NBLTigers
Two years ago

2023 NBL Cup suggestion

If anyone knows the NBL CEO (Jeremy) or any other officials could you please pass on my idea to them.

I'm a big advocate of a Domestic cup competition like the NBL Cup and European competitions. I’ve been hearing from some people that the nbl fixtures are uneven like how United played Sydney 3 times in the early of part of 2021 and 2022 etc. A solution I thought of is to have a balanced fixture from Oct to Dec.

Every NBL team plays each team once at home and once away till mid-Dec (part of the regular season). These’s games are still part of the normal season but the games are put into a separate Cup ladder.

The top-2 teams in mid-Dec (before Christmas) will play in the NBL Cup final. Bit like what the WNBA do in the states.

Any thoughts guys?

Note* Shame they already released the disjointed fixtures for NBL22 because this idea can only happen till NBL23.

Topic #50529 | Report this topic

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

He's coming to my house for a Sunday roast. He's a top bloke, always keen to hear new ideas how to make the league better, will let him know and get back to you.

Reply #902118 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Thanks Frisbee14, enjoy your roast with him.

Going forward I feel it's a good idea for the league, especially having a final right before Christmas.

Would be interesting to see which teams are the most consistent in a balanced fixture till mid-Dec.

Plus future seasons could see the NBL Cup letting international teams join the tournament, but for now keep it simple and part of the regular season so then there isn’t any major changes to the season, member pricing and attendance etc.

Reply #902122 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I think one of the toughest parts of fixturing is venue availability. You'd be hard pressed to have a balance fixture 18 games in.

Reply #902123 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Yes, I remember Jeremy saying that in one podcast.

Venue availability is the biggest killer in Australia, but I know most venues from October till December are mostly available.

18 games in 3 months does sound like a stretch so the league could consider starting in late September. I remember in previous seasons the league use to start in September when they just switched to the 40min game.

John Cain Arena isn't available in January with the Australian Open so it explains why United and Phoenix have no homes then. Nissan Arena is a strange one because I don’t understand why the Bullets played so many road games at the start.

Reply #902124 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

They won't start in September as they do not want to compete with AFL finals

Reply #902125 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

He's coming to my house for a Sunday roast. He's a top bloke, always keen to hear new ideas how to make the league better, will let him know and get back to you.

Yeah well I'm having brunch with him tomorrow so will beat you to it.

Rest assured NBLTigers this magnificent idea of yours is the first thing I raise with Jez.

Reply #902137 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:10 am, Sun 19 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754