Isaac
Years ago

Lamar Patterson signs one-year deal with Breakers

Topic #47478 | Report this topic

LoveBroker  
Years ago

LOL...Bullets were confident of signing Lamar previously.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-202021-brisbane-bullets-positive-about-resigning-star-swingman-lamar-patterson/news-story/55c9f743316363035d0a54abbffef62c

I think the Breakers don't lose much from this.

They don't need that super alpha-dog now they have all this NZ talent in their team.

They have scoring options everywhere.

Lamar can still b the star but be also complimentary to the Websters, Delany and Abercrombie.

Reply #814044 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

T Webster
C Webster
Patterson
Delaney
Import

Weeks
?
Abercrombie
Trist
Loe

Looking good to me

Reply #814045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

depth maybe a problem the bench looks shit

Reply #814046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least it's not United poaching someone else’s star!
Not sure a bench with Abercrombie (if he comes off the bench) and Loe qualifies as "shit" in the NBL...

Reply #814047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abercrombie, Weeks, Loe are very good depth. Who's looking shit is Brisbane and there b grade Australian players, bar perhaps two.

Reply #814048 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

Oh my Lord. That's a huge loss for Brisbane, but Drimc will no doubt make up for the loss of Patterson.

Reply #814049 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Good player, imagine if he lost weight though.

Reply #814050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"but Drimc will no doubt make up for the loss of Patterson." Said no one ever.

Reply #814052 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That comment surely was made by his mum.

Reply #814056 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Ironically the breakers might need to be based in Brisbane for the start of the season.

Reply #814058 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Championship favourites.

What an off-season for the Breakers adding Lamar Patterson, Corey Webster AND Tai Webster to a core of Loe, Delany, Abercrombie & Weeks and they can still sign a second import too. Unbelievable.

Reply #814059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit old that roster talented definitely, not won on paper.

Reply #814061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

brisbane should cut harrison and sign a 1 3 imports

Reply #814063 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Brisbane will be fine they have Drimic.....

Reply #814067 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Pretty solid plan b from Shamir & Walsh.
Hopefully they laid down the law in regards to turning up fit to pre season and not using the first half of the season to get in shape.
As mentioned above the Breakers lose pretty much nothing with this signing.
Im excited about the upcoming season if it proceeds with all the roster upgrades around the league.

NZ to sign:

Next Star.
Import Centre.
Back up SG.

I would be happy with Rausbatch as the back up SG.
Great team guy and can play without breaking the bank.

Walsh has said they are signing a next star so it will be interesting to see who they sign and their pedigree after Hampton.

NZ's roster looks great so far.

Reply #814068 | Report this post

Sourbroker  
Years ago

There's some stupid stuff posted on here, but stating that bench looks shit is pretty tops. We’ll done you.

Reply #814069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster / Weeks / Li
Webster / NS / Rusbatch / Murray?
Patterson / Abercrombie
Delany / Trist / Galloway
Ashley / Loe / Wynyard?

Could be Oliver over ashley

Reply #814070 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Good lineup but do they have a replacement lined up for Corey if he decides to play overseas midseason with his team in Finals contention?

Reply #814071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont think ashley is returning i heard there after a 7fter as centre

Reply #814072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well the Bullets sure are f***ed.

Don't blame Lamar wanting to find greener pastures away from Lemonass.

Reply #814073 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hopson was still sitting on a contract offer from the Breakers since March, clearly they got sick of waiting.

Reply #814075 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Taine Murray although injured probably has a good shot at a DP spot to go with Li & Galloway.

Reply #814076 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Santa's saying NZ are going to start Lamar at SG and bring Webster off the bench.
That bench still shit?

T.Web/ Weeks
Patterson/ C.Web
Abercrombie/
Delaney/ Trist
Loe/ Import

Reply #814077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would have been great to have Hopson back, but that's the way it goes. Will be interesting to see where he signs if he does return to the NBL. I assume the Breakers just couldn’t afford him.

Patterson is a good player and our team looks good so far. Definitely need an import big though. Ashley was great last season, I would be happy to see him come back.

Reply #814078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopson was great but I think this is a better fit for breakers as his passing game is better and he is not selfish, he'll find open shooters. Certainly favourites at present but the championship goes through Perth, don’t forget that.

Reply #814081 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Santa's saying NZ are going to start Lamar at SG and bring Webster off the bench.

If true I don't get that at all after how much the Breakers praised Patterson in the press release specifically as the best SF in the league the last two seasons. Very odd.

Maybe they don't want Corey to come back and would prefer getting buyout money for him so putting out there he'll be coming off the bench. No way Corey will accept that he would start on ever other roster in the league.

Reply #814082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bold of the Breakers to assume to 2020 season is actually going ahead, lol.

Breakers may be early favourites, but they will be disadvantaged by having zero home games. They will almost certainly be based in Australia if the season even happens. Trans-Tasman bubble ain't happening for a long time.

Reply #814083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few years ago when Paul Henare bought Kirk Penney back and Corey came off the bench he spat the dummy big time! Absolutely no way Corey will accept that.

Reply #814084 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Madness.

Interestingly, the word I'm getting out of New Zealand is that the Breakers are likely to play 'LP’ at the two, with Tom Abercrombie and Finn Delany at the forward spots and an athletic import at the five. That kind of line-up would see Corey Webster, the third-leading scorer at last year’s FIBA World Cup, being utilised as an impact bucket-getter off the bench.

Either way, Patterson will be one of the league’s best players once again next season and, with the line-up they’re putting together, you can already lock the Breakers in as legitimate title contenders.

https://nbl.com.au/news/free-agency-analysis-lamar-patterson-to-nz-breakers

That does sound like they want Corey to move on.

Reply #814087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who knows... they still have another import spot, so technically they could still sign Hopson.
Start Loe at center giving them perimeter shooting at every position. Convince Pledger to come back for depth in the middle as he's pretty much lost his spot at MU.

Webster
Webster
Hopson
Patterson
Loe

Weeks
Abercrombie
Galloway
Delaney
Trist
Pledger
and a NS if one becomes available

That squad would win the championship

Reply #814088 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

I think Patterson is an upgrade.

Hopson defence lapses and silly turnovers.

Webster to start. Coming off the bench is dumb.

Bench looks great, except Trist. FFS what were they thinking. They weren't.

Reply #814089 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Rusbatch. Why didn't he play nznbl? Silly boy. Won't get a breakers contract.

Reply #814090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No thanks to Pledger - we need someone athletic, it will be an import for sure.

Totally forgot about Trist... the most random unnecessary signing.

Reply #814091 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

As you will already know, I am sorry for the loss of Patterson form the Bullets.

But, the Breakers!?

Having the 2 Websters, one a PG, who will demand lots of the ball (presumably, that is his offensive job), the other a SG who loves the ball in his own hands, and Patterson who seems unstoppable when he has the ball. With just one ball in the game, leaves me wondering how that will work. Patterson would be a bonus to any side but will he be any real benefit for this Breakers line-up?

If the Breakers really can play as a team, I agree, they will be very hard to beat. I have no reason to accuse LP(my pin-up player), of being selfish or ego driven. On the Bullets roster he was definitely the man and certainly he was the go-to man. Don't know enough about Tai W but he is a point guard and, I believe a very good one. Hard to earn that sort of rep if he don't do lots with the ball. Corey, don't know him either but he does display a lot of ME, ME, ME. and he does dribble heaps. He's damn good but he's not Harden.

Here's the line-up from Mystro, above.
T.Web/ Weeks
Patterson/ C.Web
Abercrombie/
Delaney/ Trist
Loe/ Import

On paper, they look awesome! I don't see Corey W being happy coming off the bench though, especially behind LP who can play 30 mins easily. Corey could spend some time at the point, but what about Weeks?
1s.T.Web/Weeks
2s.C.Web/ NS?
3s.Patterson/Abercrombie
4s.Delaney/ Trist
5s.Loe/ Import
So, a back-up for Corey W. is all that's needed, and he can be a NS, can't he?
That would mean that Pledger, who is still avail apparently, could join the team and you could add a cheaper import, back-up big, maybe a 5/4 or even a Boone who must be itching to have a good season again.

Whatever they do from here looks very good (for them, anyway).

Reply #814093 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Shamir loves Abercrombie but I would play him off the bench.
Corey cares if he starts.
You wouldn't play Corey and LP for long stretches together but you could play them to see who gets hot first early in the game.

Reply #814096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I was a Brisbane supporter, I'd be PISSED! Not at Lamar, at the club.

The failings of Lemanis (both coaching and recruiting) have been well discussed in local circles. Despite his underwhelming record in the River City, good mate Clarky (with two feet practically out the door!!) gifts Andrej ANOTHER three years.

Lamar heading across the dutch is a vote of no confidence in the coach in my books. Had enough, fed up, can see the grass is greener elsewhere.

Now the Bullets are up the river without a paddle. No classy imports and a roster full of middling talent. If there is a season, they have no chance of filling that tremendous scoring gap now.

Kevin Martin where are youuuuuu?

Reply #814098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see how they make it all fit together, but I see Corey Webster sticking around. One of the reasons Tai Webster signed was to play with Corey. I would think Abercrombie off the bench is a better fit, ego wise, but if Corey is happy to play off the bench (unlikely) that would be a better fit for the team and give them some serious scoring punch in their second unit.

Is the 7 ft'er Pledger?

It would be interesting to see what NS they may have. Are there any NS prospects that can play the 4 or 5?

Reply #814099 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't think the talk of playing Patterson at the 2 is legit probably more about trying to push Corey out now that they've got Tai signed. I can't see Patterson playing anything other than the 3 which would mean Abercrombie off the bench.

Reply #814100 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Do we trust Santamaria's source on the starting 2 story?

I do wonder whether the Breakers missed signing Wetzell because the offer to Hopson was significantly more than the Patterson offer. The Trist signing seems to make less sense each day (particularly after the NBL Showcase).

Marc Hinton's reporting that the Breakers are looking for a 3/4-type Kiwi, to which Ngatai and Vodanovich are in range. I'd still back Rusbatch - especially when the only notable unsigned HS player from the 2020 class is 4-star recruit Kenyon Martin Jr. Walsh wouldn't look for a no-name NS - he'd want someone with some cachet (and the only other route would be a draft-and-stash, but that'd be a late decision). I'm weary of front court NS players though - is a 17/18 year old front court player ever ready for the NBL?

Loe / Import
Delany / Trist / Martin Jr (NS)
Patterson / Abercrombie
C.Webster / Rusbatch
T.Webster / Weeks

I do wonder if Terry Li is staying this season too - Izayah Le'afa has been rumoured to be a DP (plus Taane Samuel would be a worthwhile look for the Breakers at a DP spot).

Reply #814104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leafa is worth a look. Samuel will never play NBL. If they missed out on Wetzell because of Hopson delaying that would be unfortunate. Happy to be proven wrong but Trist is like a Ben Thompson signing from the Arsego days.

Reply #814106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopson is a helluva player, but Patterson is a slight upgrade. While Hopson has a bit more length and athleticism, Patterson's game is more polished. I’ll never forget the ten turnover game Hopson had against Cairns. Patterson, however, still made all NBL first team even though he was overweight for most, if not all, of the season!

Reply #814109 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

They are different players, but in an empty cupboard scenario I'm picking Hopson as the better overall player. There's a legit question mark over fit on that Breakers roster though, especially if Corey returns.

Reply #814111 | Report this post

Yeah  
Years ago

They look shit

Reply #814113 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'd take Hopson over Patterson. Just.

But they're both All nbl 1st team level so if you have either of them, you're doing alright

Speaking of which, if Prather fails his medical, I hope United throws everything at Hopson.

Reply #814117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Do we trust Santamaria's source on the starting 2 story?" Closer to the mark than any nicked or anonymous source.

Reply #814119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weeks must be the most overrated backup in the league. Everyone craps on about how great he is, but he just isn't.
C Webster is a twat. No other team in the world will put up with his shit, so he's back at the Breakers, for now. They'll have to start Abercrombie at the 2.
Trist is a crab and Loe isnt much better. Thats one shit bench. Just imagine if Webster junior is as big a dick as his brother. Or is he also going to fuck off as soon as Europe opens up?

Reply #814125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patterson looking forward to all that Carl's Jr

Reply #814134 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Definitely going to be in Australia if it goes ahead. NZ is going to be shut for another year or two at the least.

Hoping the Breakers don't look too much into the recent NZNBL in deciding final roster spots/DP’s. It was a pretty bush league. I like that it’s given players a league to showcase what they can do but it’s not the real "NZNBL" and everything should be taken with a grain of salt.

Reply #814144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Walsh feeding Santa bs, no way Patterson can play 2

Reply #814146 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Patterson is a 3 who can play some 4, won't play 2.

Reply #814152 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Yes Patterson is more of a 4 than a 2. Maybe trying to scare him into bring in shape by saying hell play the 2.

Macdub. Nznbl - what on earth are you going on about?

Reply #814233 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Did the Breakers have to slash their design department to get the cash for him? Their logo looks like it was done on Microsoft Word.

https://www.nblstore.com.au/collections/new-zealand-breakers

Reply #814267 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:11 pm, Fri 10 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754