word14
Last month

Silverdome

Larry Kestelman has said that some serious work is going to need to go into the Silverdome this offseason if the JJs want to continue playing 2 games a season there.

"The Silverdome is not a venue that is currently fit for purpose, even for the two NBL games that we have. So we definitely have a few problems to solve. There will definitely need to be investment in the Silverdome for games to continue in the North. It's the government's commitment to improve the venue so we can continue playing here. I don't think it's currently on the cards for us not to come here because the government has committed to do what's needed to bring the Silverdome up to NBL standard so we'll work with the government to make sure that happens."

Topic #51935 | Report this topic

AussiePride  
Last month

Loosen up the hoops at the stadium and it improves 50%

Reply #940030 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

That's not what LK wants loosened.

Reply #940031 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last month

Hoops are shit in Tassie. Don't understand why the rims aren’t made the same at every venue. Improve the rims will at least make those’s games watchable.

Reply #940032 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

100% agree, the rims have made a few games there almost unwatchable. Remember Tassie's 66-62 win there over NZ back in NBL22? Both teams barely shot 30% from the field, and under 15% from 3.

Reply #940037 | Report this post

WC95  
Last month

I don't think the rims are their main concern.

Reply #940051 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

I'm sure they're not but wouldn't complain if they replaced them anyway if their going to improve the whole arena.

Reply #940053 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Remember Tassie's 66-62 win there over NZ back in NBL22? Both teams barely shot 30% from the field, and under 15% from 3.

That was nasty and it didn't help that both teams weren't regular tenants of the venue so no one was used to them.

I'm getting flashbacks of the State Sports Centre in Sydney where the Razorbacks used to play for all-time hardest NBL rims.

Reply #940082 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

While I understand the need for investment into the silverdome and JJ high performance centre as a Tasmanian believe strongly that there should be investment into courts in the community first.

There needs to be homes for basketball across the state, kids currently have no where to play in Tasmania; demand is there but no courts.

Reply #940562 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Scout as a fellow Tasmanian I 100% agree, we need more courts and we need them asap.

Reply #940563 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last month

That $750 million (& counting) to gift the AFL a stadium would have paid for a lot of courts!

Reply #940565 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last month

Except the stadium has multiple funders, it will be owned by Tasmania, it will be a tool to bring visitors into the state, and the AFL team/stadium is initially bringing about $660 million worth of funding in Tas that wouldn't otherwise be coming.

Reply #940566 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last month

Agree with Scout, investment in local courts should be ahead of the Silverdome. Perhaps any work there should include additional community courts?

The JJ high performance centre development goes hand-in-hand with new community courts so should address both issues at the same time.

Reply #940567 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:39 am, Sat 4 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754