Camel 31
Two years ago

Melbourne United v Adelaide 36ers

Melbourne in Melbourne will be hard to win, but 36ers might.
36ers players will get more shots up without Randall.
DJ might get twenty. I think this might be a big game from Cleveland.

Topic #50608 | Report this topic

LV  
Two years ago

Not sure 36ers have the defensive chops to shut United down like others have

I'd expect a high scoring, close game.

I was pretty sure United was going to win this, until I heard Ili's out again. Now Adelaide probably have the slight edge.

Reply #904420 | Report this post

Gazee  
Two years ago

If you listen to the fila fan bois , now crocodile Randall is gone Kai deserved 40 minutes and will score 30 , 20 reb 20 blks and 10 steals and single handedly destroy united /s

Reply #904421 | Report this post

Gazee  
Two years ago

Seriously though I think it will allow Franks DJ and AC to work more effectively and efficiently, and I'm not against Kai getting 15-20 mins either to see how he goes in extended periods , but I think humphries will monster him in the post

I also want to commend the forum members on how respectful the comments have been towards Isaac humphries , especially compared to the homophobia that’s happening on nbl Facebook and other sporting Facebook groups , well done hoops members

Reply #904423 | Report this post

Gazee  
Two years ago

Actually I take that back I've just read some of the crap on the other post

Reply #904424 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

I wouldn't take that back at all. There is one poster who is stubborn in his view that "coming out" is no longer courageous or newsworthy for an elite sportsperson. Most others obviously disgree with that view, but I think the conversation has been pretty respectful and certainly not homophobic.

Reply #904427 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

There's nothing more relieving, in terms of the fixture list, than returning from an international window.

Reply #904434 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

United without Illi, Mccaron wanting to show Vickerman he should have paid him what he wanted. Should be a fun game, I think Sixers can get this by a few.

Reply #904435 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

I think Humphries may have a big game in this one but as LV said Ili is a massive out for United.

Reply #904443 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Humphries will likely have a huge game not just because of his announcement but for a number of years now opposition bigs do tend to have a big games against the Sixers, hello DJ.

I would pencil Humphries in for 20+ but I expect now with Randall gone the Sixers should win.

Reply #904447 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

I'm very concerned about Ili. Missed over a month with concussion to start the season, played one or two games and now back out with concussion? I'd be very seriously contemplating immediate retirement if I were him.

Reply #904449 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

At least he's set a bit with the 2 year extension United gave him before the season. If you know you're under contract until 2025 it's probably a bit early to be contemplating retirement but yes very concerning he's back out again so quickly.

Reply #904451 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Yeah no doubt Ili's career is sitting on a precipice right now. Very concerning.

Plenty of footy players have retired over concussion issues in recent years. And sometimes it's just one episode that ultimately leads to the end. Once it's 2-3 months after the initial concussion and symptoms keep returning, it's getting to a crucial point.

Reply #904456 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I remember Delly had some bad concussion issues in his last season with the Cavs. I think he got a bad concussion in an early pre-season game and it put him out until around mid-season. He came back then didn't seem to have too many problems last season with United and is now back in the NBA this season so plenty of time for Ili yet.

Reply #904459 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Sixers by 5@1/4. Sixers started well, United got back into it. Gibson is good on commentary, calls it as he sees it.

Reply #904478 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Two years ago

Was Danii Minogue one of those artist who participated in the "Imagine" project that went viral mid 2020?

Reply #904479 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Adelaide by one, who ever comes out and plays a bit D should prevail.

Reply #904480 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Two years ago

Oh Goulding is knocked out.

Reply #904481 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Two years ago

McCarron deliberately walk over a concussed Goulding and tap him in the head with his foot??

Reply #904482 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

Kai been training with Kareem ?

Gibbo been on the bong?

Reply #904483 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Two years ago

I can't understand the five Vickerman just had on. Also 1 point to 13 and no timeout?

Reply #904484 | Report this post

Driver8  
Two years ago

Does anyone else always just assume Goulding is faking it?

Reply #904485 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Sixers by ten, play some decent D they should win this. Sotto has talent, he needs a quality big man training him just to get his positioning and box outs better. It looked like cj was getting into Johnson when he subbed him.

Reply #904486 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Tucker time.

Reply #904487 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Two years ago

Good to see CG back on the bench. Did not look good at all initially.

Reply #904488 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Two years ago

Goulding is apparently ok to come back on. It's like the little boy that cried wolf. Who stuck their finger up his arse a few weeks ago?

Reply #904489 | Report this post

Driver8  
Two years ago

Goulding back on lol.
He honestly carried on like he was out cold

Reply #904490 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Two years ago

Will never understand why United signed XRM. He's not a winning player

Reply #904491 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Two years ago

Even after all the replays, I still don't see how that was out off Adelaide

Reply #904492 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Two years ago

Why would United not go to Tucker to tie the game. Oh that's right the genius that is XRM

Reply #904493 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Two years ago

Either Goulding wasn't concussed or the doctors decided to ignore any concussion protocols.

Perhaps a bit of exaggeration on bubbles behalf

Reply #904494 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Excellent game, Franks and Mccaron excellent for Sixers. A few of the decisions were hard to understand, the best side won in the end.
Let's hope that Goulding isn’t the boy who cried wolf.

Reply #904495 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Seemed to me like Goulding was trying to stop the fastbreak by drawing a foul on Cleveland, and then just decided to roleplay it from there.

Reply #904496 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

Bubbles has been a very emotional little boy throughout his career, known for exaggerating a little every now and then. He doesn't just cry "wolf", he cries a herd of f...ing elephants.

It works for him at NBL level, so I can understand him milking it while he can.

Reply #904497 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Ok I don't think 36ers need to "figure out" what the team needs. It’s obvious af.

CJ this is what you do:
#1 Go to Cam Bairstows house and get on your knees and beg him to return.
If you succeed then you can sign your import point guard, go into luxury tax and get rid of acouth or something.

If you fail, then:
#2 Look all over the world leaving no stone unturned to find an interior defensive C.

An import guard won’t solve their defensive issues, they’re the worst defensive team in the league and defence wins championships. If they don’t get defensive improvement in the interior, it won’t matter how much they’ve spent on talent, they won’t win the championship.

So, then how do you deal with the awkwardness of Franks, DJ, Sotto?

Make DJ an exclusive 4, move him to the bench. Make a more concerted effort to get him opportunities.

Franks becomes a 3/4 because he can actually defend at 3 and will play some time with DJ regardless.

MM and Dech are the PGs, don’t make Cleveland bring the ball up ffs.

If you fail, then:
# Tell everyone you looked for a defensive big and couldn’t find a good enough one that’s affordable.

Start Sotto at C, play him 25mpg and hope for the best.
Play Franks at 3/4
Play traps with Cleveland and Dech on and hope it totally puts teams out of whack. Turn it into jungle ball.

Those are your possible solutions. Let me know who to send the check too.

Reply #904512 | Report this post

Bored  
Two years ago

Absolute theatre by CG. Went down too easy then realised he had to ham it up or the flop stuff would kick back up again. Chose that over getting straight up and not missing a critical period in the game. Shame

Reply #904517 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

36ers are 2-0 without Randall, 2-4 with.

Although they can also be said to play better away...

Reply #904522 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Jordon Caroline joining Manresa, team that United just got there new man from, straight swap. Lol.

Reply #904528 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Manresa also receive a future second round pick.

Reply #904539 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two years ago

I pretty much agree with that KET. They've gotta throw Kai in the deep end a bit and hope he works it out. Had improved the last couple of games before the international break, but regressed defensively in last nights game again.

Exhibit A when Peatling drew that foul from him under the basket because he brought his arms down. All he had to do was stand straight up, wait for Peatling to release it and swat the sh!t out of it! So frustrating, because he was doing a better job of that in recent games.

Someone said CJ got stuck into DJ at one point? I reckon that might have had a good effect, because he actually took a foul to stop Humphries scoring late in the game, instead of just handing him the two! Thought DJ played hard in the first quarter but then didn't sustain it. If CJ is able to fire him up with some tough love at times, it will help the team a lot!

One last thing, HOW did the refs review that 'charge' on Cleveland where he got his 4th foul and not overturn the call?! Tucker was nowhere near in position on that play!

Reply #904554 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

@Beantown,
100% on exhibit a, this is why I believe he needs some individual coaching by a retired quality big, also his positioning isn't right at times. He should have seen the court in the last 1/4 as well.
100% on the Cleveland foul as well, refs will say Cleveland dropped his shoulder, yes slightly as a natural body protection, which he would not have done if Tucker had not moved in front of him and was still moving. The refs get this call so wrong in a lot games, unsure just play on, don’t make the call up.

Reply #904557 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Why does everyone keep throwing out "he was still moving". You're allowed to be moving, you don’t have to be stationary to draw a charge.

Reply #904559 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Two years ago

What are people's thoughts on the decision by the officials to give Melbourne the ball when Tucker dislodged the ball from Drmic's grip on the drive? From the telecast it looked like Tucker was last to touch the ball.

Also, fair to say Melbourne were not disadvantaged by the officials in last night's game and Adelaide had good reason to complain to the NBL had it lost?

Oh, and like a previous thread, can anyone recall when a coach's review was successful. I don't think I have seen a successful review yet and figure it's just a waste of time (especially in CJ's case!)

Reply #904561 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Last I saw was Tasmania v Brisbane. Doyle fouled out and Roth challenged and was successful

Reply #904563 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

100% Agree BT, I got frustrated at the TV when Sotto didn't just keep his hands up.

Also agree that it’s annoying the Tucker call was upheld, it really didn’t look like a charge. And then as Big Ads pointed out, why the hell was the ball considered out on Drmic?

It’s sad when commentators go looks like it’s x when seeing the replays and it ends up being y. Then everyone is like ....

NBL needs to get it together with the amateur reffing, it’s across the board stuff from games across all teams.

Some might say that it’s easy to make judgment calls when you’re not there and you don’t have replays at your disposal, but it looks like they’re screwing up the calls after seeing the replays too!

Reply #904567 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Got to give credit where credit is due as beating United in Melbourne is always a struggle, but I still don't think Adelaide are challengers right now. Lots of work to do.

Reply #904570 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"100% Agree BT, I got frustrated at the TV when Sotto didn't just keep his hands up."

Me too, I don't even barrack for Adelaide!

Reply #904572 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Remember the rule (supposedly) is there must be conclusive evidence to overturn a call.

Reply #904573 | Report this post

Knowall  
Two years ago

There is another unwritten rule. Keep competition tight and close so spectators remain interested

Reply #904575 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:06 pm, Sat 18 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754