Ski 76
Last year

Why aren't NBL Twitter/X accounts verified?

The NBL's primary account is verified, but sadly, the team accounts aren't. This substantially limits the visibility and reach of our teams. Moreover, when one searches "NBL" on Google, while the scores appear, the absence of team logos detracts from our professionalism. A heartfelt suggestion to the NBL media team, as I'm aware you frequent this forum: Let's elevate our brand and showcase our teams in the best light.

Topic #51425 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Last year

Verification doesn't mean anything anymore except that you're willing to pay Elon Musk $8 a month to feel special.

Reply #926688 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

For an organisation like NBL $8 a month is worth the slight reputational enhancement or, to consider from the other direction, avoiding the amateurish vibe identified by the OP.

Reply #926689 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

I don't think Twitter would be a major opportunity for them reaching new, younger fans.

Reply #926690 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

IMO it is highly arguable that there is any "reputational enhancement" to be gained by paying money to Elon.
On the other hand he makes sure that the algorithms boost those who pay him so I do agree with the original point that teams should probably be doing it to maximise their reach.

Reply #926692 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

For an organisation like NBL $8 a month is worth the slight reputational enhancement
Knowing that the organisation is directly funding a website primarily used to promote white supremacy is the exact opposite of a reputational enhancement.

The cessation of all exTwitter activity would do far more for their reputation.

Reply #926701 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

I guess it comes down to the NBL's analytics of their reach on twitter. If there hasn't been much reach/growth, but they continue to service it because a % of their fanbase gets their info that way, then is there any point adding verification?

If it is a significant part of their social media reach, then you'd think the added reach being verified is likely to deliver is worth it.

Reply #926704 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Mouse the cost is literally just over $100 a year, that's about 15 minutes of an external analysts time to consider the question you just asked. It's a no brainer to just get verified.

Reply #926709 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

"For an organisation like NBL $8 a month is worth the slight reputational enhancement or, to consider from the other direction, avoiding the amateurish vibe identified by the OP."

The blue tick actually has the opposite effect - it's the best way to make sure anything you post is ridiculed. I could also create @australian_nbl (or an alternative) and pay money to have it verified, so the system is broken.

Reply #926710 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Except you wouldn't use an external analyst to answer that question.

Reply #926713 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

It's a very low risk, low reward decision. Easy.

Unless I don't go on X enough to realise no one's verifying- is that what you're suggesting Angus?

Reply #926717 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

If engagement on twitter is low and they don't see it as a key plank of their social media strategy, they wouldn't put money into it.

Reply #926718 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

"Knowing that the organisation is directly funding a website primarily used to promote white supremacy is the exact opposite of a reputational enhancement"

This is a bizarre take. How is the website used to promote white supremacy? Is it only that they allowed other voices onto the plaform after it has been dominated by Wokeism for the past howeer long? Calling people "white supremacists" and "Nazis" (as you did about Elon Musk in another thread) actually dillutes the very serious meaning of these words. If everyone who doesn't subscribe to some far-left agenda is a Nazi, suddenly you make Nazis not look that bad. You understand that?

"For an organisation like NBL $8 a month is worth the slight reputational enhancement or, to consider from the other direction, avoiding the amateurish vibe identified by the OP."

I am surprised anyone noticed they aren't verified. I think its a huge non-issue. i think the NBL has a good idea where their bread is buttered.

Reply #926719 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

X literally ran an ad for white supremacy last week. Musk is constantly liking and retweeting content from users who openly advocate for the extermination of the Jews. It's not a close call.

Reply #926731 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

No company or brand is expanding their social media presence through Twitter/X anymore. Does the NBL use TikTok? If they want young'uns, that’s the platform to use.

Reply #926735 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Definitely better not to get the blue tick. Many people (like me) use it as an auto block now.

I know the Saints account made a point of saying they won't be paying for it when the change happened. Loved it

Reply #926751 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

I somehow hadn't realised exactly how ideologically opposed to X many people had become

Sad but unsurprising I guess

Reply #926785 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Are you sad that Elon is losing all that money?

Reply #927170 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Much less sad than you are about the NBL's continued success under the guy who rebranded your club

Reply #927173 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

oh topical

Reply #927177 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

When you don't know what you're talking about, just change the subject. Simples.

Reply #927182 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Twitter had to allow Blue subscribers to hide their status because it became an object of mockery. Musk's personal interventions in Twitter policy have included reinstating white supremacists and peddlers of child sexual abuse material. He bends to the every whim of abusive right-wing extremists. He fires people for disagreeing with or correcting him. He's turned Twitter into a safe haven for Nazis, and they're pretty damn pleased with how it's all going:

For context, Torba is the author of "Christian Nationalism: A Biblical Guide For Taking Dominion And Discipling Nations." He also posts things like this:

He's the founder and CEO of Gab, which was a Nazi version of Twitter before Twitter became a Nazi version of Twitter:

Here's an ad that ran on Twitter recently:

An ad, not just a random post that someone made that maybe moderators hadn't seen yet. Twitter ran an ad for Nazism.

Not enough?

Reply #927568 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:32 pm, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754