TB
Years ago

Kevin Lisch Retires

As per NBL site.

Great player and great guy. Happy to have a photo with my wife (he was her favorite player) with his Wildcats jersey despite playing for the Hawks at the time.

Topic #47285 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

A model player for the NBL - played both ends and was a solid character off court.

Reply #807779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did it shock anyone

Reply #807781 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

I didn't hate him for one season when he played for the Hawks.

Reply #807782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He made a few pretty timely shots in the finals series, but with everything that occurred, will be forgotten. Had some serious talent to the very end.

Reply #807783 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

A legend. I guess he got tired of the continual injuries because I think at worst he had a season or two left in him in a reduced role. It's a shame we never got his best in Sydney but that doesn't matter in the end, great career in the NBL and with the Boomers.

Reply #807785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

more money to re sign tate

Reply #807786 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

A gun at both ends of the court. That's pretty rare.
Thanks Kev

Reply #807787 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Great player. Sydney will look very different next season.

Reply #807788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

should the king sign Sunday Dech and save money on imports

Reply #807789 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

A great player who had a great career. It was likely expected a few dominoes would fall after Bogut's departure so will be interesting to see what happens now with Newley & Kickert.

Reply #807792 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

According to the article, he was told by doctors to stop playing. Nothing to do with Bogut or anything else.

Reply #807794 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

A really great career. Shame he couldn't go another couple of years but will be remembered as an elite player and valued teammate.

Reply #807795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great person, great at both ends of the the floor and truly humble, can't ask for more than that. Good luck for him going forward.

Reply #807797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A true gentlemen and great player and it is sad to see him retire but injury was an issue over the last couple of years.

Reply #807798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Violet Crumbles are crumbling again, wonder how Weaver will go without a stacked lineup?

Reply #807799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@TB are you trying to extort him? Photos with your wife and a jersey!

Reply #807800 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Fantastic player, great guy by all reports. He even took a paycut to keep the Sydney Kings team together.

Wish him all the best in his future endeavours.

If Weaver had given Ware's minutes and shots to Lisch, the GF would have a very different result.

Reply #807803 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

I did try and convince him to come back and play for the Cats, he responded by offering to buy us both Hawks jerseys. Great guy.

Reply #807804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney not playing finals next yr

Reply #807814 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

You know this without knowing what the team will look like?

Reply #807818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

still in my top 3 fav wildcats. congrats kev

Reply #807822 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Homocide will probably want a statue of Kevin outside Challenge Stadium.

Reply #807825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha homophobia is so cool and funny in this day and age

Reply #807827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"should the king sign Sunday Dech" NO!

Reply #807828 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Great player, and was still a crowd favourite in Perth.
Genuinely sad to see him go.

Strange contrast with Martin, cruelled by injuries but still fighting to play on.
I gather some of Kevin's must have been degenerative and made worse by continuing to play. Sometimes we forget that these "old players" are only in their thirties and have their whole lives ahead of them.
Best of Luck to him and his family.
I wonder what he would be like as a commentator?

Reply #807830 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yeah Lisch is unfortunately a classic example of just how short a pro-career can be. Came out of college nearing 24. 10/11 years later and its over. Takeaway a few with injury and probably only got 8-9 actual years? It's quite sad.

Wishing him the best for his next step;

Reply #807831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't physically gifted, athletic but made up for it with great attitude, hard work and a great team player.
Don't want to start a list thing but would be high up on best imports list looking back at awards and success.
Don't know future plans but could do a lot worse as an assistant somewhere.

Reply #807840 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MACDUB, very insightful.

'840, I agree. Had he played his entire pro career in AU and got 1-2 more championships, of which neither is a stretch, he'd be in those discussions. I thought the year with the Hawks and Penney, they were a solid shot. In the top tier on the ladder. Had an import spot that could've been burned on upgrading one of the locals.

Reply #807844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2015-16 Hawks defs should have done better - should have been hawks vs wildcats grand final. I always wished Lisch had stayed with Bevo and the Hawks, but his wife's Sydney pull was too strong. #LongLiveKev

Reply #807845 | Report this post

Rain Man  
Years ago

Was a great player. One of my favourites in the league over past many years. Looks liked he was well respected by all players too. Well done.

Reply #807853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree Rain Man.
Agree Rain Man.

Reply #807854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"but his wife's Sydney pull was too strong"

bwahahahahahaha

Rachel's family is from south of Sydney, that's the reason they went to Wollongong in the first place.

Reply #807857 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

An absolute legend that we were very fortunate that he returned to the NBL and I can't think of a better poster child for the NBL (plenty are equal but none are better) but did they use him enough ?

All the best to Kev and he deserved everything he got from championships, MVP, defensive player of the year to Olympic representation.

I reckon if he writes a book it would be a great read.

Reply #807862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know what he's going to do now?

Reply #807864 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Totally waste of a career once he went to Illawarra then Sydney. Shame his girlfriend was from Sydney otherwise he would of won an record amount of championships with the Wildcats.

Reply #807866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In his interview he said he's working for the kings this season, said he had to learn to walk again properly, must been a very tough last few seasons for him with injury.

Reply #807868 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Fantastic player and ambassador of the NBL, sad to see him leave considering how good he was in the finals this past season.

If Damo retired and Cotton became naturalised he would have been the perfect fit to slot into the PG spot at Perth to finish his career.

Reply #807869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he is not a PG

Reply #807871 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

As much a PG as Damo is/was

Reply #807882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has left at the right time.
Playing on as a shadow of your former playing self isn't how you want to see a great of the last decade go out.
As pointed out earlier he is still only mid 30s with children so has the rest of his life ahead of him outside of basketball.

Reply #807886 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

2010 Champion and Grand Final MVP.

Reply #807887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damo is a significantly better point guard. Lisch can't push the ball up the court like Damo. He's serviceable in that area, but not someone you want running the offence.

Reply #807889 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Lisch and Cotton sharing starting PG minutes with Norton backing them up would be just fine. The year calls for different circumstances, would also give Cotton more space and remove the extra defender who usually would sag off Damo.

Reply #807891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neither Martin or Lisch would careless who some people on a forum think is the better point guard, it's irrelevant. Lisch has retired after a truly great career is what counts. Well done to Lisch.

Reply #807892 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Legend of the NBL and top bloke, onya Kev

Totally different player to Martin

Although Lisch's true position was shooting guard, he could capably play point for spurts. He had vastly superior offensive skills to Martin, so if I'm coach then I'd sign Lisch first regardless of which position I was looking for.

Reply #807894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's all fine but to say Lisch is as much of a PG as Damo is idiotic.

Reply #807900 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Lisch was often called upon to play PG when Damo was hurt.

He is not a PG but is decent as a second option.

He is more capable at PG than other SG's in the league.

Reply #807906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes he played PG in one their grand final losses to NZ, and he could not push the ball up the court as effectively as Damo.

Reply #807918 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Don't insult Lisch by trying to compare Martin to him as a player. The guy was a former DPOTY and won a scoring title come on.

Reply #807920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We're comparing very specific facets of their games, not ranking them.

Reply #807923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad thing about Lisches retirement is that we are losing some genuine stars and we dont really have the young talent that is filling the gaps. There is a generation of very solid NBL players towards the last 3rd of their career and there are not many standout Australians to replace them playing here.

With the NBL restricting imports to 2 , it will look to be a much less talented league in the future.

Reply #807928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As he came here as an import straight out of college, a player of his calibre is probably only going to be replaced by someone similar. The Naar's and Dech's are never going to be at his level.

Reply #807931 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

We have decent young talent.

Froling.
Drmic.
Dech.
Norton.
Magnay.

Reply #807935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Although Lisch's true position was shooting guard, he could capably play point for spurts."

He played PG permanently in the France Pro A and Spanish ACB. He could play PG, but his best spot in the NBL was definitely SG. Similar to Cotton in that regard.

Reply #807942 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

With the NBL restricting imports to 2 , it will look to be a much less talented league in the future.
The league survived on two imports for decades, it can survive two imports for one season.

Reply #807948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the majority the 3rd import on most teams were nothing more than role players or benchies.
2 imports is sufficient.

Reply #807989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm actually looking forward to a two import season, hopefully it will give a few younger guys ago.

Reply #807991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've always preferred the two import ruling and hope it continues after this season.

Reply #807992 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

IMO two imports is fine as long as at least one all-star-caliber American playing for the Cats is naturalised.

Reply #807994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two imports seems more than fine based on world events and lets face it the third import generally have been role players at best anyway.

It will hurt a team like cairns though who have struggled to recruit good local talent in recent years.

Reply #807995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone think its ironc the leagues header on twitter is to Stay Home, Stay Safe but NBL coaches and players were at the protests on the weekend!

I guess they must have the vaccine and forget to tell the rest of us

Reply #807996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those protests are a complete breach of social distancing.

Reply #807997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giving the "younger guys" a go does nothing for the quality of the league. Example is Illawarra's younger guys.

Reply #807998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not only do those protests breach social distancing, they'll probably catch 5G and then have to get chipped by Bill Gates!

Reply #808000 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

IIRC there was a time when teams finishing lower on the ladder were allowed an extra import. I wouldn't mind seeing that, where say the teams finishing 7th, 8th, and 9th, were allowed an extra import for 2 seasons.

Reply #808006 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

IIRC there was a time when teams finishing lower on the ladder were allowed an extra import. I wouldn't mind seeing that, where say the teams finishing 7th, 8th, and 9th, were allowed an extra import for 2 seasons.

I don't think that is the answer, rationale :

- Sydney showed having 4 imports doesn't win a Championship.
- Cairns showed its getting the right imports not the number of imports that matter.
- Perth won it 2 seasons ago with 2 imports whilst allowed 3.
- Illawarra would just get another Billy Preston with their extra import.

Reply #808007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5G protestors are awesome! If only they knew that 5G has been on since 2018 on the GC

Reply #808008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams that are in running of 5th to 6th could towards end of season decide tanking for an extra import is a quicker way to ensure playoffs the following season .

Reply #808009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why on earth would the extra import be allowed for 2 seasons after finishing low down? team improves in season 1 with the extra import and wins the title and they're allowed to do it again because why?

Reply #808010 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

" Illawarra would just get another Billy Preston with their extra import."!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there's another one?

Reply #808014 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Pretty sure that only happened once when the Cannons were embarrassingly bad. It was more of a save face measure than equalisation.

Reply #808016 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

- Illawarra would just get another Billy Preston with their extra import.
The year they had Lisch, they were looking at upgrading one of their locals to a former league MVP. Lisch was one of those who decided against it, preferring to back their squad and chemistry to see it through.

Reply #808018 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Cairns showed its getting the right imports not the number of imports that matter.

Obviously, but also probably would not have made it with only 2.
Perth won it 2 seasons ago with 2 imports whilst allowed 3.

Which says what exactly? That PERTH don't need extra help? Thanks for pointing that out.

Reply #808020 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Clever and gutsy player.

Can see him becoming a great coach

Reply #808080 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:40 am, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754