M&M
Last month

Vic suburbs vjbl girls program

Hi everyone,

I'm after some feedback regarding Keilors girls program and if anyone has had any experience with this? Ive been told They run a great program there but also very political and concerns over culture. I've heard this from multiple people I've spoken to. hoping it's not true as it's our preferred destination.
My daughter is an under 12s player going to 14s next season and is a great player, we are looking for her to join a bigger club in the West as that's where we are situated so looking at all different options as we know 14s is when it stsrts to get a bit more serious. Any advice would be great. I'm not looking at bagging a club I'm just trying to make an informed decision as culture is huge to us as is the basketball program. Appreciate any insights.

Topic #51951 | Report this topic

Asthetic  
Last month

I've been involved in 3x VJBL clubs now over the past eleven years or so.
There are politics everywhere. Its just the levels that vary.
Not sure how "great" a player your daughter is, but the culture at Broadmeadows just up the road from Keilor is great.

Reply #940646 | Report this post

+  
Last month

best to look and ask around, ask persons of your demographic - and identify what you want. And ask your child what they are looking for. Always remember that things may change annually at clubs with new comings and goings - so it may always change. My recent dealings with junior basketball (not in melb) is people will go and do what they want - we're old school with loyalty, regular training and support but clearly it's no longer a value. Clubs seem to want the over confident junior player that will try to score 40 points per game - no team values that we experienced - no longer our scene.

Reply #940648 | Report this post

LC  
Last month

As someone with daughters playing in VJBL at VC level, as an outsider looking on, Keilor's program is definitely on the rise and heading in the right direction.

There are politics at every club.

If Keilor is the closest 'large' Association, then I would suggest you check it out.

Have a look at their current U12 and U14 teams to see where they are level-wise and why don't you walk in on Sunday morning training sessions and check things out for yourself?

Reply #940649 | Report this post

SlowMoMitch  
Last month

Try out in different clubs as much as schedule permits next year. Considering which team your daughter lands in after the trials can also be a factor.

Reply #940655 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Last month

Similar to LC, as an outsider, I'm very impressed with their U14 boys program this year. Two years ago in U12's, they didn't qualify for VC, now they have both their 1's and 2's making VC, and seems built from within (minimal transfers), so that says they're doing something right in junior development.

One final comment, do your research face to face, go and watch their trainings, go see some games. Learn a lot about coaching culture if you watch for yourself.

Reply #940660 | Report this post

Mr. Cesp  
Last month

Keilor run a great program.

They get plenty of assistance with transfers from weaker/smaller clubs in the area though.

Reply #940685 | Report this post

It's a good program. Great girls pathway there.
Politics in every club, but really; often those complaining of politics are on the wrong side of a decision that didn’t suit their own story. Obviously not always true, but I’ve not heard anything bad’ about that program. Especially this year with a few excellent ins coaching wise.

Reply #941004 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:02 am, Sat 4 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754