Shano76
Two years ago

36ers new import

CJ on 5AA suggested signing imminent, players excited by the name and the league will take note. A proven winner who has played lots of leagues.
Any guesses? Hoping signature will be done in next 24 hours.
Might not matter but still intriguing!

Topic #50690 | Report this topic

Daly  
Two years ago

Hopefully a competent point guard willing to pass the ball to King Kai.

Reply #906737 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Either way, it has taken far too long when you consider the position Adelaide are in.

Reply #906738 | Report this post

An1234  
Two years ago

Ian Clark

Reply #906744 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Two years ago

Ian Clarkwho played for the Warriors?

Reply #906745 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

He played for the Sydney Kings last season too.

Reply #906748 | Report this post

zootsims  
Two years ago

Good pick. Dude is legit.

Reply #906751 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Olgun Uluc tweeted it

Nice I guess?

Reply #906784 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

Is he a good fit? I didn't watch much of him last season? Doesn’t seem to fit our pressing weaknesses?

Reply #906785 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Perfect fit. Smart player who spreads the floor, can play both guard spots, defends at a decent level and is a good character who brings experience. If he is signed there are no excuses for Adelaide not to challenge the best teams.

Reply #906792 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

"no excuses for Adelaide"

No excuse maybe, but if things don't magically improve I’d imagine the reason is failing to sign defensive interior making them the worst defensive team in the league, or just about.

And no team that’s close to the worst defensive team in the league will ever win a championship.

Reply #906793 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Good get.

Adds to a talented team, Adelaide just need to now play as a team and the w's should come.

Reply #906794 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"No excuse maybe, but if things don't magically improve"

Things don't magically improve, this isn't a cupcake league. It's a bit much to be talking about them as a championship team though, Adelaide haven't made the playoffs in how long?

Making the top six is a basic pass mark IMO, and getting to the semis would be an excellent result and something to build on, with hopefully the interior defence addressed via off-season recruiting.

Reply #906798 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Definitely could have done & lot worse and looking forward to what he can bring.

But it sounds like Adelaide have been trying to get this over the line for a long time and I get the feeling it's a bit of a:

"He was good for Sydney therefore he will be good for us" mentality.

Just not sure if he is the type of guard they needed to go for to add spark and variety, and if we will just see him struggling in Adelaide's mostly poor system.

I think he suited the situation for Sydney but not confident he is what Adelaide needed, but as always I hope I am wrong.

It is a good get though and they finally got it done!

Reply #906799 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Two years ago

Well there goes any excuse CJ had lined up to save his job.

Should've never got to this, but so be it. See if it’s too late or not for Clark to help make a difference. Adelaide have a knack of never capitalising.

Reply #906800 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

Clark is a very good basketball player, but the most important aspect of his signing is he is a winner, a leader and a great teammate.

Reply #906801 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Very good player, a winner, very good handles and should help heaps. Is it going to be able to cover up lack of defensive ability in sixers 5-4 man spots. This should help but just don't see it making a big enough difference to win a championship.

Reply #906802 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

If they replaced Acouth with someone along the lines of your Bairstow/Salt/Purchase kind of names, then I think Adelaide would be fine. Just that one last little tweak, PLEASE!

Reply #906806 | Report this post

Daly  
Two years ago

Cutting Acouth and bringing in Bairstow or Salt would only increase competition for Kai Sotto's minutes. That is a big NO, NO.

King Kai is entitled to minutes and does not need to earn them.

Reply #906807 | Report this post

Daly  
Two years ago

Ian Clark is an ok signing.

I still think a pass first true point guard would of been more suitable for this squad.

Reply #906808 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

It's professional sport, I would think no one is entitled to minutes. Acouth was certainly a strange signing though, Purchase certainly more up side.

Reply #906811 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

This Ian Clark signing was meant to have happened about a month ago when Liam said he was being 'looked at' to Franks in that interview and both Franks and Cleveland had been giddy talking about his addition at training.

It's not like Clark was playing anywhere else he hasn't played anywhere since last season with the Kings so clearly the Sixers intentionally dragged their heels on signing him and the team has now lost 3 of it's last 4 games, well done.

Reply #906812 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two years ago

Hopefully Clark can bring the shooting and ball-handling we need. If he can unlock better outside shooting from Franks and Dech, that would really help our offence.

Agree that we also need a local defensive big KET, but I think the cupboard is bare! From what I saw of Salt, he was garbage. Might as well just keep Acouth. Purchase is undersized and horrific defensively too. Bairstow would be great, but I doubt he'd reverse his retirement now.

Maybe we could pay Paul Rees to teach some of our existing bigs how to play defence? If Tyrell Harrison wants out of Brisbane, might be worth chasing him next season (depending on how his knee and elbow injuries look)!

Reply #906813 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Acuoth couldn't even get a contract in the NBL season and he already showed at the Kings & SEM he can't play. Bizarre signing and I'm not sure Galloway was a much better one either.

Reply #906814 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Zodiac, spot on!

Reply #906815 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

*last season

Reply #906816 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

"It's not like Clark was playing anywhere else he hasn't played anywhere since last season with the Kings so clearly the Sixers intentionally dragged their heels on signing him and the team has now lost 3 of it's last 4 games, well done."

It's always a conspiracy theory with you. There is many logical reasons why it took this long.

"If they replaced Acouth with someone along the lines of your Bairstow"

KET it's not NBA2k, you can't just grab someone off the street and they are ready to go. Bairstow probably hasn't done any type of fitness in 6 months and would take many more months before he is ready provided he didn't get injured during that time.

Regarding Clark, I am also not sure if he fills the needs of the Sixers but I am happy to be proven wrong. Clark whilst very talent, fitted in very well at Sydney because he had an MVP point guard whilst the Sixers have the big Lebowski bringing the ball up and offering very little else. One thing we know for sure is Clark will be a great culture guy.

Reply #906818 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

SixersFan, I am sure it's not easy to just bring an import in. I am sure there are lots of hurdles that we don't know about or realise, but Adelaide have messed around a bit here. Every other team got their replacement in pretty swiftly and also used the break in the season to their advantage.

Over this period, Adelaide have been talked up both internally and externally (foolishly) that they had time to wait or didn't need a new import at all.

And now, they find themselves at long odds to sneak into the 6 when you consider Perth are improving and I think teams should start to worry about United too.

It reminded me of the exhausting period last season when they ummed and ahhed for about 6 months (exaggeration) and decided to sign no one (which i dare say was the end goal anyway).

So, I think there is an element of incompetence and complacency in this scenario also.

Whether that is related to ownership instructions or what, I don't know.

But if they've been waiting for Clark for this long, I think it was a mistaken approach if the belief was he is the difference maker at this stage.

Reply #906819 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Why do you think I've been banging on about using the import spot for an import big?

But the 36ers don’t even come across like they think they should search for a defensive big

Reply #906820 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

KET, because they know they have to live with how they've constructed their front court.

Reply #906821 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

If Adelaide are to achieve anything with this roster it's on the back of pressure defence and high-speed offence. Without a quality guard who can score they can't achieve that.

Reply #906822 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two years ago

KET an import big man would've been great if we could afford a good one, but they're very hard to find. More than likely we would've got a dud.

I prefer them going down the route of a known quantity in Clark. If he does what it says on the tin, then at least our offence should be watchable for the rest of the season!

CJ needs to get more out of his bigs. We have a lot of bodies there. Get them to play hard, be physical and contest at the rim every game. If you don't play with energy and make opposing teams earn it at the free throw line, you sit at the end of the bench. I don't care if we have guys foul out every game. We actually did that for three games after Randall left, and were looking good, then Drmic got hurt and we went back to being passive, low energy and soft!

Reply #906823 | Report this post

Daly  
Two years ago

Playing hard and physicality are the strengths of Kai Sotto. CJ has the right tools on the roster he just needs to know how to use them.

Reply #906824 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Two years ago

Is Clark playing tonight

Reply #906829 | Report this post

Big Hutch  
Two years ago

Soto, hard and physical lol.
He's 7ft2 and gets pushed around by guards lol. With someone to teach him how to use his size and show a bit of grunt he might develop in time but atm he still plays like a little boy.

Reply #906830 | Report this post

Big Hutch  
Two years ago

Clark's a good pick up but agree that it doesn't help their inside game.
Hope he can make a difference though

Reply #906831 | Report this post

Uncle Dre  
Two years ago

6ers strong list, but putrid culture. Equals high expectations and high disappointment

Reply #906833 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

My reply was for SixersFan btw - I don't think having an import spot available and looking for a big was particularly "grabbing someone off the street ready to go".

Especially when you’re taking 5 weeks to find someone anyway.

I realise last night was against the undermanned Bullets, but what made them absolutely ruin Brisbane last night was through forced turnovers on defence and grabbing the rebound and just going, going, going.

That’s the style they were built for, I think that’s the only style they’ll succeed with. It has a massive positive effect on ball movement and shooting percentage. I think that’s the only style 36ers can be a top 2/3 side and championship contender with.

Most teams would be far better in the interior than Brisbane, that’s why I’m not overly fussed about our PG/guard issues over an import interior defender.

Alas, no change will be made. If Ian Clark turns 36ers into a top 2,3 even 4 side and championship contender/if interior D doesn’t prevent them from being a championship contender then I’ll very, very, very happily eat my words and paint “I was wrong” everywhere.

I watched the game last night trying to tell if 36ers were better without DJ because of the extra pace they played, or if it was just Bullets being so undermanned. 36ers go through dry spells, so it’s probably the latter.

Even though Sotto is young and has all those issues that come along with a young player, maybe he should start and DJ should be the focus scorer with the bench players like Dech, Drmic etc. Would that be so offensive to DJ?

Also I like Marshall and would like to see them find more time for him in some way even when Ian Clark arrives.

Reply #906884 | Report this post

Peter  
Two years ago

Agree about DJ KET. Can't fix legacy issues caused by previous signings in 1 year, but 36ers have made a big step forward and have a solid foundation now which hopefully just needs tweaking.

If they get it right, there is no reason they can't be contending for years.

Last night showed me DJ needs to be replaced with a defensive centre. Our D last night was as good as it's been Still got caught out a few times with no rim protection but much better, which drove the offence.

DJ perfect value to the team now is to be the go to scorer for the 2nd unit, knowing he can also cover foul trouble or injuries in the 1st unit if needed. I think his contract up next year so he needs to drop salary and spend the balance plus Acouth salary on replacement defensive big.

Kai actually played ok last night which was great. I was nervous Baynes would demolish him, but Kai played to his strengths and his IQ seems to be getting better

The other priority is to extend Cleveland's contract now. He is such a complete player, including attitude

Reply #906886 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Offence has always started with defence, goorg used to preach it, Buford now preaches it.

Reply #906889 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

No charge, refs killing game.

Reply #906899 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:46 am, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754