ME
Years ago

First Ever GONE and Champion takeover

According to an NBL email I've just received, First Ever will no longer be the official apparel partner for the NBL, as Champion takes over.

"CHAMPION SIGNS UP AS HUNGRY JACK'S NBL ON-COURT APPAREL PARTNER

line2.jpg
The Hungry Jack’s National Basketball League (NBL) is pleased to announce the return of Champion to Australian basketball as the league’s new Official On-Court Player Apparel Partner.

Whilst the announcement marks an exciting new partnership for Champion Australia, Champion is no stranger to the basketball court, having produced the on-court NBA jerseys during the 1990s and into the 2000s.

Under the three-year agreement, Champion will design brand new team jerseys for the 2020/2021 NBL Season, along with a range of NBL club streetwear for basketball fans to enjoy.

CLICK HERE FOR PHOTOS OF PERTH PLAYERS TERRICO WHITE AND MITCH NORTON IN CHAMPION BRANDED JERSEYS

NBL Owner and Executive Chairman Larry Kestelman said: "We are thrilled to welcome Champion into the NBL family during a very exciting time for the sport.

“There’s never been a better time to join the NBL. With record attendances, a growing global audience and an incredible quality of basketball, I firmly believe the NBL is now the best league in the world outside of the NBA.

“Champion is an iconic brand and we look forward to working with them and creating something special for players and fans.

“We would also like to thank Justin Kestelman and his team at First Ever for creating an amazing apparel program and growing the category to a level that a brand like Champion is partnering with the NBL."

David Bortolussi, Group President, HanesBrands (owner of the Champion brand) said: “Australia's passion for basketball is growing rapidly and our partnership with NBL is an exciting one.

“Champion is passionate about supporting athletes to achieve their potential, from the elite level in the NBL to grassroots, we encourage everyone to 'Be your own Champion’.

“We’ve been producing Authentic American Athletic Wear since 1919 and we look forward to bringing our sport capability to the on-court apparel range for players and developing street wear for fans to enjoy.”

Earlier this year, Champion also sponsored ‘Rookie of the Year’ at the NBL’s 2020 MVP Awards, with Illawarra Hawks star recruit and highly rated NBA prospect LaMelo Ball winning the prestigious award.

Game two of Hungry Jack’s NBL Grand Final presented by MG between the Sydney Kings and Perth Wildcats will be played tomorrow night at RAC Arena. The game will be broadcast live on SBS VICELAND and ESPN from 6:30pm local/9.30pm AEDT.

Perth leads the best of five game series 1-0. Game three will be played this Sunday at Qudos Bank Arena at 5pm AEDT."

Topic #47023 | Report this topic

YaBoy  
Years ago

THIS IS AMAZING

Reply #798567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah. Try Last Ever. Thank goodness that debacle is over.

Reply #798568 | Report this post

Any danger of some actually unique or interesting designs next year?

Reply #798571 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

This is interesting to me. I actually felt First Ever were doing a good job with the NBL apparel. Sure, I thought their "Ath-wear" or whatever side-hustle was laughable, but I thought the NBL jerseys looked as good, if not better, than they ever have, with any design missteps generally being the fault of the half-assed designers the individual teams employ. I guess if this is happening it means First Ever is no longer existing. There will be no more annoying and monotonous ads on TV I guess. But let's not pretend this is the NBL "stepping up" to the point where Champion would look at them, because the NBL actually ditched Champion in the first place.

Reply #798573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please NBL incorporate Indigenous design into NBL club jerseys for next season.....and not just for a round.

NZ proudly display Maori designs on jerseys and have done for years. It's time Australian sporting franchises followed suit.

Make our Australian Basketball jerseys uniquely Australian by celebrating our Indigenous culture.

Reply #798585 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

The other owners made no money from apparel and kicked up a stink so hence once old mate's little bro got the flick it was all over.

Funny how old mates bro got the gig in the first place with no experience in this space!

Reply #798589 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"The other owners made no money from apparel and kicked up a stink so hence once old mate's little bro got the flick it was all over.
"

Or... I mean call me crazy... but the fact that Justin Kestleman went and got a plush new job a month ago as had been widely reported has a little more to do with it than the fact that your assumption that owners made no money off of apparel, which is flat out incorrect.

Reply #798596 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

First Ever was a bigger virus than COVID-19, good riddance.

Reply #798611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was always a massive gamble, part of me is disappointed as it shows that other than selling our country to the highest bidder nothing survives here.

Reply #798613 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Champion run of NBA singlets are easily my favourite!

Reply #798628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Previous Champion singlets were very ordinary.

Reply #798660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Previous Champion singlets were very ordinary.

Reply #798661 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Ask the kings how much the made on merch!

The owners made nothing off the few million in Merch sales as the margins where in the product as First ever where simply to expensive

Reply #798685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just as an aside, would strongly recommend giving the recent Beston and Greenway Podcast episode with Kings owner Paul Smith a listen (it was recorded during the semis). I know he's a love or hate character (particularly if you are from Melbourne), but it's a long, in-depth and excellent listen in regards to the business of both the Kings and the NBL in general. 10/10 informative and interesting.

Anyway, the relevance here - he did casually mention that the merchandising side of things is a "complete shit-show". So, a change up is not really surprising.

I do like a lot of the uniforms though, specifically I think they have done very well with colour - the uniforms generally do 'pop', to use the technical term.

Reply #798836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure why everyone's is getting excited. The jerseys and apparel won’t change in quality. Champion are using the same company to produce them as what M&N and First ever did. All they are doing is adding their own branding to it. Maybe some new designs but the actual quality will be the same.

Reply #798838 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Forget about the jerseys I want Cairns to play all next season in their indigenous shorts from this season, they were epic and adding more colour to a uniform which I think wont get too many complaints especially with how much we hate on the white jerseys.

Reply #798842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I thought all the various jerseys looked good.

You can hate on Smith, but he is a smart operator, but also a knob.

Reply #798886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's be real. JK's shift to a 'plush job' was only spin for him not being able to make any measure of success from FE whatsoever. LK is known for cutting bait with cost bloat ... so here we are.

Reply #798986 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Champion already being promoted on air. That was quick.

Reply #799311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Made in Same factory as FE. Willl be similar quality.

Reply #799510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Made in Same factory as FE. Willl be similar quality."
So tell us how this will be true please.

Reply #799513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do we need indigenous uniforms every round as part of usual uniform? Just design good ones, get rid of shit city ones.

Reply #799516 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:33 pm, Sat 18 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754