+
Last year

Trials and GF representation in SA

Wondering if anyone was prepared to discuss trial numbers ? Looks like Forestville, South and Norwood have plenty of teams in GFs - wondering if trial numbers are matching on court results in attracting players.

Topic #51359 | Report this topic

+  
Last year

Forestville's new stadium would be a great draw card - all the teams can train together, play a lot more home games together - great for club bonding and canteen for 7-8 courts more $ income.

Reply #924234 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Last year

I understood (meaning I don't know) that Forestville has limited access to the new courts at Wayville given priority will be given (outside of Royal Show times) to high performance programs, Adelaide Lightning, wheelchair basketball, other State related programs, and district competitions (the last subject to officials' availability)

Anyone able to confirm?

Boom times down at South and likely to be a combination of favourable demographics, popularity of basketball and a talented pool of coaches/junior program management ;-)

Reply #924241 | Report this post

+  
Last year

hope Forestville are going to apply for U14 Club Champs with the new stadium

Reply #924244 | Report this post

Reggie  
Last year

Forrestville teams only permitted one hour a week training (per team) at the new facility.

Lots of external numbers at trials at most clubs. North not holding external tryouts for all age groups baffling, considering the exodus that started last year and looks to be continuing

Reply #924245 | Report this post

William 97  
Last year

You'd imagine current arrangements will continue which is actually not in the best interest of basketball development in the region or support of referee/ coach development.

Forestville is behind bsa pecking order of church (sat afternoon), district (although you’d hope you would see more Thursday / Friday night and sat morning games involving forestville teams being played there) bsa miniball and bsa social (all mid week) and high performance.

Meaning forestville will be unable to run Saturday afternoon domestic or mid week trainings.

They should however get additional courts for Sunday morning trainings when no tournaments are being played. You’d imagine most tournaments run will now be hosted out of wayville (country junior / senior, norwood Easter, west mid year, south, woodville xmas)

Reply #924246 | Report this post

+  
Last year

it would be silly to see courts being unused - can see them being very booked - great for the sport and new facility use - a lot easier to manage club teams all training there Sundays. Fully expect some other users will get priorities but the overall benefit will be a big boost and a plus. 73 teams nominated last season - all getting regular home games cause they have 7-8 courts - helps identify everyone with the club. Anyone else with access to 2-3 courts enjoy playing 80% of your season elsewhere. 4+ Court access clubs way better off in that area.

Reply #924247 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

Lots of game cancellations this season and Bsa couldn't cater for number of games/teams, yet clubs already running 9 and 10 teams in an age group seem to be looking for more players. My understanding is bsa has told clubs it wants them to cut back on teams but some clubs seem to be ignoring. Perhaps bsa need to put a levy on clubs who have more than 8 teams in an age group, or that club has to provide minimum number of referees/volunteers.

Bsa probably needs to introduce zones according to where people live, North, South, East, West of the city. Hearing about kids living North of city bypassing Centrals, Norwood, Noth, West to trial at Sturt and Forrestville is wrong. Taking the spot off a kid who lives in that area. Sanfl has run zones in junior footy for years.

Reply #924254 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

@reggie
I would expect roller derby and walking footy to be taking priority at new Wayville courts.

Seems like people that leave clubs are the same ones who whinge and complain about the club but don't volunteer or help out.

Reply #924256 | Report this post

+  
Last year

roller derby was in a different part of Wayville I think. That would not be good on the new courts. Here's a question - What if another club close by asked to train there on a Sunday ? i.e. another large club like Norwood couldn't get courts for Sunday training (and courts are at a premium) - surely they would be entitled to court use (given a "state" centre) - or is it Forestville's only ?

Reply #924261 | Report this post

Blues67  
Last year

I've heard the new state centre has nothing to do with Forestville.
The only bonus for Forestville is they might gain more access to the original 3 courts they occupy.

Reply #924272 | Report this post

+  
Last year

south, forestville and norwood the big 3 then daylight - plenty of premierships to these 3 clubs on the rise

Reply #924681 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:07 am, Sun 12 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754