6’8 A.Toohey 04
7’0 B.Beatty 04
W
-

NT
M
-
W

Men’s team will not compete at WC due to forfeiting u18 asia champs last year.
Girls team will compete at WC after winning last years u18 Asia.

The list doesn’t seem to include anyone currently in NCAA or Injured.

The good - Looks like they are not afraid to select double or triple bottom agers.

The bad - Stingy selections, alot missing, quite a few deserve a camp invite + auto COE selections eventhough poor performers and have been overtaken by non Coe players.

Topic #50942 | Report this topic

sec  
Last year

Add;

Bradtke
Briggs
Condon
Elliott
Furphy
Henshall
Ibukunoluwa
Kovatchev
Rapp
Roxburgh

Reply #912877 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

If all were healthy, atm I'd go with

D.Loughridge 04 vic m
J.Hall 07 nsw m
T.Heal 04 vic m
J.Clark 05 wa m
I.Borlase 04 sa m
T.Brazel 04 sa m
S.Shiels 06 nsw c
D.Ananiev 04 vic c
N.Puoch 04 vic m
J.Petrie 05 qld s
I.Juffermans 05 nsw c
C??

The post depth is a real problem in this age group.

As of right now, would not go with any of
6’1 Knight 04
6’1 Crichton 05
6’1 Betson 05
6’2 Fuller 06
6’2 Hanson 05
6’2 Coburn 05
6’3 Bird 06
6’3 Hassett 04
6’3 Ohara 04
6’3 Griffiths 04
6’4 Clarke 06
6’4 Gordon 04
6’5 Metcalfe 06
6’7 Portlock 06
Etc
Not yet ready...

I’d take a chance on one of
6’2 Crawshaw 04 strong rebounder/athletic, play her at C, not a SForward.
6’2 Jacobs 04 playing ok in ncaa for la Salle as a freshman
6’2 Webb 06 mobile, versatile big
6’4 Jackson 07 best young big prospect atm.

Reply #912878 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

I like that 11. You could use the last spot for Portlock. Won't get much time but the limited minutes she gets, could be disruptive on D. Also for insurance against other girls over 6’5", can use some fouls early to bugger Juffermans and Puoch.

Reply #912884 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Ecc showed she was nowhere near ready.

Reply #912886 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

True however with the 12th spot you will only be playing 5mins a game if they are lucky. Only way to improve is to train against the other bigs and get the experience. Won't be a game changer but will be good for development.

Wasn’t impressed with Crawshaw. Athleticism only get you so far without the skill to finish. Jackson is still needs to mature before she is ready and plays too many possession in D with her hands down.

Reply #912887 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Agree that crawshaw wasn't good at ajcs but solely as a rebounder and defender, she offers something at C. Portlock struggled to compete vs much smaller post players at the ecc.

Given Gordon played at asia u18 and is at the Coe, likely going to be her regardless of form.
I’d probably go with Jackson playing 4-8 mins but she didn’t make the list...

Reply #912889 | Report this post

Red84  
Last year

For selections revealed so far - for the guards, I see a preponderance of guards who strongly prefer to make their own shot off their own dribble, rather than look for passing opportunities or who seek to capitalize on time and space earned by fast ball movement with a simple catch and shoot. This extends to finishing a transition play on their own and not finding others who are available. Looks pretty when it comes off, but can result in too many missed opportunities. Court vision, the capacity to drive N draw and then dish - basically passing ability - appears low.
Two indicators to watch in this regard 1. Low scoring yields per transition play; 2. Lack of connection between guard and post (most evident in the York coached U17 WC team; and I see a lot of familiar names reappearing).

Reply #912890 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

The york u17 side was

Harvey?tbd
Gray*
Twidale*
Bobongie*
Clark*
Shiels*
Bradley - did not make it
Betson?tbd
Hanson*
Petrie*
Juffermans*
Portlock?tbd

*made camp
It looks like ONLY 1 so far did not make this years u19 list

I can only see 4 making the u19 team, maxiumum 6.

Reply #912891 | Report this post

Bluey  
Last year

"Men's team will not compete at WC due to forfeiting u18 asia champs last year.
Girls team will compete at WC after winning last years u18 Asia."

Men’s team will not compete at WC due to forfeiting u18 asia champs last year.
Women's team will compete at WC after winning last years u18 Asia.

fixed it for you

Reply #912899 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Yeah sorry, sometimes they call it girls or womens, boys or men. Depends where you look.
04/05 could be technically men n women, 06/07 athlete boys n girls.

Reply #912903 | Report this post

Bluey  
Last year

thanks Weedy, consistency is good, boys/girls or men/women

Reply #912905 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Potentially best 12 on men's side?

PG? Mcdowell-White, Foxwell, Elliot, Dent
6’1 Savage 05
6’4 Proctor 04
6’5 Hawke 04
6’5 Henshall 04
SF? Pender, Pagotto, Fennell, Kovatchev
6’6 Siulepa 06
6’8 Toohey 04
6’9 O’Donnell 05
6’10 Bradtke 04
6’11 Condon 04
7’2 Zikarsky 06

Reply #912908 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

It'll be interesting to see how Hall goes against older players. A good challenge for her, I think.

Reply #912926 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Too quick for anyone to stay infront

Reply #912927 | Report this post

Red84  
Last year

If i had to pick just one player who was stiff in not getting selected it would be Emma Donnelly of NSW. Emma has played outstandingly in both the AJC's U18s last year and U20s. She is not a fancy player, but does simple things well - like getting open, using her team mates and nailing clutch shots. Below is a link to a recently posted video of Emma's play in the NSW v Vic u20 final where Emma was probably MVP. https://youtu.be/s2lbpzfeVB8

Reply #912932 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

I agree Red, her slow start to the 20's this year probably hurt but her finish was awesome. Great shooter and player. Was 2nd top scorer last year at 18’s which everybody must have forgotten about.

Reply #912939 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I'm not sure who she would replace and the knock on her is her willingness to defend.
I’m guessing that’s why she was not selected.

Lots of players should have been invited but under BA, COE kids fill up spots first no matter what.

Hopefully they have a second camp before WC...

Reply #912940 | Report this post

retired  
Last year

Jackson from NSW would be too soft against the group selected.

She cannot finish off well inside and any bumps would cause her issues.

Juffermans is so much stronger then Jackson and could teach her a thing or two.

Reply #912942 | Report this post

retired  
Last year

Hall,even though a bottom ager will surprise many and is probably one of the better guards in the squad.

Reply #912943 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Last year

Weedy or anyone who has a handle on the age group - if you were picking 12 for the boys world champs how would that look?

Reply #912946 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I posted it already, look up

Reply #912947 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Hall* is a triple bottom ager. (04, 05, 06, 07*)

I think the only other triple bottom ager in recent history that made the final u19 WC squad was. Magbegor* in 2015. (96, 97, 98, 99*)

Reply #912948 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

Don't forget Somfai either, another triple bottom ager.

Regardless for Hall and Somfai whether they are finally selected, it is a significant achievement to be called to camp over girls/ladies upto 3 years older.

Reply #912951 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Last year

Sorry Weedy. That team looks good. Would have been a medal chance.

Reply #912952 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Somfai should be a lock over Petrie or Mead for the u16 team this year and u17 team next year imo but her Defense is not ready for u19 WC level this year, Halls is imo. Another 07 like Dakic has the defensive ability to compete at u19 level but she does not have the scoring/shooting, Hall has got the lot.

Hall is better than Rotunno, Harvey, gray or Twidale (the other options) imo
Somfai better than Clark, Brazel, Shiels, Puoch right now?, I don't think so, not yet.

Reply #912953 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Last year

Weedy I noticed Roxburgh on an NBL roster but I think it's the first camp he’s made. How far off making the Aus team would he be?

Reply #912955 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Close but no cigar

Reply #912956 | Report this post

XXXX  
Last year

While I don't expect her to be picked, I think Somfai has a chance. From what I've seen she's a better outside shooter than any of the other girls her size, so she has a point of difference that may entice them.

If they want to run the offence through someone like Shiels then Hall would be a good option. If they want a true PG I don't think so though, she didn't play that position for her club or NSW.

Don't know why Dakic was mentioned, she's out for the year with an ACL. She isn't up to that level yet anyway, possibly next time around as she is a talent.

Reply #913028 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I said dakic wasn't ready but she had the defense to compete at u19 level even as a 07 but not the offense. Hall has both and as a triple bottom should be selected, somfai is the opposite, has the offense but the defense for u19 level.

Reply #913031 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Not the'

Reply #913032 | Report this post

XXXX  
Last year

Dakic is injured so can't compete on any level at the moment. In any case, while she is a very good player, particularly in transition, you are massively overrating her defence. She's a good defender, sure, but she struggled to contain some of the better guards in VJBL last year. None of them are at the standard of the guards she would have to face at international u19 level.

Conversely, Somfai showed at u18 level in the Classic, that she can compete with the best 05 players, particularly offensively but I didn't see her get badly exposed at the other end either. I'd be interested to see Hall play up, I don't doubt she would do pretty well, but she's competing with some very good players and she has holes in her game the same as every kid her age.

Reply #913043 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Some of the better guards in the vjbl..., those same guards that didn't make the Victorian team and have not made the recent u18 team also. Dakic is an elite defender, top 3 in the nation in the 06/07 age group. Ask anyone apart of npp, The rest of her game needs a ton of work and that’s why she won’t be on the u19 team.

Like I said I’m with you somfai offensively is up there with 05 level players but her D is bad, very bad, if you can counter that with a better decisive wing she might make it but their isn’t one.

Hall is superior to any guard her age and is likely ahead of any 3 years younger.
Heal who is wcc player of the year likely is not even at halls level, Loughridge a wnbl contracted player would struggle to contain her. The only + on those older players is IQ through big game experience.

Reply #913044 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

I think Hall can play point guard fine for the U19s. She has the skills and athleticism and I think her game is very adaptable for whatever role you need her to play. I'd love to see her play besides Borlase in the backcourt.

Reply #913048 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

S5 could be

Hall
Clark
Borlase
Puoch
Juffermans

Reply #913049 | Report this post

XXXX  
Last year

You misunderstand what I was saying, better as in amongst the better guards in the age group, not claiming they are better than her. Obviously, she would have contained the weaker guards, she's a good player. The fact is she was scored on heavily by some of the guards her age and younger in VJBL and those kids aren't as good as the ones she would have to defend at u19 level. I think she would struggle at that level in Vic, let alone at national or international level. Arguments from authority are weak arguments, I couldn't care less what NPP coaches have to say about what goes on at their training, I've seen her play quite a few times and she's a good defender for her age but no more than that.

I also don't think Somfai is as bad defensively as you say, although I'm going off 2 games I saw her play in the Classic last year. As good as Hall is for her age, she would struggle mightily against Heal, too strong, and a fit Loughridge, not a lot slower but a lot more experiences and better shooter.

Reply #913050 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

The classic is not the ecc, the ecc is not the nationals, the nationals are not international fiba tournaments.

are you talking about Deas, that's the only other vic guard in the Aussie system that’s a chance, apart from Loughridge who’s on her way back now.

Hall is way too quick for heal, not even her ncaa exp as a freshman would slow her down.

Reply #913051 | Report this post

XXXX  
Last year

Somfai was playing 05 kids in the Classic last year, that was a far higher standard that u16 AJC's and she was very good. The standard doesn't just rise evenly from Classic to ECC to AJC's anyway, The West Adelaide team that won the u16's last year had the 2 best SA Country player s and the best SA metro player, it was a stronger side than the SA Metro team that came runner up in AJC's. ECC is a development tournament and there isn't a lot of preparation, I don't think it can tell you very much at all.

I wasn't making any comment on the other Vic guards, except in relation to your comments about Dakic's defensive prowess. There are no Vic 07 girls who are or should be a chance of making this team. I would think Deas and Webb are both a chance, but they are 06. Heal and Loughridge (if fit) will probably be chosen, I think Burrows should at least get a camp invite.

Reply #913053 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Which burrows

Reply #913054 | Report this post

XXXX  
Last year

The PG

Reply #913055 | Report this post

Juice  
Last year

Paige Burrows

Reply #913060 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Avg 6/3/3 at u20s, I dont think she's a chance despite playing some wnbl minutes.
Herbert’s a better selector than butler or Goriss.

Reply #913062 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Possibly the worst draw we have ever seen.

Womens u19 WC
Australia drawn with the top 2 euro powerhouses, Spain and France.

Group A
Argentina
Spain
Australia
France

Group B
Mali
Germany
Chinese Taipei
USA

Group C
Japan
Lithuania
Brazil
Italy

Group D
Egypt
Canada
China
Czech Republic

Reply #915009 | Report this post

Yep  
Last year

Does anyone know where they are up to with under 19 team? Has the team been decided?

Reply #917170 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Women's team undecided, tbd.

Reply #917172 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:02 pm, Fri 10 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754