Larry
Years ago

Heal weighs up Dragons captaincy

FOUR-TIME Olympian Shane Heal could end a two-year retirement to become the South Dragons' first captain.

Full story here

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18328459%255E10914,00.html

(sorry don't know how to do a link)

Topic #6409 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

They know how to get in the papers, eh? Next up, they start talking to Luc Longley as a potential starting centre, and Mark Davis and James Crawford as the rest of their front court.

Is D-Mac leading a resurgence for elderly point guards in Australian basketball?

Reply #72052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont think 36 is that amazingly old for l;ike a 2 year stint... i just hope they keep him out of the boomers.... he never passes.

Reply #72069 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

things just get better all the time don't they!

Reply #72083 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

Heal could still easily be the premiere PG in the league next season...age is no barrier...D-Mac has proven that.

Reply #72085 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

I hope Heal comes back, he doesnt like Black, and that will casuse havoc, alongside the fact Carfino and Casey have another love child back in the league!

Cant wait to boo him!

Reply #72097 | Report this post

crudeboy  
Years ago

hehe - typical Heal Quote in this article

".....I wouldn't come back unless I felt I could be the best player in my position in the league."

What a Tosser!

Reply #72098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shouldn't be too hard. Of the Australian PG's, with Bruton leaving the NBL, it would really just be down to Heal or DMac. Remember the guy didn't retire because of any physical limitations and was probably at his best in his last season as a King.

Reply #72123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maher?

Reply #72166 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

where is bruton going? did i miss something?

Reply #72168 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In the lead up to the 05/06 season, Bruton was offered a lucrative two-year contract with a Russian club. He had, however, already committed to a three year deal with Sydney. At one stage it looked like Bruton would break that contract Markovic-style and head abroad. I think he and the Kings came to an arrangement whereby he would play out the season, and then they would release him to take up the gig in Russia.

A conspiracy theorist (read: Nino) wondered the other day if CJ might have choked in the series against Melbourne so as to finish up and get over there sooner... haha.

Reply #72169 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon. #72069

Not sure if your "he never passes" comment was tongue in cheek but if it ain't its just plain dumb.

I saw Heal lead Australia in all three games of the Oceania series in 2003 and it was one of the most complete performances by a point guard I have ever witnessed. The New Zealand Coach, Tab Baldwin, said much the same after the series.

Great point guards know when to pass and when not to; by the last three years of his career, Heal's decision making in this respect was simply fantastic, and I've never been a great fan of him on the court.

Don't confuse what you don't like about a player with what they do on court.

Reply #72188 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Heal was/is good value for the league and is a crowd puller, no matter if you love him or hate him you'll go watch him play.

Once again the Dragons are getting all over the media.

Reply #72189 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Reports in todays news say Heal is now more than 50% sure of signing on a 1 year contract. Frank Drmic is also on their radar too.

Reply #72190 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There was a rumour on OzHoops of Drmic being in the sights of Perth too.

Reply #72193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane Heal have to sell off his share of the Sydney Kings if he wants to play with the Dragons.

Reply #72195 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

why would he have to sell of his share to play with dragons?

Reply #72198 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Could be a conflict of interest there?
Especially if he plays the Kings. Finacially it would be better for the Kings to win.

Reply #72201 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

hmm still dont think it would be and issue, but i could be wrong but i know a couple soccer players who have financial interest in opposing teams in the a league and they could do it.

i guess it would be a league thing to decide if it was a conflict or not

Reply #72207 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

My mate goes with the example -

If you were a jockey who owned a race horse but you were riding a different horse against yours in a race.

Would you want to win and take your 10% cut?
or
the winning or would you want your horse to win and take a 70% cut?

Quite extreme difference with basketball I know, but you catch my drift.

Reply #72208 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

HO, you obivously didnt watch any of the athens olympic's basketball.....

Reply #72212 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:44 pm, Sun 19 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754