ElGusto
Last year

How does an older player crack an NBL1 squad

I've been playing ball for a while now (ever since juniors and seniors) and was wondering how players get into the NBL1 scene. Especially those who did not make the team during juniors or under 21s. I envision myself playing in this league but am finding it difficult to contact clubs as head coach or assistant coach contact details are unavailable.

I'd even be happy being a training player for an NBL1 squad. Just to gain insight and additional experience. Does anyone know if any NBL1 central or south teams offer training player spots?

Topic #51652 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Last year

Try clubs with the least amount of money, others on here might be able to help you with that, if you're any good you’ll be a chance.

Reply #932400 | Report this post

LHY  
Last year

How old are you now??

Reply #932401 | Report this post

ElGusto  
Last year

Reply #932402 | Report this post

ElGusto  
Last year

cheers for the response

Reply #932403 | Report this post

The Big Duke  
Last year

Hit up the Mavs, if they don't give you an opportunity there I would say you're a fair way off the standard. Otherwise there are usually open trainings in summer at most clubs just have to ask around

Reply #932411 | Report this post

furballer  
Last year

My guess is if you were in front of Club's eyes previously and not picked up by now you're probably not to standard.
Not difficult to present yourself at open trainings that some Clubs hold prior to season kick-off if you think you're worthy!

Reply #932413 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

pretty easy to get a try out with a VBL team or whatever its called now

Reply #932414 | Report this post

Esky68  
Last year

Don't know about other states, but SA clubs tend to be very political and cliquey so the whole standard thing may not apply to everyone.

I've seen a few hidden gems in high-level local leagues like SAABL and Ball above all that can easily be a rotational guy on a bad NBL1 team but simply aren't recognized/don't even want to play NBL1.

It's more about who you know in SA, but if you're actually absurdly good then that also helps too

Reply #932415 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Last year

It's far less political than it seems.

There's a points cap in NBL1. Club juniors have a much lower point rating. So you might be a good men's player and you may very well be better than player #9 to #15 on a roster but if they are club juniors with a lower point rating it's irrelevant as you're not competing against them, you're competing against others much further up the rotation.

Reply #932417 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

No points cap in South

Reply #932421 | Report this post

Esky68  
Last year

That seems fair. Although I feel like this point system is setting the ceiling high but the floor very low.

A lot of juniors currently on NBL1 rosters are just not very good/have potential but are nowhere near ready. In terms of quality standpoint, makes it very difficult for clubs to recruit for the best quality team (like NBL1 south).

Reply #932433 | Report this post

Red ‘n’ blue  
Last year

You have asked this question previously.i suggest strongly that you are obviously not upto s5andard

Reply #932516 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:56 pm, Mon 13 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754