BigD
Last year

Sandringham NBL1 Women’s coach fired

I don't know if I’ve ever seen such an insensitive and poorly worded statement on a coach being fired. Questions need to be asked about who authorised that to be put out into the public domain.
I don’t know the ins and outs of what was happening behind the scenes, but has there ever been something similar to this happen with a coach firing?

See below:

As of this afternoon Jacqui O’Neill has been stood down from her role as the Head Coach of the SBA NBL1 women’s team. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Jacqui for her time and effort over the last few years in helping to shape what we believe is a very competitive NBL1 team for the 2023 season.

Jacqui has coached in our junior Sabres program since 2018 and has been in charge of our NBL1 Women since the COVID interrupted season of 2021. In that time she has been a positive influence on the SBA. We wish her the best for her coaching future.

Women’s Director of Coaching Simon Giovannoni will take over effective immediately as interim coach until a new NBL1 Head Coach is appointed.

Regards
Craig Weir
SBA CEO

Topic #51073 | Report this topic

1DSN4  
Last year

First thing is the CEO's name is on this, so I'd assume it came from him. Being that he is on top of the food chain he authorized this to go out. If a CEO cant authorize a FB post then what is he actually doing.

Regarding its content, I agree it is poorly written at the start and probably lacks any real emotion. The rest is the usual stuff you see in the parting of ways post.

The obvious question here is what happened to cause her to be stood down?

Reply #916678 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

I don't see anything wrong with this? It's a bit blunt, but other than that it seems to hit all the usual points.

Reply #916683 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Last year

When it's blunt and lacking emotion it's SBA saying something without actually saying it. I don't see a problem with anything.

Reply #916684 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

I don't see anything wrong with it either. Non event.

Reply #916685 | Report this post

Juice  
Last year

The issue is why say anything at all? It's unnecessary. NBL1 is not that high profile that anyone would have even known she was gone. Why embarrass the coach if you were truly grateful and they have been there that long?

Reply #916710 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

You cannot be serious.

Reply #916724 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Total non-issue.

Reply #916737 | Report this post

By the sea  
Last year

New Coach just been signed.
Kerryn Mitchell who was an assistant coach with the Southside Flyers this year.
Great appointment.

Reply #916842 | Report this post

Juice  
Last year

Don't be fooled. She was in the background the whole time waiting for the previous coach to mess up since she didn’t get the job at Frankston. Hear us Roar? What a joke. I guess it only applies to women getting overlooked for men not taking jobs from other women. How do you bark for equality then take a job that another female coach never really had the backing of her male bosses. Clear cut sample of cry for equality when you’re not given a job but happy to take a job off another female. We women coaches need to make up our mind! Either we stand together or not!

Reply #916850 | Report this post

Pud  
Last year

Juice that is totally incorrect! The club had issues with the women's coach before she left Frankston.

Reply #916905 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:16 am, Mon 13 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754