Hermann
Two years ago

Sixers Growth

Sixers have now beaten Perth Melbourne and massive dention in Phoenix run to finals. All this with no IH who potentially has sky as limit. Squad not inputting by CJ.and as most agree imports who nor at the elite end if the sliding scale. So for all doom gloom and dole drums year is finishing with number of positives for resurrection next year...
Signs that sixers best is pretty damm good.. some tension to details abd could been doorstep of four..next year really opportunity beckhams..

Topic #49902 | Report this topic

Puff  
Two years ago

Delusional mate, season is a write off, need to completely retool starting lineup, bench, and hit on quality imports, but it's highly unlikely. Even with IH healthy we wouldn’t be a top 4 team.

Reply #888202 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I think the Sixers have grown, I'm a fan of how CJ getting team on same page.

Reply #888203 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Imo, I'd be getting someone in with some heart. CJ is no motivator.
Get Jacob jakomas.

Reply #888204 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

Get three decent imports and keep most of the Aussie core, I reckon there's plenty to work with.
Be good to see CJ get to have input into imports. And choose ones he trusts to play for more that 13 minutes a game. What a bust Hannahs has been. Withers probably was expected to struggle but Dusty was supposed to be a superstar shooter.

Reply #888208 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Seems to be a smattering of agreement sixers are trending northwards. CJ deserves chance to mould team in his style.. shown and results withy of that.. 3 decent imports be unheard of.. must happen.. reality dictates...backing CJ all the way..every day...

Reply #888210 | Report this post

Kev  
Two years ago

Be good to see CJ get Sobey back in Rads, then work from there

Reply #888213 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

It doesn't even mean three gun imports.
But Cairns nailed it with Oliver, Machado and Newbill- look how far they went. Unfortunately they couldn't keep DJ.
But we need an alpha male, a Cotton/Adams type that will take over when needed, like the Rob Rose/KB and even first year Randle. An outright gun, the third import can be a strong role player. But the Sixers only went for two, and both ended up subpar. Obviously Isaac being hurt is a factor but Bairstow was a positive.
I just want is to be strong again. To know each season we are a top 4 chance.

Reply #888214 | Report this post

Frog39  
Two years ago

In fairness to Hannahs, I don't think the offence is suitable for him at all. He had to work too hard to get shots, it was always one on one instead of catch and shoot (from the games I saw). Whereas his highlights look like it's someone penetrating and kicking, or him coming off a lot of screens. Didn't appear that way to me from what I saw.

You have to choose players which suit your game style. You can't choose a player who thrives in a different set up, then get angry when they don't play the way you want.

Reply #888222 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Two years ago

Just really need an elite import guard to make any noise in the NBL. You have the occasional teams make it without one, but its bloody tough. Even look at the sixers last two GF teams and they had Ervin and Randle.

McCarron is fine in the Gibbo role of those team I feel.

Reply #888223 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

CJ seems to be experimenting with line ups now that we're past any playoff hopes and it looks like he's found something with some line ups. That is a long way from saying the team is anything resembling good, or that many of these guys should stay. But there is a positive for the team for next season in as much as the more he tinkers, the more he'll find.

I still think this team is a ways from being any good though. Their biggest signing is their biggest issue in Mitch McCarron. He's not a point guard. He's not a great shooter. He really is an undersized 3 who facilitates but it's hard to fit that in a team, and he's never going to be better than a good import swingman. He worked for United but things need to be "just so" for them to work in Adelaide. He's one of the highest paid players in the league apparently and may go on to be one of the biggest mistakes as well.

Three good imports is a necessity for this team. I dont want to see us get two budget bums and then have a third up our sleeve, only for it to end like this season. Come into next season ready to go with 3 imports.

I've decided to ignore the rest of this sixers season and will only bother if they start making big off season moves. I can be a longtime fan of a team but also respect my time, and time on this current team is time well spent elsewhere.

Reply #888224 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I'm liking the way Harris goes about it, always thought he had talent. He’s good depth.

Reply #888240 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

I really can't see the point of keeping an import spot open just in case of injury. There were obviously concerns with Humphries and Bairstow, that's why I think they kept spot open. But by the time IH was ruled out, the season was over. Bairstow has been an obvious success but ideally he wouldn't have had to play as much without Humphries, chicken or the egg. Ditch players with injury red flags and attitude problems.
MM was/is valuable in certain situations, just not in Adelaides case. Scoring import PG with Dech starting guarding the best opposite guard. A Mooney type that rebounds the heck out of the ball and doesn't need plays called for him. Then can look at a budget do everything forward as the 3rd spot.
For CJ to be looked at long term he needs to go to management with his wishlist that he feels that can fit in his system.

Reply #888241 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Club must finally back CJ in coming sesson..he needs to get the cattle he wants and construct the team he wants with the style he eants....he need guys who want it bad enough.. rest of season will show who want to be part if sixers going forward...

Reply #888242 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

2 wins in the last 8 games is a dubious definition of growth.

If Adelaide has grown and wants momentum, vs Tasmania & vs Bullets is the time to show it and get it.

" Get three decent imports and keep most of the Aussie core, I reckon there's plenty to work with."

I agree, they also need to do better with their roles and balance. The game vs SEM shows less is more. Putting aside that we had guys knocking down shots at a rate they don't usually, and SEM missed wide open shots, the Adelaide players moved the ball more, made far better movements, played with energy and effort part of that was opportunity I think.

Why isn’t Malou playing much?

To be honest it feels like a lot of average players that don’t really fit particular roles/provide something different that expect time and don’t receive it and that can’t make for a good positive and balanced side.

Harris, Malou, King, Withers, Hannahs fit the bill a bit.

I’d like to see 2/3 of CB, IH, DJ return next year to join Sotto.

I’d like to see 1 out of Harris, Malou, King.

I’d like to see Marshall elevated as he looks decent and importantly wouldn’t expect much time/happy and ready to go when he does get time.

Either overload the guard/wings:

C IH or CB/Sotto
F DJ/Harris
W Import/Marshall
W McCarron/Dech
G Import/Duffelmeier

8 man rotation, with minimal/no minutes for Harris/Marshall.

Dech can play multiple positions - make sure he plays 25+ minutes per game as the 6th man.

Or

Overload the bigs:

C IH or CB/Sotto
F DJ/Import
W Dech/Marshall
W McCarron/King
G Import/Duffelmeier

Or if you’re funnelling big money into a key import:

C IH or CB/Sotto
F DJ/Harris
W Dech/Marshall
W McCarron/King
G Import/Duffelmeier

The main improvements 36ers need to look for are: 1-2 punch Gibson/Ervin or Maher/Farley style; continuity with players and coach that they haven’t had in multiple years; refined rotation and key roles for players

Reply #888271 | Report this post

Uncle Dre  
Two years ago

While current ownership is involved, they have zero chance of success.

Reply #888368 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Think you forget that good things are happening as highlight above and good things are projected all under which happening like now with current o er ship... growth is being witness organically and still room for considerable... 3 home games 3 wins massive foundation for 23 launch.. no reason why not.. sixers scalps are building... no fear.

Reply #888374 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Hoping sixers make a play for sobey.time he got out of brissy.. career was upward prijectory here.. maybe cheap big Aussie options be Hodgson as seems Perth don't utilise the big big big man.. then full bore fir gun imports..

Reply #888489 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:20 am, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754