dan
Years ago

what do wabl coaches look for?

hi im 13 and trying out for wabl (dont know what its called in sa but its the highest level of bball for my age) next month and am wondering what the coaches will be looking for (like what kind of strengths and weakeness') and what drills they'll run, thanks

Topic #17686 | Report this topic

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Females......

Reply #207743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturty,

I think WABL = West Australian Basketball League, which is their junior district comp.

For 13, which means you'd be U/16 next year - the ability to dribble with both hands, layups with both hands, athleticism, defensive workrate etc.

Reply #207755 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Apart from obviously height, skill and athletism, following instructions and working hard are things that smart coaches will notice at try-outs.

Don't be shy to ask an intelligent question, then coach will remember your face. Talk too, encourage others, help explain things to others if they don't understand.

If you see a drill run you don't understand, hang back and watch carefully.

Some weakenesses can be corrected (shooting action, ball skills, running plays), some can't (work ethic, attitude).

Good luck mate.

Reply #207766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Talk too, encourage others, help explain things to others if they don't understand. "

Yup, excellent point!

Reply #207780 | Report this post

Jamal  
Years ago

First thing Dan- Good Luck mate!
Depending on the position/your size etc- the coach will look for things like- hustle and effort. Being able to use both and lay-ups and communicating with others. Get out there- try your best- but don't try too hard- that is something that may work against you.

Could be U14 though other posters- it's my understanding that if you are under the age as of 31/12 then you play in that grade. So if Dan is 13 as of 31/12/08 then he should be able to play 14's if that season starts this year?

Reply #207787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jamaal,
He has to be U/14 at the end of '09.

Just like 13 year olds here have to play the season starting last night in U16s.

Good luck Dan. Which club are you trying out for?

Reply #207794 | Report this post

Jamal  
Years ago

thanks anon- that does make sense as the season starts approx nowish and finishes in next year- good point!!!

Reply #207805 | Report this post

Wayville 85  
Years ago

Is it hard to get in? I know someone who plays WABL who is a shit player on his normal league team but I got MVP of the league last year, so if I do my best, chances are I'll get in?

Reply #207878 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:59 pm, Mon 20 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754