Jack Toft
Years ago

R6: Sixers v United

Sixers fans get their first look at "The Team Formerly Known as The Tigers" (TTFKATT) in their annual blackout game. Brock Motum makes his home court debut and with Jamar Wilson back in the team, What a game this will be!

TTFKATT should not be taken lightly. They had a great game on Wednesday. McRae is their obvious standout, but Wortho has always been a pebble in the shoe of the Sixers usually deciding not to be lazy against the Sixers and taking the opportunity to put up a good game. Considering he is a Sandgroper, he makes a great Victorian.

Motum had a great debut for the Sixers and after a week of being able to finesse the plays, I'm expecting to be dazzled. Wilson will provide some depth, but who could take anything away from Gibbo? Player of the round in R4, great game in R5, let's see a hat trick in R6.

The Blackout Game is very popular and I know this year there are plenty of singlets available. Adelaide is known as the 10 minute city so there's no excuse not to get to the game. Even if your wife is in labour, you'll still have time to duck out to cut the cord.

Everyone needs to wear black. That's not hard if your from the western suburbs. The only people wearing white should be TTFKATT and their handful of supporters.

Momentum with the Sixers who should take this. Let's Go Sixers

Topic #35894 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

This will be an awesome game.

Get down to Adelaide Arena tonight

Reply #502745 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Everyone has a dark side......

Better get there early too. Car park spots will fill fast

Reply #502752 | Report this post

alastair  
Years ago

go sixer go bilbo and mouton

Reply #502756 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Has anyone got a link to a pirate broadcast?

The one I usually use is now telling me that its blocked in my country....I'm in the same god damned city for crying out loud lol

Reply #502792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstrowsports has gone all funny too, wouldn't allow me to watch the NZ/Woll game last night or the Adel/Melb game tonight.

Keep saying I have to sign up with bet365 so I did and then they say you have to put money in the betting account or wait 24 hrs before being able to use live streaming.

Reply #502793 | Report this post

MCV  
Years ago

Can someone explain what's going on at halftime? The windsail and tent game?

Reply #502794 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Is that score I'm seeing on the FIBA Live Stats correct?

Reply #502795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep Melb up by 33

Reply #502796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

80-47

Turned out to be a good game to miss!

Reply #502797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow!!! 6ers are terrible.

Reply #502798 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Holy $hit Batman.....

Reply #502799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

95-55

OMG

Reply #502800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

101-60

Reply #502801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Final 118-79

Reply #502802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixes couldn't guard a chair! Joey needs to put a rocket up them.

Reply #502803 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Sixers terrible still. WTF's going on?

Reply #502804 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

JOey may need the rocket.....

Reply #502805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wish Marty was still around so we could blame him!! Sack Joey.

Reply #502806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

22/34 3pts That gets the win

Reply #502807 | Report this post

peterward  
Years ago

36ers are the best team in the NBL!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Reply #502810 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

That was painful to watch - except for the cold comfort in watching a clinical display by Melbourne.

Reply #502812 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

For those not at the game tonight I can provide a brief and simple summary of what went wrong for the Sixers.

The Sixers apparent strategy was to beat Melbourne by matching every 3 pointer they let Melbourne hit, emphasis on the "they" because they rarely even attempted to close out on the open shooters, with a missed free throw and/or unforced turnover.

Seriously, Melbourne were ruthless tonight and with the exception of an errant inbound pass by Wortho and the general play of Patton (pun intended), the were almost perfect.

Reply #502813 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Extremely painful game to watch tonight

Reply #502817 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

They hit more 3s (22/34) at a better percentage than we could with our feet set at the free throw line (19/35)? Wow.

Reply #502818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Besides the 3 pointers, they also score 26 points off turn overs.

Reply #502819 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

It got comical very quickly! Ive seen a lot of 6ers, games, none played out like that. They shouldve gone to a zone very early on, just to mix it. Joey had no answers, team looked flat. You just hope its a one off, and you move on. No way Melb expected to perform like that. 22 of 34 3s is off the charts. But the 6ers, didn't do a thing to stop it early and it snow balled.

Also curious why 4 of our starters were in, within the last 3 minutes of a 39 point blow out. Thats very risky coaching and not smart.

Reply #502820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The start killed us 19 to 2 is a long way back and gave Melb so much confidence.the game was very start stop so couldn't get any momentum from then on. Umpiring was interesting but really we were outclassed. 19 turnovers and 50%ft shooting didn't hurt our chances
Melbourne are deep, didn't realise how much so until tonight.
Should have played a 4:1 zone for a bit as 22 3's is ridiculous, would have been funny to see,
Got a parking ticket so that really topped off the night.

Reply #502821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey has lost the group, it is so oblivious !

Reply #502822 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

I love how the expert side line coaches, have a game winning plan after the game is over. Its a shame that these experts didn't tell us all before the game was played how they would have won.

Reply #502823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They just shot so well, combined with our bad shooting and it was horrible. Really think you just forget that game and move on, don't review it even.

Reply #502824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the team don't seem to have any swagger or attitude outside of Gibbo the last 2 weeks. I've said from the start Wilson wasn't what we needed and I wish we kept Ervin or got a similar ego type player as at least they seems to take loosing personally and have that confidence that floods to others.

Reply #502825 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Melbourne are still making shot out there right now they were simply that good tonight! Shame, because Wortho is just that god damn hateable!

Reply #502826 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

United were just the better team on the night. Their 3 point shooting was incredible and they needed asbestos gloves their hands were so hot. Hotter than most items at an Elizabeth garage sale.

Corletto was on fire. McRae was a freak, and Barlow & Chambers, I mean Barlow & Kickett, were everywhere.

Sixers just had a bad game. Wilson looked proppy first game back and there were too many passengers on the SS Sixers. The Sixers had too many turnovers and tried to play too hard. I like it when they keep it simple. When they try too hard things go wrong.

Don't get me started on the umpiring. I thought there were too many calls on either side of the ledger that just needing unexplaining. If there was a newbie to the game, they would have been scratching their head.

Reply #502827 | Report this post

Ano  
Years ago

reffing was fantastic. Raoul kersten for Prime minister or perhaps leader of the world. seriously, did he miss any fouls? very pro-Melbourne. its times like this I wonder whether refs put money on games and swing it. might seem an unethical comment but gee whiz, he sucked bad.

and I thought he was a pretty good ref. How wrong I was.

Reply #502828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Reply #502829 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Melbourne started exactly the same way Perth do with an extremely physical defense and pushing the umpires boundaries to the max. Umpires dont like to have to keep calling foul after foul on the same team as it makes them look bad. They let Melbourne get away with so many in the first half because of it. They came out in the third quarter determined to even the count up and did so. Foul count in the first half was I think 20 to 5 and finished 28-20 full time. Umpires totally lacked consistency.

Basically Melbourne monstered us right from the start and we really never got going. It may be our worst game of the season.

Interesting when they played Perth with both teams playing that way it was an extremely low scoring game ( 68-59) Fouls 13-16 Mmmmm.

Also interesting is that Melbourne have seven in their line up from 203cm to 210cm and we have three. Their point guards are 198cms. ours are 185cm to 188cm.

So can we let Wilson go please. Hes just as selfish as Ervin but not as good and way too short to be selfish in his offense. He is way too slow bringing the ball down and spends too long trying to decide what he personally can do. He is not a team first man.

Full credit to Melbourne for such a strong performance at both ends. They never took the foot off.

Reply #502831 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Very good performance by Melbourne. Exceptional shooting performance from beyond the arc! Dennis and particularly McRae were very impressive.

I wasn't happy with the starting lineup from Joey though. I thought that lineup was playing into Melbourne's hands before the game even started.

Sure enough, we didn't have the foot speed and agility to close out on all their shooters and we let Kickert and Barlow get going by giving them an age to shoot.

I thought the three bigs hurt our offence too, because we weren't able to move the ball east-west enough to get good passing angles for our bigs to get the ball deep in the paint.

Instead, we were getting Luke, etc the ball too far out and Melbourne were smart enough not to let our bigs put the ball on the floor.

Melbourne also did a great job of blitzing our pick and rolls for Gibson early on and he was just not allowed to get going.

What really annoyed me was that Joey then compounded his mistake by starting the 2nd half with the same ineffective lineup. Should've been an adjustment made IMO.

All in all, a pretty disappointing home loss for the Sixers. Lots of work for Joey to do to get the right result against Perth next week.

Reply #502832 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Sounds like the Adelaide 36ers went on a 3 hour tour and the weather started getting rough.....

Reply #502834 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Philadelphia 36ers.

Reply #502835 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

The Sixers are conceding 95 points a game....how can the team contend with such poor defence?

Reply #502836 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Who cares how many PPG they're conceding? They play at the league's highest pace, they're obviously going to give up a decent number of points. Points given up per possession is a far better measure.

Reply #502838 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Melbourne were absolutely magnificent, Townsville flogging Perth was a statement game but United were even more impressive and I was glad to see Barlow finally get going and hopefully he is ready to take the game by the scruff of the neck and not stand back and let all the other superstars in the team take his shots.

If I'm not mistaken, Perth play both these sides next week... Not sure what's worse; an angry hurting 36ers team or that near invincible United team? Should be fascinating viewing next week.

I know 36ers love their blackout game but that was the best case of a team losing its identity that I've seen in a long time WOW !

Reply #502840 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Did anyone see that Melbourne United explosion coming? They have the talent, but were just not cohesive until last night.

United hit 22 three's which is new 40-min record (was 19 Woll v Syd 2014) and at 2nd best clip of any team in history with 20 makes! That his some seriously hot shooting.

Melbourne deliver killer blow to Sixers

Reply #502841 | Report this post

Fan-ciful  
Years ago

LOL

Reply #502845 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Going into last nights game, this is Melb 3pt stats in order of best to worst for season so far
Kickert 10/22
Corletto 11/26
Dennis 4/10
Wortho 7/18
Barlow 7/26
McRae 8/30
Walker 3/13
Tomlinson 2/15
Odigie 0/4

From Barlow down they basically hadn't been able to hit a barn door. I think the barn doors at Adelaide Arena must have been tampered with.
Last time I saw a display like that was 2002 G/F game against Razorbacks when 6ers were around 60% at half time to blow game open.
I did watch Melbourne warmup before the game quite closely And their pre game drill was all 3pt shooting. I had a check of the game shot chart, and what do you know, all their shots were from exactly the same spots as pre game drill.

Reply #502846 | Report this post

Fan-ciful  
Years ago

I want to read some more about how good the 6ers D is. Especially how awesome Teys, Gibbo and Daly are on the defensive end.

Reply #502848 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

It was an impressive shooting performance, but IMO Melbourne will be up and down because they don't really have a game other than the 3pt barrage and a little transition offence. There were no signs of any inside game at all.

Not all teams will come out with a bad lineup and poor defence like the 36ers did last night. If you watch Barlow and Kickerts first couple of threes, they hesitate before shooting and then still have all the time in the world to release the shot. Good defensive teams won't give them that much time and won't allow them to get it going like that.

Reply #502849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone have the + / - stats for the sixers?

Reply #502852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when melbourne move the ball they are a very good basketball team. i watched what they did against cairns in the second half and now this against adelaide. i think they will start to click even more. if mcrae is running the point they dont move the ball. he needs to keep moving without the ball and then he will get better looks and easy takes to the rim. they have great 3 point shooters who can space the floor and think they are now learning how to play as a team and to peoples strenghts. they run deep and if they can click they will be a very good team.

Reply #502856 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The points per game against and oppo FG% stats for Adelaide are very interesting. In losses it's 104ppg at around 50%, in wins it's about 80ppg and under 40%. Got to play some D.

Starting Schenscher, Motum and Petrie together was a very poor piece of coaching by Wright. One of Adelaide's big strengths is their speed, yet their starting line-up didnt have a speed advantage at any position last night.

Reply #502858 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Good game by unitied, it's been brewing for a couple of weeks now, I find it intresting that McMillan for melb can't get any minutes now

Reply #502864 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Interestingly, Adelaide's %ages for this game, FT shooting aside, were good. United's was just on another planet.

Reply #502867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't call 42% from the field good, 38% on 3pts is decent and 54% on FT's horrible.

In contrast Melb shot 56% from the field, 65% on 3pts and 82% on FT's.

Reply #502869 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Anyone else wondering why they had the blackout night against a team with black and white as their colours!?!?!?
Didn't affect the result but just seemed weird.

Unfortunately it was a combo of an awesome game by Melbourne and a terrible game by Adelaide.
Just amazing shooting by United, helped by terrible perimeter defence.

I am extremely worried about Fridays game vs Perth.
If 36ers play like that against Perth they could lose by 60+.

36ers really need to harden up on D and also set more illegal screens in offence to free up shooters. Kicket was moving on almost ever screen he set, but never got called for it so good luck to him. It makes a big difference when trying to get an open shot and would help Teys and Gibson a lot.

Also can they cut out the crappy full-court defence.
Sure they got 1 steal out of it, but they are giving up way too many dunks and layups. Plus their defensive structure always seems terrible and teams get good open looks early as players scramble to recover.

Reply #502974 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I think we are going too easy on the players.

Last week it was "We did alright, just no one was going to stop Childress that night". We played horrible defense in that game with Petrie being too slow to guard Childress on the perimeter while not being athletic enough to guard him inside. That was the easiest defense Childress will have to play against all season.

This week it is "Melbourne just shot amazingly!". These are professional basketball players that are excellent 3 point shooters. If you leave them open they are going to hit the shot more often then not! If they were hitting 3's over players then I will give them the credit of shooting amazingly however that was not the case. All they were doing is what their bodies were capable of and that was easily hitting open shots.

Here is the youtube video of all the 3's they hit. Pay attention to the defense (or lack of). I know it is painful to watch it but watch it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D77rG9gvqPA

Of the 22 3's I would say only 1 was contested while another 1 was mildly contested. Brock is also 2 out of 2 games where he has gone out to a 3 point shooter and forgot to put a hand up. He does this at 19 seconds into this video. If he wants to move onto the NBA or even Europe he has to get this lazy defense out of his system as it is not acceptable.

All the players should be held accountable for this disgraceful effort. The worst part was it was infront of such a large crowd.

We should always support the team but I think giving them pats on the back saying "It's not your fault, they just shot great" is giving them the wrong message. Fans can accept a loss if the team put in the effort. The effort was not there on Saturday night.

The good news is we can't play any worse then that and (I hope) the players will take full responsibility for that effort by insuring it never happens again.

Reply #502977 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

KingJames,
Great video, but for all the wrong reasons. Looks like the defence is too deep. The defender per 3 were (not quite 100%)

BJ (5), Peach (5), Luke (3), Brock (3), Teysie (2), PC (1), Gibbo (1), Jamar (1) ? (1)

I bet that video will be watched a few times this week

Reply #502991 | Report this post

Hello  
Years ago

Fanciful the D of those 3 is great but when the court is full of moving screens and they are not on together often enough when there are red hot outside shooters then there is not a lot they can do. If the refs won't call the illegal screens and travels that have invaded the game this year then no wonder the players had enough. The charges and blocks were mostly called wrong, ignored or overzealously whistled. The only teams that can playin this situation are those that are blatant offenders like Perth, Sydney and Cats who coincidently have the most money to spend... !!!

As said before the NBL best remember they need more than just 3 teams who can spend big if they are going to allow this reffing to continue to favourites these 3 teams and their marquees and imports. It puts the entire league at risk

Reply #502996 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks for the link KingJames. Hopefully Joey will make the team sit and watch reruns of that video this week. I knew we were bad, but the lack of effort and defensive disorganisation on many of those plays is disgraceful.

A number of them were due to players indecision on whether or not to switch, but others were just lack of engagement, not getting back quickly enough in transition, inability to recover to the three point line or sagging too deep off the three point line in the first place, probably because they know they have a speed disadvantage and don't want to get blown by for the easy layup.

Reply #503034 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I'd rather my team close out and have the opposition get past them...at least you have an opportunity for a team mate to switch and help defend. Just sagging off when their shooters are already hot is poor I reckon!

Is Motum really a better defender than DJ like was advertised?

Reply #503056 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No. They have similar wrap sheets, incredible natural offensive talents without much interest in the other end. At least DJ showed a bit of effort last season, hopefully Joey can inspire the same out of Brock.

Reply #503068 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

From what I have seen...DJ is a better perimeter defender.

Reply #503072 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

aw....'what's the minimum i can do to get accross the line.'

Reply #503078 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:43 pm, Sat 18 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754