+
Two years ago

2 imports mandatory for a NBL 1 title ?

I don't know much about NBL 1 players nationalities but from the outside looking in - it appears 2 good quality imports seem to be the benchmark for a title men and women y/n ?

Topic #50470 | Report this topic

McBlurter  
Two years ago

Rockingham may have something to say about that.

Won NBL1 West with 1 import.

Won NBL national with zero.

Reply #900487 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Willetton women made the grand final with zero imports. Did Warwick have a second, or just Fiebich?

Reply #900488 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Dependable local talent is more important, any team can sign two gun imports and still be stuffed.

Rockingham had the fortune of having rock solid locals in Tom Jervis, Marshall Nelson and Greg Hire. Plus their import (Devondrick) was MVP.

Sidenote: winning the West was a larger accomplishment. The National Finals was a laughable farce.

Reply #900491 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Locals that are ex nbl players is very good advantage.

Reply #900492 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Two years ago

"Rockingham had the fortune of having rock solid locals in Tom Jervis, Marshall Nelson and Greg Hire. Plus their import (Devondrick) was MVP."

To be honest, I think this is the more important factor, in relation to the question. Bogut has talked it in regards to the Kings.

While having 3 good import in Cook, Adams and Martin, they are pretty much guns for hire, tend to be a commodity, albeit high priced in terms of cap space, but easily replaceable.

It's the quality of your marquee Australians, which sets you apart. he was referring to Xavier as the most important piece in the puzzle, and thus the hardest to replace.

If anything it demonstrates what teams need, and Rockingham had this in abundance. I pity being next years Flames roster having to live up to this years team.

Reply #900494 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Two years ago

Cook? Or did you mean Clark?

Reply #900495 | Report this post

Camel 90  
Two years ago

Probably better talking about restricted players.

Using Warwick as an example, Burton was restricted this past season but isnt next year.

Having Barr plus Burton, both unrestricted is a huge advantage.

Reply #900498 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Why would Burton have been restricted this season? She didn't play WNBL in 2021/22.

Reply #900499 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

How many imports/restricted players can you have in NBL1

Reply #917304 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Reply #917309 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Thanks Sebastian

Reply #917340 | Report this post

JaneS  
Last year

Has that number changed from last season? I'm pretty sure Keilor’s NBL1 Women suited up 4 imports on the weekend.

Reply #917343 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Impossible JaneS

Reply #917344 | Report this post

JaneS  
Last year

They have 2 Japanese players, an Icelandic national team player & an American. All appear to be foreign born (according to Google).

Reply #917345 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

https://australia.basketball/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/FOREIGN-PLAYER-COACH-POLICY-2019.pdf

Page 11 probably answers the Asian player question

Reply #917346 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

This is interesting. So, if you're Asian, you’re counted as a local? Like NZ born players? So you can have as many Asian born & NZ born players as you like? In NBL & WNBL too? We have a lot of Kiwi’s, you’d think we’d see a lot more Asian born players in these leagues.

Reply #917347 | Report this post

JaneS  
Last year

Ahh yes it does - thank you Sebastian. I must say that I'm not a fan of this rule ... it has the potential to take away too many opportunities from young local players.

Reply #917348 | Report this post

GF22  
Last year

I thought all the NBL1 leagues were governed by a points system with all imports requiring a a FIBA Foreign Players Licence before being registered and counting as 12 point players with a limit of 39 points per team.
NBL starters count as 10 point players so clubs cannot stack for example a team with 2 imports and 2 NBL starters.
Is my understanding correct or do the different NBL1 leagues have different systems?

Reply #917354 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Restricted NBL players is based on a percentage of time on court. From memory it's something like 25% which I think equates to 17 mins or so. That’s my memory anyway.

Reply #917359 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

25% which I think equates to 17 mins or so.
I have no words.

Reply #917360 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

I didn't use a calculator clown. I was just trying to help out from memory. Mark Quinn from BA used to send around a spreadsheet with the playing time for all NBL players so the state leagues knew who was restricted and who wasn't. So either be constructive or fuck off ass clown.

Reply #917376 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Last year

Sebastian - might you have been recalling this NBL1 rule?

"3. Any FIBA Oceania member citizen who has played an average of 20 minutes or more per game in games played in the immediate previous completed WNBL or NBL season as published by Basketball Australia from time to time."

These players are rated 10 points in the NBL 1 points system.

The above is from the NBL1 Central Rules of Operation published in March 2021, from https://websites.mygameday.app/assoc_page.cgi?c=0-3656-0-512275-0&sID=39559

I presume this rule is used by the other NBL1 leagues and hasn't changed since 2021.

Reply #917380 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

I didn't use a calculator clown.
Imagine needing a calculator to work out how long a quarter of a basketball game is.

Reply #917382 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Did you read the part "something like" as my recollection was approx 17 mins. Thanks PeterJohn, at least not everyone is a wanker

Reply #917386 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

You blew second-grade math, dude, just own it.

Reply #917389 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

I have no doubt you blow a lot more things

Reply #917390 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:12 am, Sun 12 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754