NBLTigers
Last year

Ariel Hukporti will return

As a Melbourne United Member, we wanted you to be the first to hear that Next Star Ariel Hukporti will return to the court for the NBL24 season in a Melbourne United uniform.

One of the most exciting and impactful players to ever come through the Next Star program, Hukporti's return is sure to thrill United Members.

The Togolese-German skyscraper finished his debut season in the NBL as the league leader in defensive rating, and became the only player to ever average over a block per game before their 20th birthday.
We will be sharing the exciting news with all fans via our website and social media very soon.

Topic #51012 | Report this topic

Yup  
Last year

Love this kid, I'm assuming this is the 3rd year as a next star?

Reply #915019 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Last year

Would be great if there were some clearly understood, and published, rules around the Next Star program.

Reply #915020 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

This will be his second year as a Next Star because he wasn't on the active roster last season.

Reply #915021 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

This will be his 3rd year as a NS, playing isn't relevant. I don't think anyone begrudges the NBL bending the rules a bit for this young guy after doing his achilles in a pre-season game but it's yet another example of the NBL changing rules on the fly.

I did say at the time of the injury I hoped the NBL allowed him to come back for a third year as a NS even though they're only two year contracts.

Reply #915022 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Being on the active roster is relevant. He wasn't, so he wasn't considered an NBL player last season.

Reply #915026 | Report this post

Jonno  
Last year

Its basically the same as the NCAA red shirt rule, given he missed the entire season I think its perfectly fine for him to return as a Next Star

Reply #915027 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Exactly, this is like redshirting, there's nothing to see here.

Reply #915032 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

United roster

Hukporti
Cg43
Ili
Flynn Cameron

Rumoured/potentials:

JLA
Marcus Lee
Luke Travers
Bannan (NCAA)

Likely headed elsewhere:

Peatling
Humphries
Barlow (retire?)

Reply #915035 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Being on the active roster is relevant. He wasn't, so he wasn't considered an NBL player last season.

Sure he wasn't on the roster no one is debating that but it's like saying Ben Simmons wasn't in the NBA when he missed all of his first season due to injury. He was still an NBA player, being paid his contract and that was the first year of his contract eaten up.

Hukporti was in the second year of his two-year NS contract last season still being paid by the NBL, playing or out injured is irrelevant, the club or in this case the league still has to pay the player as normal.

No one is saying this a travesty or anything but clearly the rules are being bent a bit as his two-year NS contract has now finished. Obviously the NBL are allowing United to re-sign him for another year, counting as a NS rather than an import with the NBL no doubt picking up the tab.

Reply #915037 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

NS rules are in a constant state of flux... I'm OK with it in this instance (and pretty much every other tweak/change made on the fly to it since it came in) and happy Hukporti will be playing again as he's one of the most exciting players in the league, but I hope the NBL was transparent about the tweak to the rules here.

Reply #915042 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Sorry Zodiac, you may wish it to be the case but Hukporti wasn't named on an active roster last season and therefore wasn't considered an active player by the NBL. This will be considered his second season by the league.

Reply #915043 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Sorry Anon your argument got skewered by my last post hence why you couldn't address the Ben Simmons point. I've already said no doubt the NBL will be allowing him to play as a NS next season rather than as an import which should technically be the case as his 2 year NS contract has now ended.

Reply #915049 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

The NBA comparison is meaningless I'm afraid Zodiac, they don't have import or next star restrictions. Justin Robinson was still being paid by the Hawks last season but he was removed from the active roster and wasn't an NBL player, allowing the Hawks three import spots.

Hukporti was removed from the active roster before the season started, meaning he took no part in NBL23 and that NBL24 will be his second season. That is how the NBL roster rules operate.

Reply #915053 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Last year

Zodiac is correct. If he was paid as a next star despite not hitting the court then that counts. His 2 years are up but the NBL will turn a blind eye cos that's what they do. Bit like making Louzada a NS after he had already been drafted by the NBA. The NS rules seem to be a guideline only.

Reply #915054 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

You've missed the point, willfully it appears so no point in discussing it further.

Reply #915055 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

The kid deserves a second season, next star rules should be flexible for the benefit of nbl.

Reply #915056 | Report this post

Jonno  
Last year

From memory despite being under contract and paid for his first season Ben Simmons his 2nd season, the first one he actually played in, was considered his rookie season. I remember Donovan Mitchell making comments about him being the real rookie of the year, being an actual rookie. So this actually stacks up with Hukporti keeping his next star eligibility for his 2nd year of playing.

So in similar fashion, this coming season would be considered Hukporti's 2nd season for United, also similar to the NCAA's red shirt rule allowing players to play an extra year of eligibility if they miss an entire season

To me this is the correct decision to let Hukporti play as a Next Star

Reply #915057 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

That's right it's not even a debate player contracts do not enter into some state of suspended animation due to a season ending injury prior to the season starting. Were the NBL not paying him his NS contract this past season? Of course they were, he needs to pay rent, pay bills, buy food. Injuries are irrelevant.

Anon knows this he's not an imbecile but he won't back down and admit the NBL are fudging the rules a bit here even though most of us are sympathetic to the player and willing to turn a blind eye to him being a NS again next season rather than the import he technically should be.

Reply #915058 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

From memory despite being under contract and paid for his first season Ben Simmons his 2nd season, the first one he actually played in, was considered his rookie season.

Of course he kept his 'rookie' eligibility the following year given he never played a game but that first season with the 76ers was still the first year of his contract, his rookie season was Year 2 of his contract.

Reply #915059 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Last year

So I guess they can give a DP an extra year now if they injure themselves???
Won't happen. Hukporti should be an import now end of story. I remember Gleeson eluding to the rubbery NS rules before he left. That is a massive advantage for Melbourne.

Reply #915063 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"You've missed the point, willfully it appears so no point in discussing it further."

The point in simple, Hukporti has played one season as a Next Star, and hence is eligible for his second season in NBL24.

One thing I was wrong about was the NBA comparison being meaningless. Turns out Ben Simmons was still considered a first-year player after missing an entire season, the same way Hukporti will be considered a second-year Next Star in NBL24.

Reply #915064 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

If you're injured before the season and removed from the active roster, why should that season count?

The fact that you were paid has no relevance. It's like in the NBA (another NBA example) legacy contracts are paid out despite the player being moved on or bought out or retiring. Those players are getting paid by their clubs, it doesn't mean they're still an active member of the team.

What matters is whether you're on the roster. Hukporti clearly wasn't. Simple.

Reply #915076 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

No different to red shirting in NCAA. Plus the Simmons example.

Plenty of examples, it's a fairly clear issue. If he'd been injured during the season, different scenario. The fact he was injured during the blitz and immediately taken off the active roster for the season makes this very straightforward.

Reply #915077 | Report this post

Jonno  
Last year

Exactly, last year was a red shirt year, this is his 2nd next stars year,

Its happening whether people like it or not, which I have no problem with.

Reply #915078 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Mojave King had 2 next star years didn't he?

Reply #915081 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

No one is saying Hukporti can't return.

Can't we have the best of both and have him return as an import and preserve the NS integrity?

Reply #915115 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

If you're injured before the season and removed from the active roster, why should that season count?

That's right, it's not even a debate.

The injury occurring in the pre-season makes this instance so cut and dry.

Who knew the word 'inactive' was so hard to comprehend?

Reply #915198 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

It comes down to whether his Next Star status is part of his contract, and therefor expired when the second year ran out last season, or part of his roster status, in which case it holds over.

Reply #915201 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

What if he identifies as a Next Star thus ruling out if it was part of his contract, second year or not.

Reply #915204 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

What if you stopped being a bigot?

Reply #915205 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

It comes down to whether his Next Star status is part of his contract, and therefor expired when the second year ran out last season, or part of his roster status, in which case it holds over.

Yes and this is what makes for a good discussion, rather than those who obtusely believe that "it's not even a debate".

Reply #915207 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"It comes down to whether his Next Star status is part of his contract, and therefor expired when the second year ran out last season, or part of his roster status, in which case it holds over."

The league have already answered that question.

Reply #915210 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

How am I being a bigot, why cant he identify as a Next Star? If he truly feels that his injury year shouldn't be used as fact in terms of definition of a Next Star, then he/they have the right to identify as a Next Star. Perfectly logical as well as other things.
Or are you discriminating against someone's right to identify with what has been defined?

Reply #915214 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

You can't say bigoted things and then be surprised when people call you a bigot.

Reply #915215 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

People aren't calling me a bigot, just you. Why so upset, I'm agreeing with you.
If Jerome Randall wants to return to the league and now identifies as a 17 year old boy, he has the right to apply to be a Next Star. If he has the mind of a late teenager, just because his birth certificate says otherwise, he shouldn't be discriminated against. Basketball Australia should talk to the NBL and make the allowance for Jerome to return as a Next Star, makes complete sense and logic. It won't be hurting anyone because physically he may be a bit stronger than a 17 year old, but definitely won't have a major physical advantage against those who were born female.
It's win win brother, or sister, or whatever you identify as. I'm a bit hurt that your words are making me a bit sad. I hope you realise I'm on your side, allow those that don't have a voice be heard. Stop the stupid ageism argument, you're only as old as you feel is quite a well known saying. Let society formally adopt it as a legal entity.
We'll keep fighting the good fight against these ignorant people!!!

Reply #915218 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Take your transphobia elsewhere.

Reply #915219 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

A few frisbees short of a playground

Reply #915224 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

It's possible that Next Star status could be tied to contract instead of roster status, but that would be an unusual and ridiculous methodology to apply which would be counter productive to the goals of the next star program.

And counter to all the NBA precedents discussed above ie NCAA, ROY etc

Reply #915230 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:30 am, Sun 19 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754