Avanti
Years ago

Broadband

Isaac (or anyone!),

Can you give any advice re ADSL2?

Im looking into getting broadband, and on one provider's web site saw their ADSL2 prices were about half their ADSL ones for the same download amounts and three(?) times the speed!

Ive heard the actual speed depends on your distance from your exchange. I live in Kensington Park, and would be connected through the Norwood exchange. Any idea what this would mean in terms of actual speed?

Topic #2950 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I have Internode ADSL at work (1.5Mbps, 32GB data) and at home (512Kbps, 16GB data) and would recommend them. Good, no nonsense service, and SA-based. I'm waiting for ADSL2 in Norwood (my office is on The Parade) but it will not be available until later this month (actually, just looked, and from their site, I think you can place an order now).

Make sure you have a reasonable data allowance (most of the budget ADSL providers allow something like 500MB which really only gives you the capacity to do very everyday stuff, like no online gaming, no Torrents, no Shareaza, no grabbing XVids from IRC, etc).

As for the speed downgrade, I'm not sure how much you would lose, but ADSL2 is fast enough that it shouldn't matter. I've seen a chart on the Internode site that plots speed vs distance from an exchange. In Kensington Park, I'd expect the difference to be minimal.

One of the reasons for the better prices are that ADSL2 will come through Agile whereas the rest is limited by Telstra who are money-loving bastards and maintain pricing that limits competition, IMO. I started with Telstra in the early days of ADSL but changed because the service is crap.

Reply #33569 | Report this post

Avanti  
Years ago

Thanks for that!

Ive been looking at Adam, as thats the dial-up service I have...

Their ADSL2 with 5000Mb download is $34.95 a month, the same as their 256/64 plan!!

It makes Telstra loook pretty criminal if that is the reason for the price diff doesnt it....

Reply #33570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

have a look at tpg adsl connect at 1.5 with 20 gig download $49.95 per month tpg.com.au

Reply #35327 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:58 pm, Sun 19 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754