wak
Years ago

Adelaide coaches... where are they now?

Whatever happended to Ken Cole, John Wright, Dave Claxton, the guy that cut Al Green (rat sinking a leaving ship?), Don Molsen?

We all know where Fox is!

Topic #6337 | Report this topic

wak  
Years ago

To add to that, seeing as there's a bit of talk re Smyth, who was the best coach for the Sixers in their entire history?

Reply #71382 | Report this post

Cole - living in the San Diego, still working his own business

Monson - retired, living in Spokane, Washington I think. He must be 70-odd by now. His son is still coaching college ball

The gut who cut Al Green was Don Shipway - currently coaching South juniors and running a sports apparell store

Not sure who John Wright is.

My pick for best coach is Cole, but if the club was nominating its greatest ever coach, it would be Smyth unanimously - 3 championships speak for themselves.

Reply #71388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

john wright works as a dupervisor on game nights at the dome

Reply #71389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thats supervisor

Reply #71390 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

The Sixers side Ken Cole won the championship with in 1986 was light year ahead of where the rest of the competition and like things the Sixers management had there hands in, screwed up a dynasty. That side made him look like a much better coach that what he actually was, he didn't do squat with Newcastle falcons squad he had in the early 1990's, remember he coached there after his Sixers contract was terminated.

The most successful and overall best coach the Sixers have ever had would have to be Phil Smyth, even if some so won't admit it. The most knowledgeable coach would have been Mike Dunlap but he like every other person walking the earth had his floors and difficulties dealing with players who would not transform to his system.

Steve Smith (the Assistant who came over with Dunlap) was a top guy and a very good coach in his own right; he went back to the states to become an assistant at UCLA with Steve Lavin.

Albert Lesley has been an international traveller in the last few months, well his daughter anyway.

Reply #71404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The assistant was actually Steve Spencer and your description of him doesn't fit with anyone that actually played for him!

Reply #71407 | Report this post

Fresh  
Years ago

Steve Spencer was a fustrated assistant. So when he coached for North he waz a bit crazy, but I did think he was a nice guy

Smyth has the best record but does that mean he is the best coach?

my pick would be Steve B!!!!

or Ken Kole

It would be interesting to know what some ex players thought like Scott Ninnis / Mike Mckay??

Reply #71410 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you search around, there is actually an interesting post on this very forum from Ken Cole himself.

Reply #71414 | Report this post

Fresh  
Years ago

Reading between the lines is he saying that had he not been sacked they would have continued to win Championships???

I guess we will never know?

Didnt Cole get sacked for not setting the best example? Smoking dope in the change rooms after the game?
maybe he should take some responsability?

Reply #71416 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:35 pm, Sun 19 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754