NEMelb
Last year

Coaches using social media

For the coaches out there and the DOCs, make sure you and your people are not contacting their student basketballers through social media. It is not appropriate and if you want to speak with underage kids do it at training in open or through their parents. Don't DM. Just not on. Basketball Victoria should be very strong on this and send a message, and ensure that their own coaches do not do this and their associations ensure that their coaches do not do this. Simple. I know you follow this and so this is an ask.

Also, anyone involved in Basketball Victoria or Basketball Australia should not post their views on this or other social media about youth basketballers. There are enough avenues for appropriate discussion about kids and this is not it.

Topic #51023 | Report this topic

LHY  
Last year

Generally agree but I've noticed you seem to be okay with a bit of conjecture around selections in junior teams.

"Discussion amongst coaches on weekend was about how the selections were a bit wonky, but this is all subjective of course and coaches will always back their people."

“Heard SCC was a real disappointment, particularly for Vic, and having watched some SCC players at the w'end it surprised me. Lots of talent there who are not part of that.”

“always the case that the coaches get to shoe-horn one or more of their people in. Also the case that the noisiest parents get their kids pushed forward”

I'm sorry if you have a deserving kid who hasn't been selected but don't think we should be throwing stones in glass houses, particularly in an anonymous forum where no kid reading this can differentiate your comments from any other person (state involved or otherwise). I actually agree with most of your points, but theyre points to be made sideways or with people who can make change, not on a public anonymous forum where kids may come to believe they are only in a team because of "(nosey) parents" or coaches pushing their kids forward

Reply #915427 | Report this post

Juice  
Last year

Maybe the kids were good enough but the parents were the problem. Here' a thought, could over involved parents and overbearing coaches of the kids be costing those kids opportunities???

Reply #915438 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last year

Thanks for the tips, NEM. Of course, make sure you practice what you preach.

Reply #915448 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:31 am, Thu 16 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754