BALLER#3
Years ago

NBL - To Expand?

Just thinking to myself about the NBL and if it should expand or not. Thought i would throw it on here to see what other people thought.

I am a strong believer that the NBL will collapse if it expands past 11 or 12 teams as Australian Basketball just doesnt have the support for this to happen.

I think that an 11 team league conisting of Adelaide, New Zealand, Perth, Townsville, Cairns, Gold Coast, Sydney, Wollongong and Melbourne plus an additional Melbourne or Victorian Team and a Brisbane team would be the perfect number. If a twelth team must be included to even out the numbers possibly a second New Zealand Team could be included if the crowd numbers keep increasing.

If the league goes past twelve teams i can see a watered down talent pool filled with Semi Professional Players at best filling the lower ends of the Rosters and being back where the league was in 2008/9. This will then lead to teams shutting down and the demise of the NBL.

Topic #25959 | Report this topic

The Special 1  
Years ago

Brisbane will eventually make a come back I think by next season. Would be great if NZ could come up with another team, provided they dont crash like previous teams like, singapore, south melbourne, Hunter ETC.

The NBL need to advertise the comp more, I understand money comes in to it

Reply #324898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think one more team in Melb & a new team in Brisvegas is all we can handle at the Minute... that is unless NZ can sustain another team.

If we learn from the past sometimes expanding for the sake of expanding is a bad thing...sustainable growth and quality product need to be the most important things!

Lets not let the NBL just become SEABL on steroids, we want a quality product not just teams making up the numbers.

Reply #324903 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

the Wellington Saints NZNBL organization are interested but NBL want Brisbane and another Melbourne Team before they'll consider it. Wellington are very capable of supporting a second NZ franchise in terms of fans, players and finances.
I agree that beyond that it will become watered down in terms of team depth and even more unprofitable for owners.

Reply #324909 | Report this post

bb  
Years ago

4 teams in an asian division, and all other teams in a division, thats where the future lies.

Reply #324933 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

i dont want any asian teams i want a team in brisbane a 2nd melb team and wellington or newcastle

Reply #325062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets face it newcastle could be successful with the right ppl running it & if tinkler baks the team. I agree don't expand too fast though. Sustainable growth over 10 yrs could see bris, newy & 2nd melb team possibly in the burbs create a good long term national competition.

Reply #327043 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the smaller the market is - ie Newcastle compared to Brisbane - the better the bid has to be. Newcastle doesn't offer the same viewing audiences or attractiveness to sponsors that Brisbane or Melbourne do (in fact, as HO pointed out in an earlier thread, a small market team could actually reduce the viewing audience if not done right), so the bid has to show what it does add to the league.

Obviously it would add another 8-10 pro playing jobs for Australian basketballers, which is important, but I think it would need to involve a contracted commitment for 10 years and a clear plan that thoroughly intricates the club with the community and leads the growth of basketball as the population of Newcastle grows. Without something that comprehensive I think BA should be hesitant to put a team there.

Reply #327049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane are next on the agenda.
3rd largest TV viewin audience.

Reply #327053 | Report this post

Jethro00  
Years ago

The NBL need to start expanding to the areas that the bigger sports (NRL,AFL) refuse to go.

Places like Darwin,Wellington,Hobart,Central Qld,Central Coast.

These are areas screaming for a national sporting team to get behind and support. Give these communities something to call there own and get their local corporate dollars before the other leagues wise up!

Reply #328713 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:16 am, Tue 21 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754