Pud
Last year

NBL1 Blues

Frankston certainly have the Blues. They spend more than any other metro club, and have only one junior in each program. Women lose elimination final by 40, men out in straight sets. That's a lot of domestic family's money for absolutely no result!

Topic #51267 | Report this topic

Billy Bob  
Last year

Club down the road that finished bottom would spend the same if not more.

Not ideal to go out in straight sets but Frankston are consistent top to bottom of program are doing well.

Reply #920991 | Report this post

Pud  
Last year

Frankston CEO telling people they spend only $14k on men's program! I know for a fact that Newley is on $20k plus!

Reply #920992 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Who cares how much they spend?

Reply #920993 | Report this post

Pud  
Last year

Probably the families that pay fees every week??

Reply #920994 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

As long as their domestic programs get serviced properly I'm pretty confident what the NBL1 program spends is the furthest thing from parents minds.

Reply #920995 | Report this post

Pud  
Last year

And the U/18 and youth kids that get overlooked because they keep buying in players??

Reply #920996 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

The nature of semi professional sport

Reply #920998 | Report this post

Juice  
Last year

P - petty
U - uninformed
D - delusional

You're what’s wrong with this sport. Get over yourself. Always someone out to tear something or someone down so they have something to stand on. How did the association you manage do this season Pud? How did you spend your associations money? Why are you so concerned about how Frankston spends theirs? From the sellouts they have had all season I’m sure the domestic money was. Safe.. get a life and figure out how to support players getting paid and basketball being promoted. Smh.

Reply #920999 | Report this post

Pud  
Last year

Good clubs can develop their own as well as pay for outsiders. Look at Sandy and Kilsyth. And Juice, I know you don't care about kids development, but the sport is going so well I'd hate to see clubs diverting development money into senior programs for the sake of chest beating.

Reply #921001 | Report this post

Juice  
Last year

NBL1 is not development it's professional basketball. And I’m looking at Sandy and kilsyth, are they still in the finals?

Reply #921002 | Report this post

Pud  
Last year

Sandy in mens prelim next week old Juicey. Women also made finals. And its not a professional league.

Reply #921003 | Report this post

Juice  
Last year

Sandy women went out in straight sets. And kilsyth didn't even sniff the finals so are they a failure also? Should families be inquiring where the domestic money has been spent. "NBL1 is not professional" okay now I know alI am disagreeing with a person that has never played or coached basketball for a living are maybe at all. If NBL1 is not professional, then what is NBL1 development for and why pay any players or coaches to participate?

Reply #921006 | Report this post

Pud  
Last year

I'm wasting my time with you Juice. You have no idea about the sport, and how young players develop through the ranks. A couple of fact checks mate. Sandy women lost an elimination final, so not straight sets, and Kilsyth have 9 locals in the men's team, of which all of them played juniors for the club. Very competitive this year. The only part of NBL1 that is fully professional, are the NBL players that are lured by the cash. 90% of players have to work for a living. Sorry for the facts getting in the way of your "story".

Reply #921010 | Report this post

Red84  
Last year

Can't see what the problem is. The Blues roster is an interesting collection of players - mostly Aussies who have played for other clubs. "So what?" I say. Frankston grooms good players who - for whatever reason - play elsewhere. Domestic imports bring experience and quality to the club - lifting the performance of local players and the competition more generally. The backstories of each of these women are varied - some have returned from stints in US colleges; some got little love from selectors, didn't make national or even state teams, but are still terrific players. If not for NBL1 - many of these women would be lost to the sport, which would be a shame.
I'm a great NBL1 enthusiast.

Reply #921013 | Report this post

perspective  
Last year

Pud
The CEO did not say that in fact at an NBL1 conference he transparently told us all what Frankston spend equally for Women and Men. Sounds as if you are disgruntled and if that is the Casey then go well.

Reply #921049 | Report this post

Juice  
Last year

Pudgy...You keep throwing the development word around like it's the sole responsibility of the club to make kids good enough. The players have to put in the work. But since you know so much about it and clearly I don’t, can you please teach me about development because I have some questions.

If NBL1 is for development, what is it development for?

What programs has the club failed to provide its players from 12’s to youth league to become the player they are capable of being?

At what age does development end for a player and accountability kick in?

When can you ascertain an athlete is just not good enough
and what then?

What basketball is professional?

If a player is truly good enough to be professional shouldn’t they leave the club at 19 years old for better opportunities like AIS, US College, G league or NBL development?

What players that are in those spaces from Frankston are not playing with Frankston in NBL1?

Thank you for the lesson in advance it will be good for my development

Reply #921051 | Report this post

Ostrich80  
Last year

Pud... CEO said 14K?...really? really?? Why not go into the club, or any NBL1 club, and find out what are the actual facts around what the clubs spend, not something you just rigged together yourself...

To clarify, is the spending association funds on homegrown talent okay, but spending the same funds on bringing NBL/WNBL talent and entertainment to a domestic audience isn't?

If you had children that played juniors at Frankston that left, and they wanted to play at another club, should they be able to? What about that club's juniors?

What happens when parents are kicked out? Should the player's career end because of, for example, a father's disgusting behaviour? Or should they be able to move to other clubs like Casey, Chelsea, Dandenong, McKinnon and Sandringham?

If it is okay, surely they should never be paid?

Reply #921053 | Report this post

Pud  
Last year

You all make good points, but I get concerned when local juniors don't get their chance at NBL1 level because the clubs choose to chase success with outsiders. Surely you clowns can understand that. Not holding my breath though!

Reply #921058 | Report this post

Juice  
Last year

I wasn't making a point, I think I asked you specific questions. Can I assume that since you’ve resorted to calling us clowns that you have no answers? I like clowns and answers.

Reply #921066 | Report this post

perspective  
Last year

Pud
We were not making a point simply calling you out for making stuff up. You didnt hear anywhere the Frankston GM make a claim of paying a total of $14k. Sounds very much like you are a very disgruntled ex Frankston person that holds grudges. Ask a current Waverley mens player and a current Frankston player what was offered by your club, if Newley is on $20k then double that for each of those 2 that your club tried to cheque book recruit..

Reply #921072 | Report this post

EthanHunt  
Last year

I'm not having a go here but I don't understand Pud's logic on this one.
I presume he doesn't have kids who play ball ? Alternatively if they do I presume they are still at the same club they played their junior games with? If his kids are at another club that means they are stopping what he refers to as local talent being developed and thus defeating his own argument.

Frankston appear to have strong leadership off the court and a well respected GM / CEO. They have sold out games most weeks with plenty of juniors in the crowd.
Perhaps Sandringham could take a leaf out of the Blues book and try selling out a few games.
Finally try telling the players that the NBL1 is a development league. Players that are trying to get contracts overseas, play for the Opals, go to College etc. Its the 2nd best league in Australia and far from a development league.
If you are playing Youth League at 20yo chances are you should be looking for a Big V team and not waiting for a NBL1 call up!

Reply #921139 | Report this post

EthanHunt  
Last year

One more thing. Every NBL1 program would love to have a team stacked with local talent ... its not realistic.. and for those local kids who are good enough then they deserve to have players in the program who will make them better.

Pud, if you want to throw stones you should be throwing stones at Casey. Talk about an under achieving program who have the funds and quantity of youth. Both teams horrendous this year ... yet played players who came from other programs.
Their mens team has been a grave yard for former Blues players for god knows how many years.

Reply #921153 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:30 am, Thu 16 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754