LA Boy
Years ago

Dwight Howard is not a true Center

I just watched the Suns V Magic game from last week? During the game I felt the old Shaq still dominated over Dwight despite been slower. Dwight was unable to post up on Shaq, only way he could score was face up against him. Just imgaine this match up when Shaq was younger...There probably wouldn't be one. Even funnier Shaq made Dwight look small!

For reference for our upcoming national team. We really need to put him at the 4 instead.

Topic #19264 | Report this topic

Ian  
Years ago

In international basketball he's big enough for the five. Especially considering there aren't any really dominant true C's in the NBA at the moment. Until Bynum gets better...

Reply #228165 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Shaq is just about as rare a player as you will find on the planet. Size up the ying yang, but even at his age now- still more mobile and dextrous than any guy the same size.

Howard is a C.

Just like Duncan is a C.

Reply #228213 | Report this post

lol.

Another quality Quagmire post

Reply #228215 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

When you factor in, Pat Ewing, Zo, Dwight ain't no C. He'd be battling against Mailman if it's in the 90s. And probably still overpowered. Good center battles in past will consist mainly of post up games. Shaq post Dwight but not vice versa.

Also, in international ball, imgaine having a real C down there in the paint with Dwight in a 4. It'd be like Suns with Shaq-Amare. the 4 will be unstoppable. Also somebody like Bynum down there will contain so much space on defense.

Reply #228240 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Also, Duncan's really playing out of position...If he was a true center he wouldn't have started at the 4 when Robinson (who is a real C) was still there and he's classified a 4 in All Star voting.

Reply #228241 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Whats your definition of a true centre?

Reply #228245 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Mark Eaton.

Reply #228249 | Report this post

Whats the difference between a centre and a Power forward?

Reply #228251 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Am i reading it right? Are you guys saying Howard isn't a center coz he's not strong enough to handle Shaq?

You boys are on drugs.

I watched Howard battle Duncan down low, and he kept the walking poo from getting any sort of good position down low. He beats every center down the court, and is still strong enough to out body every player not named Shaq.

He is the proto-type center for the future NBA.

By the by, Duncan is a center, the fact he started his career at the 4 was coz The Admiral was playing and no way your sitting either of those guys.

Reply #228274 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Check out today's boxscore, Duncan's listed as a 4.

I remember back in 95~96 I was at the Wake Forest vs Arizona game as an intern. At the time I had a discussion with a scout in the group who said "Duncan is a versatile player having the ability to play 4-5 however he'll never be a pure center for the style of basketball he plays"

Back then as straight up center, you'll never be listed in a PF position. Imagine Kareem, Hakeem etc. listed as a PF, that's a joke.

I think Dwight is flourishing at 5 spot right now just because there's yet to be an upcoming big man who can play like in the 90s. Just think about those from back then and there's not even a comparison. With this said though, I do believe with time the next generation of great centers are coming...Bynum, Oden *cough*

Reply #228288 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Definitely a centre. No question about that, but yes, Shaq was far better than Dwight at this stage of his career, but the sky is the limit for Dwight (whilst the buffet was the limit for Shaq).

Duncan is considered "the greatest power forward of all time" consistently. He's a 4 man.

Reply #228304 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

There is very little difference between the PF and C spots, just like there is very little difference between the SG and SF spots.

Since the changes in NBA rules have made perimeter players more effective, there have been less and less go to post players, since there are more defensive schemes that can limit their effectiveness.

Reply #228346 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Generally I think a PF is more of a scoring position than the C, and the main task of the PF is to score from the block, but also have the ability to face up to an opponent from the high post and make a move and step out and hit the 15-18 footer. Rebouding is key too, of course.

A C's main role is to block shots, rebound, and "clog up" the lane. More of a back to the basket type player who will operate primarily out of the low block. Will often be a bigger and better defender than a PF.

On a screen and role, for example, a C will mostly roll to the basket, whereas a PF will "pick and pop" for the open J (flaring). That's why teams like the Jazz (Boozer), Lakers (Gasol, who is a PF), Celtics (Garnett) and Mavs (Nowitzki) are so effective at running the pick and roll.

Any for the record, I think there is a huge difference between the SF and SG spots.

Reply #228438 | Report this post

But then there are players like Reggie evans, and dennis rodman (who are referred to as PF's), who completely defy your PF logic

And players like Mehmet okur and Yao (who are called C') defy your C logic

I just think the biggest guy in the team gets called the centre.

I mean really, do Boozer and yao play THAT differently?

Reply #228441 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:53 pm, Mon 20 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754