Locke
Years ago

Team Ratings Part 1- Sydney Kings

Backcourt - Jerome Randle, Tom Wilson, Kyle Adnam, Kevin Lisch

Backcourt Rating: B

Signing Adnam was a great move by the Kings to give Randle a decent backup, while Adnam isn't anything special, he gets the job done and provides a spark off the bench. Tom Wilson is an unknown quantity but playing in a stacked team behind Kevin Lisch, the Kings won't be expecting much from him, junk minutes will surfice. All in all a seriously talented guard duo to start, with a solid bench that won't need to set the world on fire for the Kings to dominate.

Frontcourt - Andrew Bogut, David Wear, Daniel Kickert, Brad Newley, Deng Deng, Dane Pineau, Josh Childress.

Frontcourt Rating: A+

Not much needs to be said about the frontcourt of this years Kings, they have a premier interior defender in Bogut, shooters to pair him with in Wear and Kickert, not to mention slotting Josh Childress in at the starting PF spot capping off a Golden State-like starting 5 of Randle, Lisch, Newley, Childress and Bogut.

Newley returns most likely at the Small Forward with Deng Deng to back him up. Dane is unlikely to see many minutes unless injuries hit, still not a bad player to have up your sleeve if needed.

Topic #43691 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since when was Childress signed?

Reply #698936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's just say with that gaff I'm not looking forward to seven more parts. *cringe*

Reply #698937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ there is probably a reason you're anon. Most likely because you're a twat. Locke wrote a decent piece.

Reply #698938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great post Locke.

It would be great if you substantiate the grade a touch more by exploring strengths and weaknesses, i.e a lisch Randle backcourt has to be an A surely? However if you said they were old, injury prone and potentially undersized then the B makes more sense.

What do you rate the frontcourt without Childress? Can bogut and Kickert ever share the floor and defend the perimeter?

Will the lineup of death (small ball) become a thing in the NBL?

Reply #698939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It reads as a Kings fan being too eager. No mention at all of age issues. Many better entries on here about the Kings which were better. Not a new topic worthy post hence the comment.

Reply #698940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What could possibly go wrong?

Reply #698942 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Locke, if Randle and Lisch is the starting back court that rates as a "B", who do you think is an "A"?

Reply #698945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A backcourt with at least one proven player on the bench?

Reply #698946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Wilson over takes Adnam by seasons end?

Reply #698947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While i agree that this frontcourt will dominate against other traditional frontcourts (eg. Perths Kay/Brandt or Cairns Walker/Jawai) I am keen to see Kings play teams with faster or stretch bigs. I very much doubt a 30+ frontcourt (with the defensive liability that is Kickert) will keep up with the likes of Ogilvy/Conklin or Deng/Johnson

Reply #698948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not included
A) Coaching - F
B) Management - F
C) Chemistry - Unknown
D) Aged Care Plan - Unknown
E) History of dealing with expectations - F

Reply #698949 | Report this post

ASternWarning  
Years ago

I have to rate the Kings backcourt an 'A'. Any backcourt with two recent league MVPs backed up by two promising livewires with talent has to be an A.

When you include the fact that Newley can slide to the two when you want to go big and that the final piece to the roster will possibly be someone the likes of Kendall Stephens (or dare I say it, an Anatoly Bose if there was mutual desire), It's an EXTREMELY strong backcourt.

As previously mentioned, Childress is not coming.

The biggest question actually comes in the frontcourt - not as a question of talent - but rather of getting the mix to work together. There is a mix of experienced talent and youth - Gaze just needs to work out how they fit together nicely in lineup combos and to best use their skills (and cover weaknesses).

Reply #698950 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

In theory the spacing of Wear and Kickert meshes well with Bogut... biggest question mark is health (across the board really, but especially the frontcourt).

Reply #698954 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the backcourt is probably better than the frontcourt. Two very capable MVP-level guards with exceptional ball-handling skills, both can score. Then Wilson coming off a strong SEABL season and Adnam is fine - knows what he's doing, can't question his effort, doesn't wreck team structure. Plus Newley/whoever can come across to SG a bit. I think that's an A.

Reply #698957 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Two former MVP's as your starting back court : B

seems legit

Reply #698962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not included
A) Coaching - F
B) Management - F
C) Chemistry - Unknown
D) Aged Care Plan - Unknown
E) History of dealing with expectations - F

Exactly what I meant - the original review ignored all of these aspects yet I was hounded for being a twat. Good to see people with more reality post on here subsequently. JvG is really going for boom or bust here.

Reply #698976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Will the lineup of death (small ball) become a thing in the NBL?"

Wildcats used it quite often last season with a lineup of Martin/Cotton/Tokoto/Wagstaff/Walker and i think statistically it was very effective, i remember reading an article about it. I expect them to use it even more this season with Kay being an upgrade over Walker at the C position in the small lineup.

Reply #698980 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

The back court is pretty good offensively, but I think there are some question marks defensively. Both Randle and Lisch are small guards and if Lisch has lost a step then his defence may fall away. I can't see Newley playing much time at guard either unless they sign a starting quality small forward. I like Adnam off the bench - wish Joey had been able to keep him instead of Doyle!

Reply #698993 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I think Sydney have the talent to compete for a championship but as we all know talent alone gets you nowhere. The big questions will be cohesion and chemistry. They have some pretty strong characters (Bogut, Randle, Kickert) and if they can all co-exist peacefully and work together as a team then they should be up there at the pointy end of the season.

Reply #699011 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Firstly, I think in the modern game, backcourt would include your 3's, or at least 2/3's.
So you've got Randle, Lisch, and Newley. easily the most stacked backcourt in the league.

Only thing that drags it down from an AAA++ is the age/injury factor.
Which coincidentally also drags the frontcourt down.

And yes, you do need to factor in Gaze, who scores an F-.

Reply #699025 | Report this post

Jason Cadee  
Years ago

inb4 multiple old man injuries. Reporting this whole thread for spam.

Reply #699071 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sydney seem to be lacking back-up guards who can defend, which I think is really important, and apart from Pineau they lack bigs who can actively defend the on-ball, which limits what they can do defensively.

That said, offensively they have some very good pieces so oppo should be taking the ball out of the net a lot, and they have veterans who know how to defend in a team setting, so that should cover some of the weaknesses.

I don't think they're head and shoulders above, but they should certainly be one of the contenders. Having an import spot up their sleeves is important with the number of veterans they have.

Reply #699087 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:21 am, Mon 20 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754