orbit
Last year

Taipans welcome Patty mill...

Cairns welcomes Patrick Miller
The CQUniversity Cairns Taipans are set to welcome American import Patrick Miller to the team, with the experienced 6'1" point guard signing a one-year deal in Far North Queensland. The proven playmaker has played in a number of top-tier leagues around the world but will make his NBL debut in the upcoming 2023-24 season.

Miller joins the Taipans after playing with Brose Bamberg (the same team as former Taipan Shannon Scott) in Germany’s premier league, averaging 17.7 points, 3.1 rebounds and 6.2 assists a game.

Before Germany, Miller made his way across the continent playing in France, Turkey, Serbia, Lithuania and Israel, where he won the 2021 FIBA Europe Cup Championship with Ironi Nes-Ziona.

Taipans Head Coach Adam Forde is expecting Miller’s veteran leadership on his young team to be significant, particularly down the stretch.

"Pat is a game changer for us - he’s a closer that lives for the big moments.

“He has played for years in the European circuit and their high-level leagues. He brings a wealth of experience especially in high pressure situations and clutch moments, which we will rely on throughout our season,” he said.

The Chicago native played for the Tigers while attending Tennessee State, leading the Ohio Valley Conference with 5.8 assists per game in the 2012-13 season. As a senior, he ranked fifth in NCAA’s Division I scorers with 23.7 points per game.

He went on to sign his professional contract in Turkey in 2014, but the 2015 NBA G-League Draft saw him return to the States. Miller was acquired by the Oklahoma City Blue before being traded to the Texas Legends on draft night.

Miller joined the Sioux Fall Skyforce for the next G-League season, before returning to Europe where he went on to form most of his professional career, in addition to stints in China and the Dominican Republic.

The 31-year-old now adds Australia to his extensive basketball résumé and will be bringing his partner Morgen and three children to Cairns.

“Pat doesn’t just influence the game on the offensive end with his ability to score and make plays, but he is also an elite defender. I could talk at lengths about his game and how he’ll impact our team, but he’s done so much in his career already it’s no secret,” added Forde.

“I love that he’s bringing his family out too. Cairns is the best environment to bring your young family and I know the community will embrace the Miller’s with open arms.”

2023-24 CQUniversity Cairns Taipans Roster
• Tahjere McCall*
• Bul Kuol
• Sam Waardenburg
• Jonah Antonio
• Lat Mayen
• Sam Mennenga
• AK Gak
• Taran Armstrong
• Bobi Klintman**
• Patrick Miller*
*Import
**Next Star

Media Alert: Today 10:00am & 11:00am

Time: Friday 16 June, 10:00am
Available: Taipans Head Coach Adam Forde

Time: Friday 16 June, 11:00am
Available: Patrick Miller
Zoom Link: https://us05web.zoom.us/j/4056828701?pwd=aHhHRU95MVhpdUVmeHNPL2ttVStiQT09

Meeting ID: 405 682 8701
Passcode: q1yAW7

Topic #51158 | Report this topic

Aussie  
Last year

I owe Weedy Slug an apology.

Looks like Armstrong will definitely come off the bench now. Still hope he plays plenty of minutes

Reply #918685 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Looks good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLS0_l9s7wg

Reply #918687 | Report this post

DreamShake  
Last year

Looks good but seems more or less the same as Shannon Scott? Makes you wonder why he wasn't retained, seemed a good team guy?

Reply #918688 | Report this post

An1234  
Last year

Large upgrade on Shannon Scott

Reply #918689 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Quality signing. Looking forward to seeing what everybody's 2nd favourite team can do this season

Reply #918691 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last year

ORBIT they have a next star already haah

Reply #918692 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last year

also i don't think your suppose to be leaking zooms

Reply #918693 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Played well last season at Bamburg, on the other side of the coin though, it the first time in years that Bamburg haven't played finals.

Reply #918694 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Clickbait.

Reply #918695 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

Better than Scott although a different player. Would presume starting based on credentials.

Will be interesting to see what the taipans third import is like.

Reply #918697 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

I'm not familiar with Patrick Miller, but averaging 18pt/6ast in the German BBL is genuinely elite. The BBL is probably overall a higher quality league than the NBL.

Looks All-NBL 1st/2nd team quality IMO.

Reply #918701 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

He's an upgrade on Scott.

Armstrong and Mennenga might start, but they won’t finish games. Starting is overrated as Barry Brown proved last year.

Reply #918702 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Totally agree with MaxM and EssenX.

Reply #918706 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

Casper Ware with hops. Imports that are good in Pro A and BBL translate well in NBL.

Reply #918714 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Miller-Armstrong
Mcall-Antonio-SG
Kuol-Klintman-Mayen
Import-Mennenga
Waardenburg-Gak

Think we will see an even rotation of Miller, Armstrong and Mcall.
Big minutes also for 3/4 klintman and 4/5 mennenga.

Can see them getting an elite local shooter but who...
Not much time for Antonio as a 2/3 nor Mayen 3/4.

Reply #918715 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Last year

A did not expect a PG of Miller's calibre. I guess the perk of having such young talent (and a NS who doesn’t cost a cent) is that here’s some room in the cap to spend large?

Reply #918716 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Not certain Gak going to get decent minutes, import four will need to also cover the five.

Reply #918717 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

The BBL is probably overall a higher quality league than the NBL.

NBL: "I'm in the top ten MaxM."

Reply #918720 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:24 am, Tue 14 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754