Anonymous
Years ago

Why has the AFL gone ahead but NBL couldn’t play 2 games?

As per title. Was the wrong decision made?

Topic #47081 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bad error in the thread title. Should be 'Why has the AFL gone ahead but SYDNEY KINGS couldn't play 2 games?'

Reply #801194 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Well one of the training staff have contracted it so it probably will close down for a month now

Reply #801196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL stating all good as staff member wasn't in contact with players

Reply #801198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Virus must be inactivated by oval shaped balls?

Reply #801200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL has become a non contact sport

Reply #801203 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Perth were prepared to play game 4.

Reply #801214 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Bad error in the thread title should have said "Why couldn't Sydney Kings play 1 more game?"

Reply #801216 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

In reality a small group of healthy young athletes and support staff, that are monitored and follow protocols with no crowd is immensely low risk of adding to the outbreak. The only concern plaguing sports is that it's a bad look when they’re trying to convince a dumb and stubborn population that of the majority of people should follow protocols so that we can minimise the spread or slow it down and lesson the impact it has on our population.

We’re extremely lucky. The rest of the world is in winter / colder weather. Viruses life spans outside the body are fairly short, but in warmer weather, like Australian weather, it’s cut down massively. Hence why the flu is more prevalent in winter than summer. If we haven’t passed the worst of it before winter hits we will have to take further measures I think.

Reply #801218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings wanted to chill at Bondi.

Reply #801224 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Amid all the argument about what was and wasn't agreed, people seem to forget that Sydney had already lost the season.
There was simply no way they come back and win both remaining games, hence they had no motivation to play on. It would also have completely legitimised Perth's victory, and given Sydney no basis for complaint.

That said, I don't see how the AFL can continue.
Compared to the measures being imposed elsewhere, it is fundamentally stupid, reckless, and irresponsible.

The WA government, without actually imposing a ban, has told people to avoid unnecessary interstate travel. On that basis alone, the Eagles need to stay at home.

And I'm afraid I have to completely disagree with Phil.
These teams, and their staff, train together 5~6 days a week. It only takes ONE person, anywhere, to bring it from home, and before he knows it, he has infected 40~50 other guys. Those guys will all take it home to their families, and worst case scenario spread it to a couple of planeloads of people, and another team.
It's all very well to say that on a plane if one person has it, only those very close are at risk, but you put 20~30 infected people in there, and that whole plane is going to be infected.

Reply #801241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings had a high % of players and key staff who were from overseas - not just the US, but Brazil and Germany too. There was a rapidly devolving situation both on the ground in those places, as well as in terms of ability to travel. There's also been the suggestion - and I'm not sure if there's crossover here - that a couple of the players have family members who are in the high-risk category health-wise (I think cancer was mentioned). They made a welfare decision to let those who were anxious make a run for home while they definitely still could, and if they were different players, perhaps a decision to let those who had high-risk family members withdraw as well. And it's pretty easy to see the team that remains making an all-in or all-out *team* decision beyond that.

I'm more surprised by the A-League decision (also with high % of internationals) than I am the AFL/NRL decisions. And I don't think you'll see the AFL and NRL getting too far into their seasons...

I think you can be annoyed by the fuss over how the awarding of the title decision was made, but I can't see how the Kings decision there was anything other than wholly decent and wholly commendable, IMO. The players were all on flights out within 24hrs - they weren't f'ing around. Perth fans seem to be in love with spreading the 'Sydney quit because they were going to lose' fever-dream around the place, but these are not 13 year olds, it's just such a ridiculous premise, both at an organisational level, but especially at a player level.

Anyway, I think the Kings definitely, clearly made the right decision. If you think about yourself in a position of management or ownership of one of these clubs, you can see how it's both a really tough and really easy decision to make. I'd think most decent people would have called it the same way the Kings did, and I'd like to think that the Wildcats would have called it that way too.

Reply #801257 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Ware couldn't score shooting into a hoola hoop size ring at Kings training. Blamed it all on Covid19 and wanted to fly home straight away.

Reply #801258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just to follow up - maybe I'm a bit more sympathetic to that situation because I'm in London. I've been living and working here for ten years so it feels like 'home', but with two parents back in Sydney in their 70s, I'm very aware of the lack of ability to actually get back there right now (there are almost no available flights - Emirates is really the only one still running semi-regular direct, no Qantas, British Airways etc, and if/when Emirates suddenly shut it down?), and of course even once home, there's two weeks isolation - something I would take extremely seriously, because of course, I'd quite like to not kill one or both of my parents, as that would feel pretty bad. 'Stay or go' is not an easy decision to make, and has not been an easy one for me to make over the past fortnight.

If you're Didi, for example, where you were already facing a situation that had suddenly degraded to become a 36 hour trip via multiple stops to get home, there was a very real possibility that in another week (days?) it might simply be impossible. If you're Tate, you're the oldest kid of a large family and you're watching a rapidly escalating and scary situation on the ground in your home country. He seems like a thoroughly decent human, and it's easy to imagine him feeling a high level of anxiety around his families wellbeing, and good on him for wanting to prioritise getting to them. And that's just two of six members of the Kings core player/coaching staff who are from other countries, and not living here long-term.

Meanwhile, I'm also watching footage of a packed Bondi Beach, so perhaps the true reality of the global situation isn't quite sinking in over there just yet.

Reply #801263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To put simply! It because of MONEY!

Both the AFL & NRL are all about everyone getting their monthly cheque.

Hence why you haven't heard one commentator, journalist, any coaches,
players, staff member from either league criticize them for playing,
when the Australian government has made it clear, everyone need to stay
indoors.

All involved with the sports have either avoided that subject or when
it is mentioned, it's watered down with excuses, like it is great for
people to have a break from the coronavirus and support their team.

What a load of BS!

Reply #801268 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Anon #268 has hit the nail on the head. It's all about money.

Sure cancelling 2 games was easy but I reckon the NBL would have still cancelled the season if we were say 80% through the regular season had it hit then.

The difference is that the AFL & NRL have become so big (or so capitalised from different angles) that the amount of stakeholders grows and eventually the weight of those stakeholder interests have basically left them with no other option but to play on.

Also, in regards to the NRL, it would seem in my view that NRL management haven't had any foresight for something like this (which any BCP should have) and they put so much reliance on TV money without any reserves - that basically, had they not played on this year, the game would have been on life support.

Also ironically enough, whilst you'd think that AFL/NRL players are better resourced than others to take a pay cut (Given their salaries), they were probably the guys out of all sporting leagues that were the most up in arms about any potential pay cut. I guess the simple rationale could be that the more you get paid, the harder it is to let go of it? Missing out on 100k is one thing, but 500k another?

Reply #801275 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

All three of the A-League, AFL and NRL are paid by Fox in advance via quarterly installments. The next one is due on 1st April so they need to complete their rounds next weekend. No play, no pay.

Reply #801276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Show me where the government has told everyone to stay indoors. Hasn't happened. #268 making things up now.

Reply #801279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said #263, and congrats to the Kings for setting a valuable example of how to sensibly manage this increasingly severe health crisis. Sadly, a large proportion of the Australian population (e.g. Bondi beachgoers) have failed to recognise the massive danger we are all in.

Reply #801318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth just wanted the championship. Who cares about health issues.

Reply #801322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The AFL has postponed the 2020 season as governments around the country move to implement drastic new measures amid the coronavirus pandemic."
Another flaw in Perth Wankers argument.

Reply #801331 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Blah blah.

Reply #801333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never should have gone ahead. Liberal stooges going against unbiased medical opinion and ignoring what's happened overseas.

CEO should be held accountable, and lets just hope no AFL player/volunteer gets sick or dies due to Round 1 going ahead.

Reply #801336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hindsight is great, at the time it looked only Perth should be winners but now kings have been proved correct.

Reply #801344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings were proven incorrect when they refused the option to play best of 3.

Reply #801355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings weren't proved correct about anything. They only chose to cite player safety concerns once the series was unwinnable.

Reply #801369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL still playing as I write this. Game 5 would have been over by now.

Reply #801371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL would definitely still be on if it wasn't for the states closing their borders. It doesn't really have any relevance to the NBL.

That said - the AFL should never have started this year. It's a massive contributor as to why so many people are not taking this virus seriously. They're not alone though.

Reply #801374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings imports would not be able to get home as the US has closed their boarders or have 14 day restrictions if allowed in, California has closed.

Kings did what is right for there imports. It's not in dispute now. They would not get home.

Reply #801378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings could have played without their imports if they were that concerned about them being stuck here. They could have also said that was the reason they didn't want to play.

Reply #801381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rubbish. Borders are not closed to Americans returning home.

Reply #801382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

14 day isolation when arriving in the states.

Reply #801390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not about the level of restrictions and travel issues at the exact time the Kings decided to withdraw, it's that the situation was changing so rapidly every day that they couldn't possibly predict where it would be in another 48 hours time, let alone in another week. Same goes for the situation on the ground in the players/coaches home countries, or specific cities.

Some players on their team wanted to prioritise their families over a couple of sports games and the Kings supported this and agreed that it was best to get them out asap while they knew they could definitely still get home. This decision is completely separate to the decision around whether a winner should have been awarded or not and the two shouldn't be jumbled together. And it was a wholly commendable decision, and the Kings players and staff and owners should be very proud of themselves for making it, IMO.

#369 - "The Kings weren't proved correct about anything. They only chose to cite player safety concerns once the series was unwinnable." - I think anyone who jumps to this kind of belief is just showing a window into how they personally would handle any challenges in their own life.

Reply #801398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just stop

Reply #801401 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

AFL is over.
Not sure about NRL, but imagine they will be the same or similar.

Can we talk about something else now?

Good news is that there is a realistic chance of this being well under control before next season, so the off-season discussions can still be interesting.

Reply #801408 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Good news is that there is a realistic chance of this being well under control before next season
I have no idea what gives you that impression.

Reply #801417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with just stop all this crap. How many threads are their that just go in circles, please block these threads.

Reply #801420 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

In fairness there's not much else to talk about.

Reply #801424 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

It's going to be a long winter.
Surprised NRL still going.

Reply #801426 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Years ago

This is a league where it's stars take dumps in hotel hallways and pee in public, are we that surprised?

Reply #801437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" This decision is completely separate to the decision around whether a winner should have been awarded or not and the two shouldn't be jumbled together. "

Then why are Sydney conflating them?

Reply #801443 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:50 am, Fri 10 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754