Zodiac
Two years ago

Kai Sotto Hype Train

Kai Sotto just had a good game in the Philippines big home win over Saudi Arabia 84-46 in front of a crowd of almost 20,000 in their FIBA World Cup qualifier with 16 points, 13 rebounds and 4 blocks.

After playing two games in the August window, Sotto, who went undrafted in the 2022 NBA Rookie Draft, said he is flying back to Australia to join the Adelaide 36ers in preparation for the 2022-23 National Basketball League season.

"I'm going back to Australia tomorrow, to go back to my team, Adelaide, and we’ll go back to training," said the Filipino prodigy, who is bracing for his second NBL season with the 36ers.

https://sports.inquirer.net/475294/nbl-bound-kai-sotto-vows-to-be-better-after-solid-gilas-stint

A promising sign for the 36ers this season, I would love to see him take that next step.

Topic #50394 | Report this topic

Crackers65  
Two years ago

Yes, he is an absolute prodigy isn't he. Can’t believe no one in the NBA wanted him. Perhaps now they will take notice of him. 16 points and 13 rebounds against the might of SA is an incredible effort. And 4 blocks as well. WOW.

Reply #898126 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Why do people seem to take so much pleasure in putting Kai down?

He's definetly a talented player and we should all hope he does well. Certainly seems to mean a lot to his country.

Zodiac, could be in for a surprising year with stats like that.

Reply #898127 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Because a lot of people hyped him up as someone who would dominate the NBL and refused to listen to the multitude of people actually familiar with the NBL that said he wasn't up to that standard, and it got really annoying.

Reply #898128 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

"16 points and 13 rebounds against the might of SA is an incredible effort."

Master Chief, does this answer your question? "The might of SA"

Reply #898130 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Saudi Arabia only played good in the first quarter. They did better against New Zealand to be honest?

Reply #898131 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

"Why do people seem to take so much pleasure in putting Kai down?"

It has nothing to do with Kai. He's a perfectly talented prospect who has every right to believe he may, one day, make the NBA.

It has everything to do with the swarms of arrogant, low IQ Filo fans we've had to endure since he arrived.

And further on that, our issues with them have not been resolved since the Thriller in Manilla.

Reply #898132 | Report this post

Rusty  
Two years ago

^^^^^^
Hence why FIBA keep Australia and Philippines always in opposite brackets of tournaments ever since.

Reply #898136 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Two years ago

Master chief, it's not him directly, it’s his annoying and delusional fan base who need to take about 10 steps back. Their flooding of the social media posts in relation to him etc is very annoying.

Reply #898144 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Every thought they are trying to be annoying to Australia's?

Reply #898145 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Well I'm sure there was a reasonable amount of fanaticism from us before Australian players in the NBA became more regular.

Maybe even the way we refer to our own as 'snubbed' or something if a player isn't given minutes or when Giddey didn't win the rookie award or whatever it was. Just a lower level of lack of objectivity and bias maybe?

Just saying, Sotto is a legitimate talent who was a chance to get drafted, and there's nothing unreasonable or over the top about the article Zodiac posted.

I always said they needed more than Sotto as a backup if they were serious about competing, but at the same time his production could be a legit difference maker.

Reply #898150 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Also the "im not making fun of him really, im just making fun of him to make fun of his over zealous fans" doesnt really cut it.

He's a good young player and like a lot of young bigs might take a little longer to realise that, but he'll be fine.

Reply #898151 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Talent on his own won't cut it, from what I saw last season needs lots of work on core strength. Get that right and it’s game on.

Reply #898157 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

I imagine 99% of guys over 7 feet tall have strength issues in their teens and into their early 20s

Reply #898158 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I mean nobody wants Sotto to fail, especially 36ers fans that are hoping Sotto with another year under his belt can become a difference maker from the bench.

That doesn't mean the comments by some about Sotto dominating nbl isn’t annoying through sheer ridiculousness.

It’s perfectly fair to have a bit of a parochialism and bubble mentality - no doubt Aussies had that back in the day before so many ended up there. However, I think Aussies just believe our Aussies punch above their weight and are underestimated a little at times - and that’s been proven a bit. That’s no-where near as disproportionate as a lot of the Sotto stuff is.

Would love to see him make the NBA and do well - all power to him and he comes across as a very respectable young man. But I think it might take a little bit of time to be NBA ready.

Reply #898160 | Report this post

Statman84  
Two years ago

Yep, it definitely is not Sotto himself being a d**k. He seems like a pretty decent and respectable young guy. I hope he does well and has a long and successful career.

The one-eyed, toxic fans from The Philippines are the issue. A bit more knowledge about the game itself would be a good start. Then having a more realistic expectation of Sotto, especially with him being so young.

Is he going to make the NBA? I don't think so going by what I have seen from him. But he could turn around this season, work on his weaknesses and make the next step.

I have not seen or heard any Aussie fans say they dislike him beyond the usual dislike of the opposition team. It has all been in directed towards his fans talking him up way too much.

Reply #898180 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

Once he puts on some more muscle, learns to guard the p&r effectively, and gets a good-percentage 3-point shot, then I think he might get into the NBA.

Reply #898181 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:24 pm, Mon 20 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754