LV
Two years ago

Roth, Vickerman, Homicide and media treatment

Bit of a controversy involving none other than Homicide Williams. Surprise surprise. Replying to something said by Vickerman on radio around mental health, calling Vickerman a hypocrite after Vickerman previously called out Caroline

Vickerman later referenced Roth's comments in this press conference following Tas vs Perth, where Roth suggested media needs to be more respectful of young coaches

https://youtu.be/oT9rwA1VTCQ

Multiply threads at play, we don't need another thread around United. The bigger issue is this- is media treatment of players and coaches appropriate? How should mental health be factored in? How does media "resoectfully" cruticise players and coaches?

I'm personally more from the school of thought where look, media has a job to do. Not every commentator will be a cool, humorous analyst like Gaze. If you're a pro sports person, you need a thick skin, it comes with the Territory. Get off social media if you want to avoid people who are Essentially mean nuffies

Thoughts?

Topic #50596 | Report this topic

LV  
Two years ago

Multiple* threads at play and how does media "respectfully"* criticise

Too early to be posting!

Reply #904148 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Oh and I'm not calling Homicide a mean nuffie, I meant the public

Homicide courts controversy but ultimately he sees that as his job. I don't have a problem with him applying the blowtorch or criticising players and coaches as he sees fit

Reply #904149 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

Why do pro sports people have to have thicker skins than other people? They're already thrust into the spotlight by being able to do things athletically than most others. There's been vile abuse yelled at atletes like people wishing their children would die, along with the usual racist and sexual stuff. Imagine if people came into other workplaces and were just as vile.
And the media and press conferences are really just reporters trying to stir up controversy to sell whatever medium they are on. Vickerman realised his public comments weren't appropriate publicly and changed lane pretty quickly. If a coach has a problem with a player, speak to them privately, not air it in public. With Randall there was obviously a problem, but was kept in house and media release was how they had parted ways mutually, best of luck etc. Even Cleveland's comments were appropriate and I don't think Randall has come out and ripped anyone.
It's easy to say people need to harden up, especially those getting paid in the public arena, but those people aren't immune to things said. Junior sports is a disgrace with the way parents in particular sit there yelling abuse, even at kids on their own team.
Previously it had been taboo, a sign of weakness, to come out and discuss mental health issues, but it has increased greatly in recent years. Depression and mental illness are conditions that need to be looked after. A lot of athletes have been the best amongst peers throughout growing up, then encounter massive criticism for maybe the first time in their life when they turn pro. Some can handle it, some can't. Telling them to change the channel or not look at social media is not the simplistic answer.
Back to original post, the media these days are mainly trying to stir the pot to add to their career. Homicide is ridiculous in how he tries to imitate Stephen A Smith it's cringeworthy, such as how he lowers his tone and tries to make every statement come out as fact. But trolls feed off any feedback, positive or negative and just don't respond to facts. How many times has Sotto come up here. He's a young kid learning the professional game against adults but has such a target on him it's ridiculous. Reporters should just stick to the facts. Criticism should come by the way of "X struggled with his shooting tonight" or the team were beaten on the boards. Player X would know they shot badly, and that overall didn't rebound well. Not player X is the worst shooter to ever play in this league and should be sacked! Or I wish we still had player Y because everyone else on the team sucks.
Sorry to go on for so long, but mental health is such a big thing, not just in sports. Pity the trolls, bullies, media couldn't be managed better but social media has definitely magnified it. Previously you'd normally just get the local paper reporting something and that'd be it, now it just grows and inevitably someone will take their life over words.

Reply #904153 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

Criticisms of coaches & players has always been around, but with social media it has given a platform for the loud and opinionated in the world that 20 years ago they never had. Sport is not immune to this.

I think when you look at sports where there are certain marquee teams in a league, their fans and the media have a bit higher expectation of them. IN the NBA this could be LA Lakers , in Soccer you have Manchester united in the premier league and so on.

In the NBL its the Wildcats and Melbourne as two of the perennial high performers. Both the fans and media have expectations of success, you can see with Wildcats failing the finals last year its at least cost them 2000 regular fans attending games. Winning Performance is an expectation.

Even Illawarra after two years of putting up a competitive team is looking like a wooden spoon and the crowds are suffering accordingly after being used to more.

Sport is entertainment, its a business. As a fan whilst its nice to see a new import or a new coach doing well - winning is the main thing I want to see. If I don't get it, I am not happy, I am not attending games or buying merchandise. Cut the import, coach, Australian player - don't really care just get back to winning. That is a common mindset.

What is unfortunate this year teams are not holding down their home courts so its creating an even worse outcome for the fans. If your club at least won 70% at home and lost most of the away games I think fans would still be fairly happy - the cats were like this for years with a fortress at home but struggling on the road.

How can the NBL fix it so that home games are more favoured to the local team , short of encouraging a bit of ref favouritism there is not much you can do.

Imports fall back to being the main thing most teams can change, for the cats Blanchfield , Norton and Webster have been MIA in most games but they are hard to change. So hyper focus falls on the imports in the media. Sad but thats the business we are in.

Reply #904154 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

I think it's important to differentiate between anonymous trolls on social media hurling abuse, verses paid commentators speaking on legitimate platforms, potentially going too hyperbolic with their criticisms of individual players.

They're different discussions.

Although Mental health concerns do pertain to both.

Reply #904155 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Versus* ... having a rough day clearly

Reply #904156 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

If you can't stand the heat in the kitchen, get out.
If I make mistakes in a job, your boss tells you. Yes you can do it politely.
Highly paid sports people, entertainers get reviews, it’s part there business.

Reply #904157 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

I'm with Dunkman.

If someone isn’t cutting the mustard - player, coach or otherwise - I don’t want to hear commentary beat around the bush. As a consumer, I want to hear direct, fair and constructive criticism. I think this has been done for the most part.

Mental health is real, but people in paid professions that are in the public spotlight need to remain cognisant that the job they do - good or bad - will be scrutinised more openly and frequently than the average joe.

The mental health flag is an easy one to raise in the face or criticism or poor performance, and seems to be gaining frequency. To be brutally honest, many people need a thicker skin or need to put proactive work in to coping strategies to deal with perceived issues instead of taking the easy path of bemoaning their personal predicament.

Reply #904182 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Yes Ben,
Two of Australia's best basketball talents, one male and one female have used mental health as issues, yes you have to be aware of all people mental state but it’s so easy to pull out now days.

Reply #904190 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:15 pm, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754