Jack Toft
Years ago

Breakers v United Nov 7

Round sux kicks off across the dutch today when the mighty Breakers take on United.

Last round the Breakers hosted the Pussycats in Invercargill and let them into the game in the 3rd quarter to complete their L W L W L pattern. Does that mean they are due a W this game?

The United boys have a quick turnaround after toppling the mighty Bogieman and his band of merry men in a high scoring game. Ware leading all scorers with 34, but Long winning the boards. All Melbourne starters scored double figures with plenty of game time spread between them and 6th man Ili.

They will certainly need their organic decaf soy lattes tonight. Last time these teams met in Melbourne, United won 104 to 98. Trimble, Long and Goulding all scored over 20, with Ashley, Webster and Hopson top scoring for the visitors. It's a different ball game in Auckland though and with Hopson out and Rice jnr in, will that be enough to squeeze the latte sippers?

The Breakers have been competitive every game this year but have been challenged with injuries to key players. They need someone to lift tonight if they are to get across the line. Maybe bring in Jacinta for a stirring speech at half time. I think United's star is starting to shine.

United by 8

Topic #46286 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

"organic decaf soy lattes"

"latte sippers"

he said it twice!!!!!!!! Classic!!!!!

Reply #772821 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see how United bring Prather back in to the rotation. Things have started to click for United this past week, and potentially it could be a slight backwards step while guys re-discover their roles (again). Maybe it won't have a huge impact tonight as I expect Prather will be off the bench in limited minutes, but something to watch over the next couple of weeks.

Reply #772828 | Report this post

Kaps  
Years ago

With the return of Prather I give the edge to Melbourne, he probably wont get too many minutes but will give them something extra on the defensive end.

Reply #772829 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Prather is/was a very solid defender, but he's another dude that takes shots away from Melo/Goulding/Long. They had teething problems the first time around with Prather, I think if anything the situation could be slightly worse given the overload of offensive talent now. In the long run they will be stronger for it, but with the shaky start they can't really afford too many missteps over the next couple of weeks.

Reply #772837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather is going to take minutes away from McCarron, who has been a high-performing glue guy for United this year. It also remains to be seen how Prather will deal with some of Long's efforts on the defensive end too.

Reply #772838 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Prather should come off the bench and play 15 minutes tonight. No need to rush him.

In coming weeks once he finds his feet, move CG to the bench. Or leave Prather on the bench.

Reply #772844 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

You wouldn't want to bring Prather back too hard. Breakers could throw Rice into the mix hard, but he will need to pickup all the plays etc so he might be able to use him own playbook and interrupt the scouting efforts of United.
I think the game will be won and lost around the boards and with Shaun making his "long" awaited return, expect a big game from him

Reply #772854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers got to many injuries, it's a pity as they would’ve challenged most teams. Melbourne should get this reasonably comfortable. If Glen Rice junior, lives up tp his reputation he might score heavily or put the word on a few United blokes in the tunnel, that might work.

United by 13.

Reply #772855 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

With Loe and Delaney out, NZ is lacking enough big bodies to protect the rim against Long. If Long gets his confidence up, it could be another 30 point night for him and he could be the deciding factor.

Reply #772870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These are the types of games United seem to lose, build some momentum with a couple of really good wins only to be let down with an ordinary loss.

Reply #772875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think United will win, which means the Breakers probably will.

Reply #772881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New bloke Rice looking very good early

Reply #772898 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

Good game so far.

Reply #772903 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Halftime at Vector and NZ up by 2.
Glen Rice Junior hasn't punched anyone yet or produced a bag of guns.

Reply #772904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why doesn't ater majok get on

Reply #772905 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Did United's shorts all shrink in the wash? Long's look like they're getting shorter every game.

Reply #772911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Timeout, Shamir is talking and Glen Rice Jr is out the back waving his head around looking into the crowd.

Clearly another arrogant yank who thinks he's too good for the league

Reply #772912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw Rice Jr looking disinterested too.
Breakers look like a team without any focus.
I don't think they respect Shamir.
Anyone agree?

Reply #772913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Timeout, Shamir is talking and Glen Rice Jr is out the back waving his head around looking into the crowd."

To be fair, he could be looking around for the Breakers Coach and wondering what the f a 'Director of Basketball' is doing talking to the team during the game...

Reply #772914 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Goulding putting on a show. Breakers cooled off a little. Rice looks good but has to sit. Melbourne look unstoppable esp when Barlow starts getting open looks. Webster trying too hard, needs to let the game come to him.

Reply #772915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love when people use the term 'yank', its such a 'get off my lawn, you pesky kids' attitude. Rice Jr has 24 in 17 minutes, sit down.

Reply #772917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rice fouled out, was very good. Why do the breakers never play the third quarter, good game.

Reply #772918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do the Breakers switch off in the third?

Reply #772920 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Great heart shown by NZ to make it interesting in the 4th quarter.
Melbourne looking pretty formidable now they're hitting their stride.
NZ with too many turnovers and couldn’t keep United off the glass and then they went ice cold. 21 point margin too much to overcome in the end but they came close and played some exciting basketball.

Reply #772921 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

"Did United's shorts all shrink in the wash? Long's look like they're getting shorter every game."

Haha! I have noticed Long's shorts in every MU game.

Short shorts for long Long!

Reply #772922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United are already working out hiw they can poach and squeeze Glen Rice Jr onto their roster based on his high scoring stats

Reply #772925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach Shamir.

1)Vodanavich cannot play centre in the nbl. It is ridiculous.

2) Sek Henry is playing very poorly. You need to give court time based on form and not reputation.

3) basketball is more than guns blazing shooting. You need guys who can set screens, and rebound. Glue guys.

4) Ater Majok. Why does he not play?

Reply #772930 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United's reoccuring nightmare

Hamptons dunk in the 2nd quarter was a lot like Oliver's in the last in Cairns

Reply #772932 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I guess that's goodbye for Hopson. If Rice can be composed, Breakers are looking good for playoffs.

Reply #772933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good bye Hopson. Are you nuts?

Reply #772934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SO funny watching a team that has no salary cap play another that is restricted by the salary cap.

Reply #772936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers to far back to make finals also to small in the four spot.

Reply #772937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Breakers aren't far off the mark. They are missing 3 starters, Henry has t shot the ball while Hopsons been out and Ater Majok is way out of his depth. This is a challenging period but if they can get through it without dropping too many games they will be dangerous at the backend of the season.

Reply #772939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After majok out of his depth. He hardly got on the court. U can't blame him. Is it idiot night on here tonite

Reply #772940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's got bricks for hands, inflexible on low catches, and isn’t strong enough. Vodanovich might not be tall but he’s strong. Did you see how often a Majok gave away an offensive board because of bad position and lack of strength?

Reply #772942 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

CG is like a fine wine.

Reply #772943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CG never been as good, it's the hair cut.

Reply #772944 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

To be fair, I'm not convinced Loe would have done any better of a job against Long. Loe has never been renowned for his defence;

I think there are wider defensive issues across all positions;

Reply #772946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok sets screens, blocks and alters shots, rebounds. Just what the team needs. They look better with him out there.

Reply #772947 | Report this post

Jetts Dreads  
Years ago

Its a concern for MU to go from so far in front to a close game. Something they need to work on.

Reply #772948 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

NZ looked really good, once they remembered they were meant to be playing defense

Reply #772950 | Report this post

Kas  
Years ago

Great win by MU - 3 tough games in less than 6 days - and 3 WINS!

Reply #772966 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Like a recurring nightmare. Lose by 3 and Goulding gets a 4 point play with his leg kick whilst shooting a 3. Imports start in the league and don't realize you can't play D. Who wants to watch that when u can watch players flopping or calling for fouls and exciting free throws. Goulding was so hot tonight he didn't spend much time on the floor like normal. Not even the head flick and appeal move.

Reply #772967 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

CG will take another few years before he gets as good as Cotton at that one....

Reply #772969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike, you mean when Rice ran at him, tucked himself and basically hip and shouldered Chris on this shot? lol.. More salt? If the call was anything like the one which Abercrombe was awarded, where two United players collided with EACHOTHER in front of him, and he was given the four point play, then I could see your point.. but no mention of that play in the same game? Fair enough. Salt.

Reply #772970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if it wasnt called a foul, the 3 still went in, so technically the bonus free throw didn't cost them the game with the 3 point margin

Reply #772977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More like Majok sets bad screens, tries to block shots and gives away position for rebounds.

For what it's worth, I had high hopes for Majok. But as the season has gone on it's become clear that he's not as athletic as he used to be and that he has been playing in leagues where he gets away with stuff that he doesn't in the NBL.

Reply #772983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shamir should look at video of majok playing for lebenon versus the tall blacks. Gave the tall blacks a lot of problems. Much better centre than vodanovixh lol.

Sets good wide screens. Hopefully Shamir makes adjustement

Reply #773096 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Not sure the issue that people have with kicking feet out on a long shot. It is one of the most effective ways to get extra power for long-range shots and should be considered a normal shooting action.

Reply #773141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It depends, RJD. That shot was deep and there wasn't anything contrived about Goulding's form. But there are some players that start kicking out right on the 3pt line.

Reply #773145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok against the Tall Blacks was awesome. I think the Breakers probably expected him to bring some of that. But he just hasn't been the same. Prior to the Cairns game he hadn't trained much, maybe he is playing injured?

Reply #773146 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Shamir should look at video of majok playing for lebenon versus the tall blacks. Gave the tall blacks a lot of problems. Much better centre than vodanovixh lol."

Looks to me that he is finding the speed of the NBL a huge challenge. It's all just happening too quickly for him at the moment, even simple things like getting the ball above his head before guards pinch it.

Reply #773149 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

rjd, I can't agree with you.

Firstly, when your legs are outside your cylinder and this causes contact., then the foul should be on you for causing the contact.

Secondly, I was always taught that keeping your legs under you to push you upwards gave you the highest leap; if you're spending any energy pushing your legs out, then that's energy not being used to push you up.

Reply #773155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Looks to me that he is finding the speed of the NBL a huge challenge."

100%.

Reply #773165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has got to get on to find it a challenge.

I don't know what games Paul and Anon are watching, bc we need a centre out there, and vodanavich is not a centre

Reply #773198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've watched every Breakers game since time immemorial.

You’re right, Vodanovic isn’t a centre at this level (who I coached as a junior, by the way). But you should consider that Shamir sees both Majok and Tom in practice and it says a lot that he trusts Tom out there more than Majok.

Reply #773199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes perhaps Shamir has been saying they have hardly had time for a practice since the beginning of the season though. Kind of blows that theory up

Reply #773396 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

SHAMir?

Reply #773398 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:25 am, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754