Anonymous
Years ago

Drugs/Corruption in sport

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/goverment-to-tackle-crime-in-sport/story-e6frf9jf-1226572459574

Pretty big story being broken on the back of the Essendon alleged doping scandal, the ACC has released a report covering the use of PEDs and corruption, involving organised crime gangs throughout sport in Australia.

Fairly shocking stuff, but where there is money to be made, corruption isnt far off.

I honestly dont know what to make of this.. I mean growing up you see these sports stars as heros and rolemodels, seems times are changing.

Topic #30744 | Report this topic

Cats82  
Years ago

Ure mum and dad a the role models!! Why is it every one sayz sports ppl are role models! They get paid to do a job they do it then they can do what they want! We go work every day aswell, but we go home have a few drinks, just leave them alone! Unless the club gives them the drugs thats differnt!

Reply #403066 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Yeah. If you look up to athletes as your role models for life, you are an idiot and the people around you are also for allowing it. Drugs and alcohol have gone hand in hand with athletes/musicians/actors/etc for so long now. People getting surprised at it every time are beyond comprehension

Reply #403075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is wrong with a young person looking up to a sportsmen as a role model? Young kids aged 5-10 probably aren't even able to conceptualise what substance abuse/illicit drugs etc are. They don't give a shit about a player's personal life. All they care about is what happens on the field. Nothing wrong with anyone for that matter admiring someone's physical talents on the field.

Reply #403080 | Report this post

Dillon  
Years ago

How often do Nbl players get drug tested? Less than the big leagues I'm guessing?

Reply #403083 | Report this post

Daveo  
Years ago

Honestly, most NBL players probably don't make enough money to afford to buy illicit or performance enhancing drugs so I doubt many would be involved in it...

Reply #403084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I did notice that basketball had no representative at the press conference, where each other major code had their CEO or equivalent present. Probably reflective of where basketball is in this country.

Role models or not, this is still a big issue.

Reply #403087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thiknk the closest the NBL got to PED's is the shit load of money Gorg spent on vitamins when he was with the Kings. It was well nown at the time what they were doing but it wasnt illegal. As for NBL players not earning enough your kidding yourselves if you think these drugs are expensive. Its all relative to what result you want and what level of testing is done. If the NBL doesnt test then the players could be taking anything and there are some pretty nasty PED's out there which dont cost much as they are used on horses and you can get it from any Vet. Its the really good stuff you cant test for which is expensive.

Reply #403091 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

I just can't get my head around the idea of a test cricketer snorting cocaine, 20/20 player sure.

Reply #403094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Part of the reason they get paid lots of money is because people admire them and so come to see them play. They get called heroes etc. in the media and asked to endorse products. You can't take the good things that come with that and then shirk the responsibiliy. (Well, okay, clearly you can...)

Reply #403100 | Report this post

Daveo  
Years ago

The NBL definitely does tests. I know of one team being tested after their game a 3 weeks ago

Reply #403103 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

This might explain our season, Clarkes being sold sleeping tablets instead of enhancers!!!

Reply #403106 | Report this post

Gaylord Focker  
Years ago

The funniest thing about the AFL issue is how they said they should relax the "no alcohol" rule so players don't get tempted by "drugs". This really makes me lol. Allow them all to drink themselves to a Brendan Fevola like state every weekend, so they don't smoke a spliff quietly at home after a game to wind down... Last time I checked, ALCOHOL IS A DRUG. A drug that kills more people every year than coke, heroin, crack and meth COMBINED x 100.
Must go down as one of the most ludicrious suggestions in the history of Australian sport.

Reply #403107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they also get tested off season I know two lightning players were tested at training prior to season tip off

Reply #403115 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cory Websters been tested before

Reply #403122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hope they throw the book at the people involved there is no excuse for this

Reply #403141 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

One thing I don't understand is testing for marijuana. It's stupid. Doesn't help performance, and it's safer to use than any man made drug on the market for certain medical problems.

As for test cricketers using coke, you would be surprised. They wouldn't be doing it during a game, Shawn Kemp couldn't even make it work for him at end of his career.

Costs of drugs isn't that big. Steriods and that really only work for when you are using though, and even then it isn't great for athletes who have to run, as can cause pain and problems with calves.

Reply #403153 | Report this post

Hawkeye  
Years ago

Ricey - they are illegal doh

Reply #403176 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Well no shit Sherlock, but testing for weed is a waste of money and time.

Reply #403205 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"The funniest thing about the AFL issue is how they said they should relax the "no alcohol" rule"

Funniest thing would be anyone believing AFL players dont drink!!

Reply #403210 | Report this post

La La  
Years ago

Sir Ricey,

I feel that people might take you a little more seriously if you had of had even one real moment of basketball success.

As for the issues above, yes it is important. If you read the issues outlined in the paper you would have seen that illegal betting and match fixing is as much of an issue of drugs in sport as the drugs are themselves.

What is being suggested is that players are being compromised by the gamblers who organise players into drugs(amoungst other things) to blackmail them into match fixing.

Reply #403216 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

"One thing I don't understand is testing for marijuana. It's stupid. Doesn't help performance, and it's safer to use than any man made drug on the market for certain medical problems."

Disagree regarding the point cannabis is safer than other medications. It has pretty clear studies linking it with psychotic disorders eg. Schizophrenia and can predispose to numerous other mental health disorders. If I was the club, I would be testing players for Cannabis due to the likely negative impact it has on performance and suspending players or fining them if they test positive as it is likely to negatively affect their workplace performace.

Reply #403350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the 36ers have been taking drugs this season.... Sleeping tablets! Or PDDs - Performance Dehancing [to un-enhance (Urban Dictionary)] Drugs!

Reply #403457 | Report this post

It it Apri 1st  
Years ago

Heard it was Estrogen they were taking.

Reply #404123 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:10 pm, Mon 20 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754