Matt Ryan
Years ago

Advice for referees before I leave...

Before I leave to go and teach in Peterborough for the next two years (at the very least), I have some advice for referees.

In life, we all have people who give us advice to set us on the right path. These words of wisdom are here for you to absorb and may educate you about a very important facet of basketball umpiring: etiquette.

If you're planning to become a referee, or if you are already one, take note. If you're not set on becoming "one of the boys", read this anyway. I feel that these can be adapted to most sports and just how to "act", in life, in general.

1) Upon entering the stadium, shake hands with your fellow referees and greet everybody associated with the event, eg. organising body, door people, stadium manager, canteen staff. There are absolutely no exceptions to this. Introduce yourself, and tell them it is nice / a pleasure / an honour to meet them.

2) Dress smartly. Show that you have a good physique (and you really should have one if you want to make it in anything associated with "fitness"), but don't look like you have an attitude about it. Looking like a professional is the first step to BEING a professional.

3) Do not "mark out" for somebody famous. The term "mark out" means to become a normal, everyday fan, someone who is out for photo opportunities, autographs and a great story to tell their friends about who they met. Show respect and reverence for their hard work to get to that level, whether it be a famous player, coach or fellow referee. When you and your partner are discussing your game, they will be watching and listening and will probably make suggestions and give you feedback on how to improve your game. If you are umpiring with a referee above your level, listen to what they tell you first. When they ask for your opinion, give it. If they reject it, continue to listen to them and do as they say. Follow their lead: they are the ones who have earned their position.

4) Do not sit or stand in a corner by yourself. Do not congregate with old friends for a long period of time. Scope out the area and see who is or is not busy. Work the room. Have a conversation, no matter how brief, with as many people as possible.

5) Always listen to everything from everyone. Always ask to ref with someone new. Work your hardest! Put the most into your own efforts  don't get ahead by dragging others down!

6) Two things to always remember: Firstly, no matter how great you think you are, there are people there that really are better than you. And secondly, the guys you see on the way up are exactly the same ones you'll see on the way back down.

7) After your game, do not ask everyone that you run into his or her opinion of your performance. You will be told in due time (quickly, in most cases) by people.

8) If your game sucked, don't come back to the Officials' Room acting like the world is about to end and throw a temper tantrum. That is petty. If it was a great performance, act humble when given praise. Thank anyone for praise and criticism they may give you. If you feel like your partner screwed the game up, keep it to yourself forever. The people in charge will always know where the fault lies.

9) Upon leaving, try your best to again shake hands with everybody before you leave. Compliment the other refs on their matches (whether good or not). Thank your partner for your game. If he/she "put you over" and made you standout and do one of your best performances, you should have thanked them the second the game had ended.

10) If you are the victim of a "rib" or a "prank", or get "ridden": You are probably going to get ribbed on by one or more people. Do not take yourself seriously. It is all in good fun, unless you have done something to violate Rules 1  9 during the event and are a marked man/woman. Some of the people that "rib" or "ride" you the hardest may end up being your closest allies when it really counts.

Once again, if you're planning to become a referee, or if you are already one, take note. If you're not set on becoming "one of the boys", read this anyway. I feel that these can be adapted to most sports and just how to "act", in life, in general.

Topic #9628 | Report this topic

billo  
Years ago

Note to self, if Matt Ryan tells you you've reffed a good game don't necessarily believe him.

Reply #109587 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Is there theme music to acompany the above acts Matt?

Reply #109596 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

WTF? Matt's been watching Jerry Maguire. I hope you didn't circulate this as a memo.....

Reply #109599 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Yeah, it's called 'never ending story'.

Reply #109600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"one of the boys"

Thats a bit sexest isnt it

Reply #109601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very full on post. I think its good advice that can apply to everyone whether they are referees or not. However there are referees out there that really do need to listen to this advice. Good luck Matt, never really met ya but you seem like a good guy.

Reply #109606 | Report this post

You know who I am  
Years ago

Gday Matt
Nice speach - All the best for your future. It certainly is great to see a young guy like yourself thinking about all these extra things which make a "good ref" become a "great ref"

You will go far

I will miss the gum - Bitch!!

Reply #109608 | Report this post

Punting Baxter  
Years ago

Matt great speech but your the one that still needs to drive to burra for us to catch up for a beer.

Reply #109612 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Matt, next time just shut up. You had me at "before".

Reply #109719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a friend of "You know who I am" ...

I agree - Matty, good post.

Good luck with the teaching gig!

You were never my bitch for anything.

G'bye mate!

Reply #109743 | Report this post

wow...is all of this contained in a book somewhere?

Seems the same guy who wrote that one i found in my hotel room.

Reply #109903 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:37 am, Sun 19 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754