Nigel
Last year

Breakers v Perth

Why on earth would the breakers let tai Webster play against them on Wednesday night.
The breakers have the rights to Tai so they could have released him after Wednesday.
My guess the breakers were given a shit lot of moneys.
CRAZY

Topic #50746 | Report this topic

An1234  
Last year

Or the breakers already know what the wildcats will learn in the coming weeks?

Reply #908092 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Maybe the Breakers have got a clever billboard idea and don't want to waste the opportunity

Reply #908093 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

$$$ - Perth would've paid a decent buyout fee in return

Reply #908094 | Report this post

Nigel  
Last year

Luuuc
Any ideas

Reply #908095 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I doubt it would've been much of a buyout fee if anything, aside from the ethical restraint of trade aspects NBL teams are all in this together and it's best for all concerned to let these things go through for the benefit of the comp. It's a stronger league with Tai in it than not and it's not like the Breakers wanted him back.

Reply #908096 | Report this post

Nigel  
Last year

I agree BUT release him on Thursday NOT. Wednesday

Reply #908097 | Report this post

Nigel  
Last year

Remember also he left the Breakers because of his anti vaccination stand not because of anything else

Reply #908098 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

It's a Breakers home game yeah? They want to get people to attend the game what better than a star Kiwi player playing for the opposition.

Reply #908099 | Report this post

Aussie  
Last year

Anyone know if Travers is fit to play tomorrow?

Reply #908100 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

Tai signed a 2 year deal with the Breakers then they released Corey.

After that Tai told the Breakers he wasn't getting vaccinated so they released him but held his nbl rights.

He then got vaccinated and signed a larger deal in the Euroleague. Effectively he lied about the vaccine to get released so he could sign a larger deal.

Reply #908102 | Report this post

Jatz  
Last year

Clever Webster to get a better deal for himself but I don't agree with it. Who cares what I think right? Dumb on Breakers allowing him to play. They could have held it back or simply said you can’t play against us. Puts an extra bit of spice into the game though

Reply #908103 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

Tai suggesting he's not playing anyway:
https://thewest.com.au/sport/perth-wildcats/new-perth-wildcats-recruit-tai-webster-reveals-the-lengthy-discussions-which-got-him-back-to-the-nbl-c-9338618

Reply #908109 | Report this post

Watto  
Last year

It doesn't make sense for NBL teams to hold out on buyouts cos you never know when the situation might be reversed in the future. When Corey Webster returned to the Breakers, the Wildcats still had his NBL rights from 2016/17 and the Breakers had to buy him out.

Reply #908111 | Report this post

Reader  
Last year

In his introductory press conference, Tai says he doesn't expect to play much tomorrow night, given he's just met his teammates and is learning where he fits in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGCpR-zSDS4

Reply #908126 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

Matt Walsh is AWOL and Breakers are allegedly struggling financially. A buyout would provide some cash.

Tai won't have an impact on this match up regardless of how much he plays or not. The real question is whether WMW is still out?

Reply #908130 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

We've been so spoilt for action the last few weeks that I turned on Kayo last night thinking this game was on. Disappointed. Have to say that it's been awesome over the holiday period almost having a game every single evening.

Reply #908139 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I've been getting confused by the gaps as well as I thought the whole point during this time of year was to hold games daily.

Reply #908141 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Unless it's a blowout either way I don’t see Tai playing tonight. I think the kings game we’ll see him slowly play 15 minutes and start to eventually get 25 to 28 a minutes by the playoffs

Reply #908143 | Report this post

Reader  
Last year

"Matt Walsh is AWOL and Breakers are allegedly struggling financially. A buyout would provide some cash."

Where has Walsh gone?

Reply #908147 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Yes I've enjoyed the games continuously, been fantastic. Wnbl should have put one on last night, while I don’t mind wnbl I don’t watch it if nbl is on at same time.

Reply #908150 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

So who we got winning this one. Game being played in Taranaki which is possible one of the smaller seating capacity of comp. Fans are bit rabid though v but not as intimidating as other venues.
Breakers fielding a full squad, one of the few times this year and I imagine smarting from last encounter. With Wildcats perceived weakness inside, feeling Breakers will be to tough for breakers to over come. If refs let them play breakers in double digits.

Reply #908153 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

For wildcats to over come

Reply #908154 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Breakers should get this, otherwise there very good start to the season will be wasted. Thomas,Cotton, Webster, Travers been great but can't see it being enough.
NZ by eight.

Reply #908155 | Report this post

Breakers don't have a full squad. WMW is still out. Hard one to pick but I feel the Breakers might just sneak home.

Reply #908156 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

WMW massive loss to breakers, evens up the contest, certainly a lot closer than my original tip. One point either way.

Reply #908157 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Yes I've enjoyed the games continuously, been fantastic. Wnbl should have put one on last night, while I don't mind wnbl I don’t watch it if nbl is on at same time.

Why is the WNBL an early tipoff tonight with the NBL on at the same time due to being a NZ game? There's not much thought put into this scheduling considering they share the same broadcaster on Wednesdays.

Reply #908158 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Okay, I didn't realise tonight is a NBL double header. It makes sense now.

Reply #908159 | Report this post

Jatz  
Last year

@Perthworld.
WNBL could have played last night when no NBL games on. Truly dumb scheduling again

Reply #908160 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

How is that a foul on Norton, allow some sort D.

Reply #908161 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

I think the wnbl early tipoff is to make it "family friendly" but I'm not going in during peak hour on a weeknight.

Reply #908162 | Report this post

Graham  
Last year

Lol the Breakers coach has a point but he's pretty annoying

Will be tossed this quarter

Reply #908163 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

He has a point though. Just give some consistency refs.

Leafa is no point guard, he just doesn't see passes like WMW.

Reply #908165 | Report this post

Jatz  
Last year

35-26 Cats. If they keep playing like this it could get ugly

Reply #908166 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Agree WMW out changes my thoughts. Will be close but wildcats looking the goods at moment.

Reply #908167 | Report this post

Graham  
Last year

If Travers ever makes the NBA, I'll eat my hat

Reply #908168 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Rupert and Webster playing beautifully for their respective sides.

Reply #908169 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

This venue is a joke! Manek slipping like that is unacceptable

Reply #908170 | Report this post

Graham  
Last year

Manek?

More like Mandown amitrite

Reply #908171 | Report this post

Jatz  
Last year

What a farce. Wipe the floors again & again & agsin

Reply #908172 | Report this post

Graham  
Last year

Jesus wriste

That decal needs to go

Reply #908173 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Very good game, just think Perth bench not as good as NZ.

Reply #908175 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Really enjoy the NZ commentary, it's commentary not a talk athon.

Reply #908176 | Report this post

Graham  
Last year

Casey Frank has to be the least biased commentator in the biz

Reply #908177 | Report this post

Jatz  
Last year

Real high tech isn't it. Kids on the ground wiping up sweat with towels. Seriously that’s the best we can do

Reply #908178 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

How is that not a charge???

Reply #908179 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Brown jr with a massive flop, what is Manek meant to do? Jumps straight up.

Reply #908180 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Really obvious illegal screen, brown had already gone before the screen was set, how does Frank not know this??

Reply #908181 | Report this post

Jack Knife  
Last year

Norton...total liability

Reply #908182 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

What will Tai do, less Norton and Blanchfield might just be amazing with their current form

Reply #908183 | Report this post

Graham  
Last year

Carn Cats you bums

Reply #908184 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Rupert is holding Travers shirt, same crap Webster did but instead of not an offensive foul it's a defensive foul and 1... ref's losing this game completely. Dead set swinging the game

Reply #908185 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Kicks it to himself then slides... violation then travel.... but hey they are tough calls... in fairness the turnover was absolute dog shit by perth

Reply #908186 | Report this post

Jack Knife  
Last year

I can't believe Rilke has brought Norton back on...hope he proves me wrong

Reply #908187 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Another dog shit call, same as Thomas only this time a charge not a block...

Reply #908188 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Leafa horizontal on notlrtons back, no over th back call... again simple call that would be fts

Reply #908189 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Just refusalbto call fouls on nz, blatant reach in, cotton should be at the line

Reply #908190 | Report this post

WC95  
Last year

I know they represent all of NZ, but if they can't provide an NBL quality venue then they shouldn't play there. I'm not really a fan of teams taking so many of their home games to regional venues. If their regional supporters want to see the Breakers - then they should travel to Auckland and watch them. Controversial, but this isn't a bush league anymore.

Reply #908191 | Report this post

SmallieBiggs  
Last year

Entertaining game. Just waiting for Jacket to try and shoot it down in some obscure way.

Reply #908192 | Report this post

Jatz  
Last year

@WC95. 100% correct. The venue is a joke. What's the crowd, 2000? Get to a decent venue to play professional sport

Reply #908193 | Report this post

Jack Knife  
Last year

So Norton can't get the ball in....and there is the game

Reply #908194 | Report this post

Jack Knife  
Last year

Bit late subbing him out now

Reply #908195 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Spread the game to the people, not certain why wouldn't.

Reply #908197 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Was that game played in a high school gymnasium? It looked like it.

Reply #908198 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Norton and to a lesser extent wagstaff are just horrific atm. Exciting close game tho no complaints as a fan

Reply #908199 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Absolute cracking game
NZ just slightly better
Rillie doing fine with his playing list, yes travers probably should play more but been very inconsistent.
Cotton still mvp
Webster been fantastic since settling into the system.
NZ very solid, certainly deep bench.
Maor very good coach
Did I say how enjoyable that was.

Reply #908200 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

It was only close because NZ were undermanned.

There has to be a massive clearout of personnel next season for Perth.

Reply #908201 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

Travers, Blanchfield, Wagstaff, Majok all 0 points.
Harris 0 minutes which is lunacy.

Reply #908204 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

@PW, who you cutting and any ideas on who you bring in ? Let's assume that Cotton is an Australian.

Reply #908206 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

When's Bowen graduating

Reply #908208 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

Fun game to watch, CWeb & Cotton certainly kept it interesting down the stretch doing what they do best, getting buckets.

Reply #908209 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Travers was playing on an injured ankle tonight. Did well to get out there.

Reply #908212 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

Rupert made a mockery of Travers and his defence is outstanding. He seems to have enormous upside but for some reason the mock picks aren't reflecting it... sitting 20+

A couple more games like that and he's locked in for rookie of the year though

Reply #908213 | Report this post

djmenow  
Last year

If Travers injury made his movement on the court limited it would have been better to keep him out and put Blanchfield or Harris out there instead rather than him having not 1 bit of impact out there.

Reply #908217 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

So if LT was injured why didn't Harris, whose shown heaps of energy and promise, play any minutes?

Reply #908218 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

@PW, who you cutting and any ideas on who you bring in ? Let's assume that Cotton is an Australian.

Wagstaff and Norton for a start.

Reply #908231 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

and if it's too hard for Danny boy to recruit locals bring in three legit imports.

No excuses after this season.

Reply #908232 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Considering how much of the load was carried by just a few, Perth did pretty well to hang in there.
We didn't deserve to win with that many passengers though.

Rupert vs Travers was pretty brutal. Respect.

Reply #908235 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

Rupert's decision making with the ball was outstanding and defensively he has so much potential.
1st game back after a 2 month lay off with a broken wrist and he performs like that, he will move up the mock draft boards for sure.

Reply #908237 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"and if it's too hard for Danny boy to recruit locals bring in three legit imports"

Yep, they need three imports who can provide more than the 66 points at 67% those pretenders did last night!

Reply #908238 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Okay but I'm basing it on our entire abysmal season not just one game.

Reply #908240 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

I love your passion, but it is blinding. Your team had a down patch early this season after a fast start, but they're 5-2 from their past seven games with an OT loss and a one-basket loss on the road to a top 2 team.

Reply #908242 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

More like frustration.

Yes, based on Last 10 form they are equal 4th right now (by a few points on difference) and 5th on Last 5 form but it belies the reality which is that the SoS has been weak at the same time.

Speaking of SoS the opponents coming up, sorted by current ladder position, are as follows:

1. SYD x 3 (!)
2. NZB
3. CNS
4. TAS
5. SEM (although they are horrible right now so you could lump them in with the group below)

The other two being ADL (tied with PER on 10-9) and ILL.

Oh my.

Reply #908243 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

They're 4-4 this season against the teams you've mentioned, and that includes the period where they weren't playing as well as now.

Reply #908244 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

0-0 vs SYD, those are going to be three interesting games.

Reply #908256 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

If our Points % (currently 101.06) hasn't taken a pummeling after the next 5 games I'll be very surprised.

Reply #908263 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

It was basically one bad stretch in the third quarter that cost Perth the game. That's all it takes against quality competition to cost you a game that

Reply #908337 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:00 pm, Mon 13 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754