Big Fudge
Two weeks ago

RIP Corey ‘Homicide’ Williams

Apparently Andrew Gaze posted on Instagram that Corey has sadly passed away however then deleted the post. Perhaps waiting for his family to announce it?

Topic #51982 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Two weeks ago

Very sad if true, may his sole rest.

Reply #941456 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two weeks ago

Soul

Reply #941457 | Report this post

word14  
Two weeks ago

Very much hope this isn't true, but if it is I hope Corey rests very peacefully, and send all condolences to his Family

Reply #941458 | Report this post

MaxM  
Two weeks ago

Few NBL figures posting on their stories

So devastating. His impact on the league can't be quantified. Amazing man who had time for everyone. Make you rest easy Homicide.

Reply #941461 | Report this post

word14  
Two weeks ago

I'm sure he will be honoured very well both now and when the season starts

Reply #941464 | Report this post

Yup  
Two weeks ago

He was great for the league on and off the court, deserves the highest honours the league can give!

Reply #941466 | Report this post

Bullets  
Two weeks ago

Awful news :-(

Reply #941467 | Report this post

curtley  
Two weeks ago

The greatest American advocate for the NBL of all time.

Reply #941469 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two weeks ago

The poor dude and his fam that is so damn sad. He sure was entertaining to listen to as a great bball brain RIP

Reply #941470 | Report this post

Damo 75  
Two weeks ago

46...wow

Cancer sucks.

RIP

Reply #941471 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two weeks ago

Dam... RIP.

Reply #941472 | Report this post

word14  
Two weeks ago

Damo it sure does, #fuckcancer

Reply #941473 | Report this post

MaxM  
Two weeks ago

One of the main reasons I started properly watching the NBL...

Reply #941474 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two weeks ago

Just terrible news.

Reply #941476 | Report this post

Krammis76  
Two weeks ago

I'm so honoured to have been a crocs fan when he was at his prime. What a fierce competitor! Many a time i watched him take on the entire 5 defenders on the other team and he still was able to get in the key and make a layup. Whatever he did he did at 100 percent. Even after he retired. What an absolute legend and a huge loss for Australian basketball.

Reply #941477 | Report this post

Bol  
Two weeks ago

This news is so sad im lost for words.

His charisma and passion for Aussie hoops will be missed by legions of fans :(

Reply #941478 | Report this post

LV  
Two weeks ago

"This ain't no cupcake league"

The NBL has come so far, and Homicide was a key figure in the resurgence, with his outspoken voice always central to NBL games and discussions.

RIP

Reply #941479 | Report this post

RIP Corey. Great character. Hero or villain he always had an impact.

Reply #941480 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two weeks ago

The elimination final at Challenge where he led a win against the Cats, for an underdog Crocs outfit, alongside Rillie who scored ten three pointers comes to mind as one of his top highlights. What a backcourt.

Never forget ten three pointers in a finals game and who the PG distributing was that night.

Homicide thrived off of the Red Army, one of the very few players to do so, in the intimate surrounds of the old stadium.

Reply #941486 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two weeks ago

Also worth mentioning is that Homicide was LK's son's favourite player when the former was merely a sponsor of the Tigers sitting along the baseline.

LK has been quoted as getting into the sport and league more due to his son Justin and Corey's interaction with him.

Reply #941487 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two weeks ago

So young. So fast. Just awful.
What a tremendous impact he had on this league though. Heck of a legacy both on & off the court.

RIP

Reply #941489 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two weeks ago

Rest in peace Corey, your contribution to this league is appreciated and respected.
Such sad news to wake up to.

Reply #941490 | Report this post

Hoopin’ in the burbs  
Two weeks ago

Shattering news.

Reply #941492 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two weeks ago

I remember when I first heard he had cancer it was such a shock. The guy was fit, relatively young, healthy, active, strong. You dont tend to expect someone like Homicide to get cancer. And even more unexpected is to see him wither away over time and eventually die. I thought he was turning a corner there after some of his interviews, saying his doctors were very happy with his results. But clearly something like a secondary infection has set in and caused this horrible outcome. This is one of the ones that mess you up - when a decent, well meaning guy, who maybe we didnt always agree with, succumbs to this kind of fate. To see this, knowing that he wasn't the one we'd expect, and understanding what this implies for our own mortality. It's a lesson. Live well. Live now. You're not guaranteed your 80 years. RIP Homicide. You've left an indellible mark on Australian basketball and your enthusiasm for the NBL made others wake up and see the league in a new light. You deserved to be immortalized with the league.

Reply #941494 | Report this post

Frog39  
Two weeks ago

Shockingly sad. The man had an incredible enthusiasm for life, got people talking, pushed people's buttons and did it all with a big smile on his face and an infectious sense of humour. I will really miss seeing him around the NBL and the way he went about life. I don't believe the NBL would be as successful if he hadn't got involved those 6 or so years ago.
RIP. :(

Reply #941499 | Report this post

Beagle  
Last week

I remember when I first heard he had cancer it was such a shock. The guy was fit, relatively young, healthy, active, strong. You dont tend to expect someone like Homicide to get cancer. And even more unexpected is to see him wither away over time and eventually die. I thought he was turning a corner there after some of his interviews, saying his doctors were very happy with his results. But clearly something like a secondary infection has set in and caused this horrible outcome. This is one of the ones that mess you up - when a decent, well meaning guy, who maybe we didnt always agree with, succumbs to this kind of fate. To see this, knowing that he wasn't the one we'd expect, and understanding what this implies for our own mortality. It's a lesson. Live well. Live now. You're not guaranteed your 80 years. RIP Homicide. You've left an indellible mark on Australian basketball and your enthusiasm for the NBL made others wake up and see the league in a new light. You deserved to be immortalized with the league.

Comment of the year.
I'm a 57yo.
This is a very sobering experience.

"a decent, well meaning guy, who maybe we didn't always agree with, succumbs to this kind of fate"

RIP

Reply #941516 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last week

Kestelman:

"Having Corey as part of the NBL commentary team was by far, one of the best decisions I ever made, and without his passion for the League and enthusiasm for the growth of the game in Australia, we simply wouldn't be where we are today.

“Corey’s positivity was infectious. He had a laugh and smile that could light up any room. He was as big a presence off the court as he was on it, and earned a fearsome reputation on both sides of the game.

“There will never be another Corey “Homicide" Williams, may he rest in peace.”

Reply #941520 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last week

Gotta love that hagiography from LK. People used to ask Corey why he wasn't here in the offseasons helping to promote the NBL and he said because LK refused to pay him during the offseasons so he would have to go back home to the US until the next NBL season started.

It's like the spin about the NBL's new TV deal they're busy hyping it up even though the FTA coverage has now been cut in half. Down from 2 games on 10 Peach to 1 game on Ten. Yeah fantastic.

Anyway this is horrible news condolences to Corey's family he did a great job getting the NBL the exposure he did and should've been worth his weight in gold. His on-air banter with Gaze was always a delight to listen to. RIP.

Reply #941521 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last week

"Gotta love that hagiography from LK. People used to ask Corey why he wasn't here in the offseasons helping to promote the NBL and he said because LK refused to pay him during the offseasons so he would have to go back home to the US until the next NBL season started.

It's like the spin about the NBL's new TV deal they're busy hyping it up even though the FTA coverage has now been cut in half. Down from 2 games on 10 Peach to 1 game on Ten. Yeah fantastic."

I am not sure that there are many opportunities to promote the NBL non-stop during the off season and I felt like in many ways he did anyway, whether or not paid or for free. But I am not sure if you're suggesting that Corey should have been paid a full time salary during the off season? And even if you're not suggesting that I don't see how LK's words on Corey's impact are hyperbole. No doubt Corey would have been paid quite handsomely for his 6 months work.

As for the NBL TV deal being spin, I don't think anyone is saying that the game is more easy to access. But there's no dancing around the fact that a game on a main HD channel is more substantial than two games on Peach, a channel that doesnt have the reach, interest, or even the right resolution to display sport. It's a small, measured step forward, and being a one year deal, it is likely a "lets see how it goes" step before, potentially, a bigger deal next year.

Reply #941524 | Report this post

word14  
Last week

NBL put up a special episode of overtime dedicated to Corey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F1iL2Usx4Q

Reply #941658 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:51 am, Tue 21 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754