Pasadena 72
Last year

NBL1 Central Round 1

Alright back at it again with some tips for this NBL1 Central season and with some recent announcements I'm quite excited for what's ahead. As always, would love for others to put up their own tips and let me know where I've gone wrong!

Centrals vs North

New coaches at both clubs and we know Rojo has the runs on the board now at multiple clubs while Sapwell is a legend of this state. With McCalop following his old coach and some new recruits who certainly look the goods North will look to bounce back after a disappointing season. Centrals return Jenkins and also have a couple of new recruits into their side, plus the growth of Sapwell and Bol as well. They will be a tough team to beat, especially out at Starplex, but North will have too much talent.

North by 10.

South Adelaide vs Eastern

The Mavs should be improved with year with new import Hemphil looking the goods plus a young guard from NSW who has been amongst the best players in the whole comp on Tuesdays. However South have seriously loaded up, with the Starling + DJ pairing something people have wanted to see for a long time. Add to the a mini McVeigh who has set tongues wagging in the off season and South are rightly title favourites at this point, with a very solid championship core returning.

South by 28.

Southern Tigers vs Forestville Eagles

Southern will have a very new group but some recent signings announced on their social media have put them in a position to challenge for finals after a year towards the bottom. Their new coach can't hurt their prospects and while they may not have had much time to gel, on paper they look as good as many of the finals sides from previous years. Forestville lose DJ and Purchase but return Machar, Brine, Doyle and add Rios plus Rathjen... arguably a more balanced side than last year with still enough continuity to be good from the start.

Forestville by 9 but a close game for 3/4.

West vs Woodville

Much has been made of the Bearcats new recruits from the NBL and while they will certainly add a touch of class to this side, this is still a team coming off a disappointing season. Spear also helps in their back court but will they have the size to compete with the better sides? Plenty of questions for Nyberg to answer and we saw last year he doesn't always find the solution. Woodville meanwhile return a similar team as best I can tell, plus an exciting NZ import. While they aren't huge their size with McGee, Jackson and Alex M could be enough to undo the Bearcats. Look for Stepney to make a claim for MVP the way he finished last season.

Woodville by 1 in game of the round.

Sturt vs Norwood

Looks to be at an early time slot on Sunday, not sure how that will effect the sides but Sturt seem to always have a settled group with plenty of juniors and are arguably the best coached in the league by Paul Rigoni. Norwood return McBride but I've seen nothing from Harding so I assume the kid from Hobart replaces him while the big import they announced could be among the best in the league and O'Dell will be better for the year under his belt. With a veteran group Norwood will never be too far off the mark.

Norwood by 4 in a close second for game of the round.

Can't wait to have games back for me to scroll across on a Saturday night!

Topic #50999 | Report this topic

+  
Last year

West seeded no.1 in men and women

top 4 men

west
south
woodville
forestville

women

west
south
forestville
sturt

west may well get a double title this season. way ahead in women - men a bit closer.

Reply #914631 | Report this post

SAhooper  
Last year

Brine is out for eagles, hes moved overseas.

And rumour has it North women have made a huge signing this week so theyll be pretty competitive

Reply #914649 | Report this post

Fun coolers  
Last year

few additions to the write up

DJ out this week, wedding
Mcbride still playing in Europe not back for a while
Harding playing football not basketball
Eagles have Owen Hulland as well
Sturt Import Jordan Forbes here last week, played ressies this week.
North imports look the goods, when ?
Tigers have Green from Flames

Reply #914656 | Report this post

Was15  
Last year

Mark down to play finals
South
West
Woodville

Fighting for last two spots
Centrals
Forestville
Norwood
Sturt

Fighting for wooden spoon
Eastern
North
Southern

Reply #914660 | Report this post

Shams  
Last year

Centrals VS North
Would disagree with Op, North probably losing more talent than what they had last year. Koop lucky to be in league really and coming from the wooden spooners where he didn't exactly dominate is strange unless North are on a major budget and didn't want the expense and risk of getting a new import. Even strange that Rojo got recycled, will see if his behaviour on sideline can improve.
Centrals have a young group, which means inconsistency.
Centrals by 7.

South VS Eastern
Losing Jeremy Smith is a way bigger negative than signing DJ. Dj will have some big scoring nights but will depend if he cares in others.
Eastern will face another longish season unless a local can step up. Always rely too much on imports, just never seem to get some depth behind them. But with other teams maybe slipping, this could be the year they get off the bottom.
South by 18.

Southern VS Forestville
Could be a long night down morphett Vale for Tigers, should get torn up inside. Unless it becomes a track meet then Forestville should cruise through. Southern have signed a couple of good young players in Jimma and Fabian Johnson, just they've never really been relied to carry a heavy scoring burden.
With DJ and now Brine leaving, it opens up minutes for the best front-line in the league still. Hulland steps into the 5 and won't have the burden on him he had at South a couple of years ago, May's at the 4 and Machar with his time in the nbl should shine at the 3. Then having Rio's and Rathjen coming in takes some pressure off Doyle. Overwhelming title favourites.
Eagles by 23, with tigers to probably make it respectable in garbage time.

West VS Woodville
West got a couple big names, but do they complement the rest of the group. Expect MM to pull a Teys and easily score in 20s, Drmic will shoot it every time he catches it and Di Santis should score in big bunches in transition. But do they have a real prescience inside to rebound and do dirty work. When they play Forestville it'll be a true contrast in squads.
Woodville will MAJORLY miss Humpries. Nearly got the forever struggling lions into the play-offs a couple of years ago despite missing a lot of games, I would say it could nearly be said his presence alone made Woodvilles season last year. Will give them the benefit of the doubt for a few rounds, but they'll need someone to take a major step in terms of scoring and leadership. Ben Jaansen a good pick up.
West by 13

Sturt VS Norwood
Should be a good game, new imports probably the x factor. Probably give the edge to Sturt, have right level of experience with Norwood being too old or too young if that makes sense.
Sturt by 5

Final predictions
Forestville
South
West
Sturt
Norwood
Woodville
Centrals
North
Eastern
Southern

Reply #914697 | Report this post

Deputy  
Last year

Daylight then Mavs bottom

Reply #914698 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Who's the big signing for north women?

I said it before but Fejo is too good to be sitting on the end of the bench at the lightning. She should get out of there asap, untapped potential at the higher level. Canberra would be a good fit.

Reply #914700 | Report this post

Was15  
Last year

I think the big signing is Brooke Basham

Reply #914701 | Report this post

Esky68  
Last year

Sturt with a statement game, could be hard to stop this year

Reply #914781 | Report this post

+  
Last year

early days but Sturt (who got through under the radar in pre season predictions both men and women) with very convincing results in both men and women

Reply #914783 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

Brooke Basham constitutes a Big Signing! 3 Different Clubs in 3 Seasons for Brooke = Basketball Mercenary.

Reply #914784 | Report this post

JustWannaHoop  
Last year

Just some thoughts -

I think last weekend showed who's in and out this season already.

Whomever predicted that just because West has the largest budget out there doesn't necessarily mean you win games. You need more than 3 people scoring points - bench points are so important in this Div and can't go unrecognised. Isn't one of their "stars" going to Europe mid season?

Woodville are strong and have a deep bench - but will they go all the way? - well that's to be seen - I don't think it's the players that can't do it - but leadership needs to show it. Top 3

West - Top 5 but some clubs will surprise them to show how weak their bench is. With only 1 big - Hunter - I think it's a bad call from Dean to put all his eggs into 2 baskets. DeSantis was awesome and even though Drmic scored more points his % was less by throwing up more shots.

South - DJ is just one person but South is strong only if the reliable Starling and some starters hit their shots. 3 players in double digits last weekend won't stand the test of time in this fixture.

Eastern is still waiting on an import - won't be here till the 3/4th round - are they not in sync with the season starting and get someone in on time? If Legan fires up then they will be contesting the Bottom 3 but it's just not a one man show.

Southern will be hurting all season and not ready. Having just Green on the roster - whom seems really lazy getting up and down the court won't contest the better teams. Throwing down a couple of dunks and scoring 13 points isn't worthy of an import spot. Freer didn't realise what he got himself into. Bottom 3

Norwood - bottom 3 - With Mr Webber barking at his team mates on the court - belittling them in front of everyone - when he can't even put the ball in the hoop is sad to see.

Centrals lost a player over the weekend to injury and if he doesn't rebound well - then they won't be in the running. Jenkins is a real deal player. I think they'll make the finals - just.

Sturt looked so good on Sunday - adding Tobias to the squad looked like what they just needed. Top 5

Eagles are overrated and I think you might see the cracked in the woodworks by mid season. Listen out for Andy cause you're going to hear some interesting screaming matches coming from their side during time outs. Eagles won't make finals again this season.

North - Middle of the road team - might find too many selfish players on the court trying to out do each other. They'll be fighting to get into the finals.

Reply #914786 | Report this post

Fun coolers  
Last year

Hey just wanna hoop

Eagles to miss finals , you are joking surely

Also mavs have both imports here already

Reply #914793 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Last year

Eagles overrated is just about the most ridiculous thing I've heard for a while!

As mentioned, Eastern already have both imports.

Don’t think Deano put all his eggs in one basket either, was probably expecting that Drmic wouldn’t have been a restricted player when he signed him.

South with only 3 players in double figures won’t stand the test of time, that’s literally what they had last season.

Reply #914810 | Report this post

Interested  
Last year

Spear will be the irrelevant one as he's a lesser version of McCarron. That money should have gone to an Australian big.

Reply #914855 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:29 pm, Mon 13 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754