CC81
Last year

Junior Development in Vic

Team- I'd be interested in any views on the best development pathways for kids outside of the State progams. My daughter is a top age u14 performing well in a VJBL 1 team. She loves her basketball and we're keen for her to progress as much as possible. There are a lot of academies, etc around us in the inner east / south-east of Melbourne. Any thoughts on the best programs to look into would be appreciated.

Topic #51258 | Report this topic

chig111  
Last year

Considering your inthe South East I would recommend Sandringham or Frankston, McKinnon are pretty good also but Sandy and Frankston are overall better.

Reply #920876 | Report this post

CC81  
Last year

Thanks. Definitely aware of the strongest clubs in the area. My question was more around programs outside of the individual rep clubs.

Reply #920880 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

There are plenty of basketball academies at high school now, but my ongoing concern with most of them is the balance between academics and basketball. Some of these academies focus so much on basketball that academics is being left way behind.
The other challenges with some of the school academies is burnout. They are pushing the kids every day, and these same kids then turn up to their rep basketball and domestic basketball each week. these are young growing bodies, and the concern is overwork, burnout, and also injuries - especially stress related ones.
Perhaps another option is finding a great personal trainer/coach to do some individual or small group workouts to supplement rep/domestic training.

Reply #920891 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Last year

Check what their record is like with helping players improve and their achievements.
There are some that have great results, others that have been around a long time without much of note than just numbers of people through their doors.

If they have themselves played at a decent level and even better coached teams where they understand what a player needs to do to play, not add bs skills that look fancy.

Or are they using their players to film everything for social media is a red flag also

Reply #920892 | Report this post

XXXX  
Last year

Some to investigate:

Chase basketball, run by Nigel Purchase out of MSAC mostly i think.
Hoop City, Cheltenham, Luke Kendall and Dillon Stith
Hoop City Carrum Downs, Ryan Broekhoff
Jono Hansford, somewhere in Cheltenham
Trevor Burnette (Team Energy) in Narre Warren
Ball360 in Cranbourne, don't know who coaches there
Hoop Culture in Carrum Downs, don't know who coaches there

Reply #920977 | Report this post

Crabby Crabot  
Last year

Look intro strength and conditioning. I find that this is what the kids lack even more than basketball skill training.

Cam rigby - prime
Mitch - mfp
Axis
Core advantage

Reply #920982 | Report this post

CC81  
Last year

Thanks all. Will check out some of these options.

Reply #921052 | Report this post

Vander18  
Last year

In terms of academies, MSAC based Hoop School provides very good Europeans style, fundamentals based coaching.

Bayside Warriors train around Port Phillip but play at Sandringham and are a different sort of domestic club - emphasis on training and development via experienced, professional coaches.

Reply #921314 | Report this post

hoopjunkie  
Last year

if really serious with basketball, consider enrolling to a school that have basketball academies like Rowville Secondary.

Reply #921992 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:29 pm, Sun 12 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754