Moose 12
Last year

Thoughts on Sherbrooke vjbl

Are the Sherbrooke Suns a good junior basketball club that many would recommend? I live around the area and have recently heard of them so now I am interested. How do they compare to bigger franchises such as Knox or Kilsyth or Dandenong, in terms of player development?

Topic #51373 | Report this topic

Anon  
Last year

Not usually great. 1st team is usually made up of kids cut from other programs.
Knox, Kilsyth, Dandenong and even Pakenham would have 2-3 at least ahead of Sherbrookes firsts.
The only time I'd recommend would be U18’s when the opportunity to play YL would potentially arise.

Ultimately it depends on the level of the child but coaches aren’t usually strong

Reply #924771 | Report this post

BigD  
Last year

Shebrooke's juniors is there to bankroll their senior program. It’s very small with their 1s on par with most other clubs 3 or 4s.

Reply #924798 | Report this post

Moose 12  
Last year

Do they have any domestic clubs/league to feed their VJBL program or? Or do they just get people who have been cut by other clubs like Knox and Kilsyth?

Reply #924824 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Sherbrooke is low-level VJBL at best across all age groups. Echo the sentiments of others.

Reply #924841 | Report this post

Euroleague  
Last year

Yeah, compared to the other clubs you mentioned, Sherbrooke's a minnow.

Ultimately, think of Sherbrooke's 1s as the 4s or 5s in Dandenong/Knox/Kilsyth, possibly with a lot lower level of coaching...

Reply #924961 | Report this post

Esky 21  
Last year

Sherbrooke's teams are generally of a lower standard. This season's 16/1 boys played in the same grade as Knox 16/6 and 16/7 teams. Their 14/1 boys made the GF and are playing Knox 14/6. They have some good players but not huge depth. Per other's comments, lots of their players are those cut from Knox. Sherbrooke will take all comers, which is great because it keeps players playing, but it's uncommon for them to get a team above regional level from U12-U16. When the numbers thin out their U18 and U20 teams can play at a good standard.

Reply #924993 | Report this post

Moose 12  
Last year

Thanks for the info everyone but I'm interested now, what is the "regional level" That Esky 12 mentioned? What is the difference between the regional level and othe levels?

Reply #924999 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

VJBL is made up of multiple divisions:

Victorian Championship (top 20 teams)
VJBL 1-4 (Metropolitan)
VJBL5+ (Regional)

Regional is where teams are placed in regionally zoned divisions i.e. Sherbrooke play in East, and generally placed with clubs from the East and South East of Melbourne (i.e. Knox, Kilsyth, Nunawading, Dandenong, Frankston etc)

Reply #925004 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:03 pm, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754