chig111
Last year

Ringwood Domestic

I recently found out that the domestic clubs associated with the Ringwood Hawks(spirit magic, heathmont) participate in the same domestic competition as the Nunawading domestic clubs. I found this quite weird and, have the Ringwood domestic clubs always done this? Why? Or did they have their own league with more than 4 different clubs?

Topic #51545 | Report this topic

LC  
Last year

It's been like that for seemingly forever. Known as the Greater Eastern Basketball Conference (GEBC).

Nunawading domestic clubs dominate the competition, with Ringwood's team's making up the numbers. They only have three affiliated junior domestic clubs: Spirit Magic, Heathmont Hornets & Ringwood Celtics.

Reply #929664 | Report this post

Admiral  
Last year

If I live in Ringwood or Heathmont I am probably aiming at playing at Knox or Kilsyth. Not many players are choosing the Hawks over the Raiders or Kilsyth.

Reply #929682 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Many go to Kilsyth or Nunawading actually....especially from Heathmont.

Reply #929686 | Report this post

Wilbur  
Last year

They used to run their own competition; but like many smaller Associations, the quality is lacking. Before Ringwood was a rep club, all their teams played in the Nunawading domestic comp.

Reply #929690 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last year

ringwood domestic haven't existed in a while and it's not really weird when they have 3 clubs and not very strong clubs.
Heathmont would be the strongest club interms of teams but Donvale used to play out of the GEBC / MEBA competition.

Reply #929693 | Report this post

Karma Basketball  
Last year

Personally think it's great that Domestic Clubs can decide for themselves which associations their teams play in.

Having that flexibility allows them to operate in the best interests of their players. Some clubs might be performance focused so they put teams in to associations that have stronger competitions. Other clubs might have more of a social focus so they are happy to stay more local even if the competition is a bit weaker.

Players then have the option of joining domestic teams based on their personal goals.

Some associations used to be quite stringent regarding who could play in their Rep teams (eg. only players playing in that association's sanctioned Domestic competition). But it seems this restriction has been done away with in many places which is probably a good thing. It gives the individual player flexibility knowing their choices won't be limited depending on which domestic team they choose to play for.

Many players wanting to climb the ranks tend to tryout for more than one association these days. So I think it's good that players tied to different associations can compete against each other at domestic club level because it allows them to see the landscape with regards to their personal development in the sport.

Playing for a strong domestic club or in a strong domestic competition makes the transition to higher Representative levels much easier.

Reply #929744 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:48 pm, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754