the CoE which is no certainty, especially in a World Cup year. The World Cup is in mid July so she may be only a slim chance of playing NJC.

Don’t they usually have an Aus Camp close to June long weekend prior to a World Cup? If that’s the case the talent could be depleted for NJC, Agnew, Lehmann, Hodges, Perkins, Hall, plus others could all be no shows

Reply #935749 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Earlier this year

That would be a disappointing result from a Classics perspective if so. Would be great to see all that talent together at a tournament for what would be their last year of junior basketball. most of them anyway

Reply #935751 | Report this post

hoopjunkie  
Earlier this year

It'll be interesting to see how the SA Clubs (Norwood, South Adelaide, etc) perform during the Easter Adelaide Classic where some of the top VIC VC teams (and maybe NSW) partake in as well.

Reply #935752 | Report this post

Blues67  
Earlier this year

@Weedy Slug would have better knowledge of the World Cup preparation affecting NJC participation

Reply #935753 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Earlier this year

For some time there have been aus camps on same weekend as the classic. Unfortunately means u18 division doesn't always have the best players attending.

Reply #935754 | Report this post

MICHAEL_MACGYVER  
Earlier this year

Agree with you Phizzer Casey U14s look the goods. There only going to get better from here and having seen them play a few times now yeah wow. Not an unbeatable team but you'd need to be playing well to have a chance at the moment at least.

Reply #936796 | Report this post

SlowMoMitch  
Earlier this year

Casey 14.1 boys were undefeated during the EDJBT. If any team stood a chance it was during that tournament as i was told that Casey was missing 2 of their core players. I was hoping for Keilor to capitilise on that but they fell short, unfortunately.

As good as the boys looked, the coaches seemed credible too. They'll be looking to surpass the Dandenong 14.1 boys of last year, even if Dandy won the triple crown, they didn't win the EDJBT 2023.

My son plays with this age group and I guess every other team are just playing for 2nd place.

Reply #936960 | Report this post

Kraken  
Earlier this year

In the same age group and concur on Casey 14.1s for the boys

Reply #936975 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:01 pm, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754