Bullets
Last month

Jack White to MU Confirmed

https://nbl.com.au/news/nba-champion-returns-to-melbourne

2 year deal, with the second a player option.

Guessing this means Travers is gone?

Topic #51987 | Report this topic

word14  
Last month

Probably, if so all the best to him, hope we get to see what he can do in the NBA

Reply #941597 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

I was actually wondering the other day whether United might be tempted to sign White irrespective of Travers' status

Reply #941599 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

They would work together brilliantly, two exceptional team players. Good luck to travers if nba comes calling.

Reply #941600 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

White is the ultimate team player. Plays with heart every second on the floor, leads by example, and one of the best defenders going around.

Hoping he can bring his improved three-ball and a more rounded overall offensive game this time, as he's definitely got all-NBL potential if he can.

Interesting Vickerman mentioned he's been playing 5 in G league. He was playing a bit of 3 last time with United. Could play multiple positions really. Interesting decisions for United. If Travers stays, do they start them both with an import big? Or go from left field and play small-ball with White, Travers and an import 3?

If Travers goes then White should slot into that 4 spot, but still some interesting decisions for United in terms of what types of imports they bring in. Ian Clark has been mentioned but I wonder if a 3 man with more size might be a better option given Flynn Cameron's waiting in the wings at guard

Reply #941604 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last month

Travers isn't coming back.

Reply #941605 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

How do we know that?

Cleveland are in the middle of a playoff series, free agency and the draft are a while away- I wouldn't think they'd typically be telling Travers they wanted him for next season? They mightve told him he's playing G League at minimum perhaps?

Either way, I think Whites the type of guy you just sign if you get the opportunity.

Reply #941606 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Wonder how the Marcus Lee to MU situation is going, still seems possible but who knows

Reply #941608 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

Travers' best shot at NBA court time would be to take a paycut, play G League, and hope for a call up. It's the right stage of his career to give it a shot IMO.

Reply #941609 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

I agree it would be the right move for Travers.

Reply #941614 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Last month

For MU, White in, Travers out really moves the needle. White can influence the outcome of games in the NBL far more than Travers can.

Reply #941623 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

Yes, plus White is coming off a few years in the US and entering his prime. I still think Travers might be the better player in the long-run (White was finishing college at this stage of his career), but at this point in their careers White is an upgrade.

Reply #941624 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Michael Randall - "United have known for a while Travers will be exploring NBA opportunities next year"

Reply #941626 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

What does "exploring NBA opportunities" mean in Travers' context?

Cavs have his rights don't they?

He ripped up Summer League last year but those are short term tournaments with different players each year, it's a context driven situation and no guarantee he'd be in the same vein of form this time

White an upgrade right now. He's a winner through and through. I get the impression he's a very different person to Travers. Travers clearly has NBA potential in the long run but he's only 22 and not a natural leader like White.

Reply #941630 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last month

What does "exploring NBA opportunities" mean in Travers' context?
G League.

Reply #941632 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

But who initiates that?

Since Cavs own his rights, presumably he can only play for Cavs G League- unless they release him?

And that's on the Cavs to invite him, yes?

hence my question "exploring NBA opportunities" is a misleading way to explain that, if my understanding is correct.

"Travers is expected to join the Cavs G League affiliate Cleveland Charge" is more accurate

Reply #941637 | Report this post

Cram  
Last month

I would assume (though don't know for sure) that if a guy is an NBA team's draft pick and they aren't interested in signing him (yet) but he says "I'll just play for your G league team" and they say no, there's probably some obligation, at least implied, to trade his rights or release him.

They might try to talk him out of it, but it would cost them nothing to have him there and could get a proper look at him. Can't see that they would.

It'll be interesting whatever happens as last year's line was that both sides agreed he'd be better off in NBL than signing a two way. I am guessing he'll take a 2 way now.

Reply #941646 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Still no word on Travers?

Appears United's in the odd position of having Travers and White signed, with both of them having NBA out-clauses.

They could conceivably end up with neither of them. Or, probably less likely (given the rumours around Travers and the fact they signed White) but not impossible, both of them.

I'm thinking this means United will be making late import decisions. Hopefully the imports are Rayjon Tuckers not Jordan Carolines!

Reply #942137 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last month

Travers isn't coming back.

Reply #942138 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:55 pm, Mon 10 Jun 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754