Herbert Cadbury
Two years ago

Breakers Sign Import Dererk Pardon

From membership email.

Dererk was our number one target heading into the offseason."
The Sky Sport Breakers have signed an Import Centre for the upcoming NBL23 season whom Head Coach Mody Maor is describing as having 'special physical gifts'.

25-year-old American Dererk Pardon is the tenth player named to the Breakers’ roster and the first of three imports to be added to the team.

He joins a roster stacked with six kiwis, including Tom Abercrombie, Rob Loe, Sam Timmins, Tom Vodanovich, Izayah Le’afa, and Dan Fotu.

The rest of the roster includes Australian Boomers Will McDowell-White and Cam Gliddon, while outstanding French teenager Rayan Rupert was confirmed as the club’s ‘Next Star’ last week.

Maor, who was only named Head Coach last month, has now signed seven players in 30 days, but securing the signature of Pardon is particularly special.

"Dererk was our number one target heading into the offseason," said Maor

Topic #50167 | Report this topic

EssenX  
Two years ago

Not a big name signing, but sometimes these undersized, mobile, athletic bigs do well in the NBL.

Reply #893793 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Yeah looks like an old school low block bully based on the highlights, interested to see how he does in the NBL. Not overly foul prone based on stats which is a plus, but that's never seemed to stop NBL refs blowing 3 first half fouls on import bigs, either.

Reply #893794 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

At 6.8" with a 7.3" wingspan he'll most likely play minutes at PF & C.

Looks like he's strong enough to finish through contact in his highlights and gets after it defensively.

Be interesting to see who the other two imports are, if Moar gets them right this team may be in with a shot.

Reply #893795 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Two years ago

Wouldn't be surprised if Breakers go after Vic Law or Ryan Taylor now, previous teammates at Northwestern together

Reply #893797 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two years ago

Vic Law would certainly make their squad competitive.

WMW / Le'afa
Besson? / Gliddon
Abercrombie / Rupert
Law / Fotu
Pardon / Loe / Timmins

Squad looks much better defensively and is showing some signs of balance compared to the multiple undersized combo guard "creator"s Shamir loved.

Reply #893803 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Left out Vodanovich EssenX.

I guess NZ are waiting to see where Besson lands and if there's a possibility of draft & stash.

Reply #893813 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Sounds like that spells the end of the Finn Delany-era at the Breakers. I know they had already signed all their locals but I was hoping they might forego an import to keep him but Maor saying they intend to sign 3 imports is officially the end.

Reply #893814 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Delaney deserves a decent shot in Europe after the past couple of disaster seasons on the road.
Sad to see him go but I'll be stoked for him if he lands somewhere good and can get back to his best plus he'll hopefully still play for the national team.

Reply #893818 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two years ago

You're right, Mystro: how could I forget Tommy V?

This team looks much tougher. Running Le’afa, Abercrombie and Rupert together will slow down teams. Our defence in recent years, in comparison, has been nonexistent.

I’m glad that Delaney is going. The past season I think did him no favours to his prospects offshore, but he has reached a ceiling. He needs a new challenge and we might see him back in a season or two, a stronger player. He had become inconsistent and at times was trying to do too much resulting in far too many turnovers.

If the Breakers can get a good 2/3 and a good 3/4 as the two remaining imports, this will be the most balanced Breakers team in years. That + players who can play defence + home games mean they should be competitive.

Reply #893831 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Delaney will be a small four in the top euro leagues, I'd say Japan might be the go.

Reply #893839 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Wow at that not being a typo/misspelling.

Reply #893840 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Why is the NBL calling Pardon a 6'10" centre when he's actually a 6'8" power forward?

Reply #893856 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

WMW / Le'afa
Import / Gliddon
Abercrombie / Rupert(ns)
Pardon(I) / Vodanovich / Fotu
Import / Loe / Timmins

This team is worse than last season so far.
Unless they get a high level local big like Fotu, Kay, maker, Reath, Mathiang and an import pg.

Already lost
Wetzell, delany, siva, besson, dieng, galloway, gapare as dp

Reply #893857 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Two years ago

I'm still making my mind about this move.

With a stretch big in Loe, a solid rotation big in Tommy V and a young guy needing minutes in Timmins, I thought we'd be looking for an import 4/5 who could play with all three guys. Then we go after an import 3 (who can cover 4) that would ensure Abercrombie can optimise his playing time for the back end of the season.

Instead, its evident Pardon will be a 5 for the Breakers. Timmins is locked into the deep end of the bench (perhaps even behind Dan Fotu based on roster need). We'll need to get an import 4, which limits Tommy V's playing time, and exposes a lack of wings on the roster (especially at the start of the season, where Next Stars take ample time to get up to speed). His low free throw percentage could mean he may not close games.

Unless Vic Law's walking through that door and Pardon's the college teammate move (which would be sensational), let's see how this roster shakes out. It may mean we're getting an import 3 who slides down to 2.

Reply #893858 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Already lost
Wetzell, delany, siva, besson, dieng, galloway, gapare as dp

and Randle, Bach and Davidson too.

Reply #893860 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Speaking of Development Players what ever happened to the Indian guy the NZB signed from the G-League last year? The NBL crowing about his signing, as if DP's are even worth mentioning, yet I don't think he ever played a game?

Reply #893861 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two years ago

Princepal Singh? I was wondering the same thing games into the season. He just disappeared without a trace.

Reply #893862 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

So too the chinese n.t future prospect, pg terry li

Reply #893865 | Report this post

Rod Grizzard fan  
Two years ago

The breakers are much better than last season. Considering the fact of home games again, and some great NZ talent, this team could make the top 4.
Projected Lineup:
PG: McDowell-White/Le'Afa
SG: Rupert (NS)/Gliddon
SF: Hopson (I)/Abercrombie
PF: Law (I)/Vodanovich/Fotu
C: Pardon (I)/Loe/Timmins

Reply #893868 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

I doubt Rupert will start, and the others ain't locked in yet.

Reply #893869 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two years ago

I agree that it's doubtful Rupert starts.

I also think this team is likely to better than last year, I’m not convinced it’s going to make the top four. There’s a lot of player turnover (again) and the remaining two imports will be critical, as well as how Pardon actually goes (he’s going to be boom or bust).

Reply #893872 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Anything is better than last year.
Yes there has been a lot of player turn over from last season. Imports come and go so no surprises there and Wetzell played himself into a euroleague contract and Delaney has been loyal to the club for many years and deserves a shot overseas. The rest are meh.

This is def more balanced than last season and should be much better defensively.

Rupert looks a lot more ready to contribute than Dieng due to his bigger frame but I doubt he starts until he earns his spot in training and on the court.

Reply #893874 | Report this post

I fail to see how Delany will get a decent payday os. He has not added anything to the skillset he had years ago and despite heavy minutes last year his game actually regressed a lot. Even I could scout.... Shot fake drive right. And that only needs to be defended when he doesn't travel on his shot fake. He passed up so many open looks last season and his confidence looked shot. As his athleticism declines he has little else to compensate with.

Reply #893878 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Cut him some slack, he was living out of a suitcase overseas for pretty much two seasons playing on a team that was getting it's ass kicked twice a week.

Reply #893879 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Exactly. I can't agree that someone has lost their game just because they had a down year in very tough circumstances.

Reply #893882 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

You live in Europe you do a lot travelling and you're not at home in your nz bed. I’m with you, fan since old snake pit days, he’s a chance in one of the lesser leagues, perhaps he’s got a job with old coach Shamir or as I’ve previously said Japan with Henare.

Reply #893889 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two years ago

I tend to agree with funk man and fstos. 2 years ago he was competitive with Creek and Cooks, and he hasn't continued to progress. Part of that was the circumstances (although I don’t agree that the travel in Europe is comparable given the Breakers didn’t have a home base at all) and I also think Shamir’s system didn’t help (same goes for Abercrombie). But regardless of the circumstances, his performance means no one is coveting his signature here or elsewhere. It’s a shame, but he probably needs to go somewhere and rebuild his confidence and game to get a decent payday anywhere.

Does anyone know about the import front? PyroCross somehow knew about Rupert. Is Vic Law on the cards or is that wishful thinking?

Reply #893901 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Looks like NZ are going to look like this from what Maor has said in recent interviews.

WMW / Le'Afa
Import / Gliddon
Abercrombie / Rupert
Import / Vodanovich / Fotu
Pardon / Timmins / Loe

A recent interview said NZ had the choice of Waardenburg or Dan Fotu and went with Fotu due to his toughness and physicality. Something they have sorely missed the past couple of seasons.

Reply #894566 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"You live in Europe you do a lot travelling and you're not at home in your nz bed."

I feel you've spectacularly missed the point here. He will have a home that he lives in and will be away for a night or two at a time. This season, NZ were away from home the entire season.

Many teams in Europe play one game a week. If you're with a club that is in a continental comp then it's two a week. He will be able to live a regular professional basketballer's life.

Reply #894570 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:01 pm, Mon 13 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754