LC
Last year

2023 National Junior Classic

National Junior Classic coming up.

You can access historical results here: National Junior Classic Results

Official team entries not yet publicly released.

Official Tournament Website

Topic #51130 | Report this topic

Pinch  
Last year

Draws out

Reply #918073 | Report this post

+  
Last year

it's not on the website yet

Reply #918097 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

Wont let me post the link. Playhq has it up

Reply #918098 | Report this post

+  
Last year

cheers i can find that

Reply #918100 | Report this post

+  
Last year

so the VC season - they only play each other once ?

Reply #918101 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Link is not being allowed...

The 2023 VJBL has two pools of 10 for the first 9 rounds of VC, and then the last 9 rounds of the season comprise of the Top 5 teams of each pool being brought together.

Reply #918106 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Reply #918387 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

Should be a good weekend of basketball

Reply #918403 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Interesting to see both Nunawading and Frankston losing u16G, thought atleast 1 would make final.

U12G Kilsyth v Frankston
U14G Kilsyth v Nunawading
U16G Forestville v Dandenong
U18G Sandringham v Norths

Reply #918505 | Report this post

By the Sea  
Last year

U/14g
Kilsyth smashing everyone so should take the gold.
Nunawading won quarter and semi finals by only 3 points.
Kilsyth have much more depth where Nunawading rely on 1 or 2 players.

Reply #918508 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

Kilsyth u14G looked a different class to any other team. They'll walk Nationals in September. Best any other team can hope for is a silver medal. I’m sure even then it will just be a case of the team coming second will be lucky to have missed playing Kilsyth for n the draw.

Reply #918511 | Report this post

+  
Last year

do they still do the Junior NBA world championships in Florida for U14s ? that was starting up before COVID

Reply #918513 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Does look like the selectors for vic teams got it wrong for upcoming u16sG.
Sa and qld looking like the top 2 atm.

Sa u16 boys finishing at top of all pools is a good sign too. 3 of 4 in the semis.

Reply #918515 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

Interesting to see the increase in interstate teams in the top 4 on the girls side as you go from 12's to 18’s.

12s - 0
14s - 1
16s - 2
18s - 3

Based on this you can assume Vic’s have better development programs / coaches at a younger age and the rest of the country catches up over the years??

Reply #918519 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Last year

I think compared to NSW and SA those VIC u16/18 kids missed comparatively more basketball in the covid years. Might have some validity but I do think the Vics use it as a crutch for poor results too often.

Reply #918525 | Report this post

Mike 14  
Last year

Watched lots of Under 16 women's games on the weekend. There are some fantastic players that will represent all states in the national titles. Both sides from SA look really strong as do NSW Metro (and the couple of NSW Country kids at the classic also look strong. Vics will still be good but it could be a very even National titles. Good thing is that overall talent pool is impressive.

Reply #918527 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Sa probably regretting not selecting tredrea after winning mvp.

Reply #918529 | Report this post

Red84  
Last year

U18G
As a NSW observer of jnr girls basketball before and after covid, IMO the competitiveness of Vic club teams diminished over this period. For jnrs, it makes a big difference if they miss a season or two. It takes a while to catch up.

I predict Norths to win today Vs Sandy. But don't listen to me - I predicted Manly to beat Sandy and got that wrong. (I've got nothing against Sandy btw).

Reply #918531 | Report this post

Red84  
Last year

U18s
NSW teams win both the boys (Comets) and girls (Bears) divisions. Question for community - is that the first time in Classic history that NSW has done that? Am I right to presume SA teams achieved this feat in more recent times?

Reply #918535 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

G Winners
U12 Frankston - Cole mvp
U14 Kilsyth - Jones mvp
U16 Forestville - Tredrea mvp
U18 Norths - Bessell mvp

Reply #918538 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Dickeson surely locked up an u16 asia champ spot, dominated.

Reply #918539 | Report this post

Blues67  
Last year

Witnessed first hand Tredrea carve up Frankston in the quarter final. Very impressive, never rushed. We had no answers and went down by 30. Our Frankston team was number 1 in VJBL. Lol

The Gardiner / Tredrea combo was unstoppable all weekend by the stats, vs Frankston it was pick your poison, Tredrea from the perimeter or Gardiner in the post. Seems crazy she missed state selection

Will probably be the last time she misses a team after this balls up.

Reply #918540 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

12s and 14s girls grands finals were quality.

That 14s grand final was a classic! Nunawading was right there until midway through the last quarter until Jones took over.

Reply #918542 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

With the girls

2007, 2009, 2011 pretty deep in talent.
-each of these have 12+ good players already.

2006, 2008, 2010 aren't very deep.
-would struggle to produce a good team of 12 from 1 of these years although some good individuals.

2012 has some good emerging players from njc

Reply #918543 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Boys u14 also very good Muir vs Wise.

Reply #918544 | Report this post

+  
Last year

i definitely agree that the COVID years affected the top end of basketball in all states - no tourneys all very restricted - remember COVID hit Melbourne hard - more lockdowns that other cities. Just grateful we are back at it.

Reply #918547 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

Guards selected for SA U16G team are the right selections. Tredrea must have had a great weekend, but is outplayed by her competition in the District comp. Looks good for the upcoming champs if Forestville (not even at their very best) beat the Vics.

There are enough players across all age groups to select 12 good female players. Silly comment to say otherwise.

Reply #918549 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Here are the winners from the boys side - only one VIC winner!

Winners
U12 North Adelaide (Gloria)
U14 Dandenong
U16 South Adelaide
U18 Sydney Comets

Who were the other GF MVP's?

Reply #918554 | Report this post

Blues67  
Last year

I'm not so sure Bballfan. I witnessed Norwood in pool games and they were very average. Taking Forestville’s result out of the mix, North Adelaide 9th, Norwood 10th doesn’t show a lot of depth for SA metro.

District basketball vs National tournaments is a completely different game. Tournaments like Classic or Aus Champs slows down to a half court game. Too many guards that I witnessed over the weekend, over dribble and take terrible shots. The Forestville girl is different, tall PG, plays with composure and doesn’t force it. I think her game will transition well as she moves to 18’s and then beyond. Her dominance in a big tournament does put her name in the heads of national selectors however, for one to keep an eye on moving forward.

VIC Metro, SA Metro, NSW Metro, QLD South all in for a chance at the title. It’s anyone’s, gone is the dominance of our VIC Metro teams.

Reply #918555 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last year

I don't disagree that Tredrea hasn't been dominant at district level but she's a far better prospect than at least 2 of the guards on that SA team not to mention a couple of other players selected that don't look remotely up to it.

Reasonably athletic, taller and longer and a great shooter. A couple of those other guards would barely be 5'3".

Elliot in some doubt due to injury, will be interesting to see what the BSAHP people do if she can't go.

I think SA will go well due to their athletic bigs, notably Gardiner. 3 of those Forestville bigs will be in the team along with the Rockets big who almost as tall as Gardiner.

Reply #918558 | Report this post

Blues67  
Last year

The omission is very head scratching due to the on-court chemistry between Tredrea and the Forestville bigs, particularly Gardiner. They know exactly what each other is going to do before it happens.

Forestville super impressive, bigger at every position, slowed down the game and used the shot clock to their advantage. Dandenong very disappointing in the final after a very good tournament. Too much iso and looked shocked early with the barrage of Forestville 3's in the first quarter.

North Bears also very impressive in 18’s, Bessell and Perkins were quality all weekend.

Reply #918561 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last year

Agree on the chemistry they've been playing together for years and it shows.

Defensively Forestville were very impressive too, their length and structure just blanketed the opposition and none of the teams (Manly aside) shot well enough to disrupt them.

Reply #918562 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I think rivet was called up to vic metro, I'm guessing fagan ain’t going, n.t commitments?
Cant see vic m or vic c winning at next months nationals.

If Elliot is out, tredrea clearly should be the front runner to come in.

Reply #918583 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

Can anyone shed light on why Gardiner never seems to get any n.t. recognition?

Reply #918586 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Is she 08?

Somfai/Taylor/Russell/Mead seem to be the preferred wing/forward options

Reply #918588 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

Weedy who's your pick of the bunch for the 09/10 group?

Reply #918589 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

At the njc or country wide?

Reply #918590 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

Just in general based on what you've seen from last years and this years events SCC, ECC, Club Champs and now NJC? Say top 10-15

Reply #918591 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Off the top of my head, got a list somewhere...

Fakalata
Elliot
Jones
Thorburn
Hocking
Ljubicic
Hutton
Scarafilo
Daly
Smith
Bonham
Olechnowicz
Puoch
Ryan
Barbakas
Trout
Manyok
Johnson
Coble
Etc

Reply #918592 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

Surprised Gardiner doesn't even make training camps to get a look. Always dangerous and plays without any BS. Would like be to see her have a great AJC and be given a chance at a selection camp at least. She’s a big reason Forestville have leapt over their Norwood counterparts this last few months.

Good question Pinch.

Jones was a stand out in 2010. Showed a level of class when needed. I’d like to see her play in a less dominant team. Some of the other good players didn’t have the same supporting cast to compete.

I really like Fakalata in 2009. Smooth and good to watch. Also love to watch Daisy Hocking - hard as nails and is relentless in scoring at every opportunity.

There are others of course, but just a few 09/10 that caught my eye again this weekend that I’ve followed over the last year or two.

Reply #918593 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

Surprised Gardiner doesn't even make training camps to get a look. Always dangerous and plays without any BS. Would like be to see her have a great AJC and be given a chance at a selection camp at least. She’s a big reason Forestville have leapt over their Norwood counterparts this last few months.

Good question Pinch.

Jones was a stand out in 2010. Showed a level of class when needed. I’d like to see her play in a less dominant team. Some of the other good players didn’t have the same supporting cast to compete.

I really like Fakalata in 2009. Smooth and good to watch. Also love to watch Daisy Hocking - hard as nails and is relentless in scoring at every opportunity.

There are others of course, but just a few 09/10 that caught my eye again this weekend that I’ve followed over the last year or two.

Reply #918594 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

Pretty accurate list imo. Will see if the next 18 months separates a top 10 for NT selection for 15's in 2024....Ismt that the next FIBA cycle?

Reply #918595 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

Bballfan interesting take on players from stronger clubs with a better supporting cast compared to one from smaller clubs or country teams.

Reply #918596 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Bballfan I agree with your assessment of Gardiner. She should be looked at for NT.

If Elliot is out then I think it should be bottom age Jaekel, otherwise Tredrea.

Reply #918599 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

They scouted ajc u16s last year where Gardiner did ok, but not great. She has to go up against Somfai, Taylor, Mead, Russell, Petrie, Bijkerk, Reisinger, Aherne, in which only 2-3 get a spot on the sapphires.

08/09 gems is 2025/26/27. Likely a lock then.

Reply #918600 | Report this post

Interpreter  
Last year

I'd argue Gardiner was statistically superior to at least three of the names you listed at the 2022 AJC, played on a winning team, and is over a year younger than all of them. She was also a standout at ECC.

Reply #918603 | Report this post

Crabby Crabot  
Last year

The overall impact of coaching staff, players and head coaches from Nunawading that have moved to Dandenong is enormous. Dandenong in all but U14 girls was represented and 4 in top 4 also.

SA overall looked much stronger than I personally had anticipated. Will enjoy the battles of the U16 metro with QLD sth and Adelaide, I believe both sizeable teams?

I think that it's evident what impact lockdown had on these kids development. Think the reset is the bottom 2013/2014 kids as they has development years in Vic U10 domestic and hopefully will build up again. Or maybe parents and players are doing more now outside rep and domestic to upskill to counter this.

Reply #918606 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last year

SixersFan not sure about Jaekel. Good player but not sure ceiling is as high compared to Tredrea who is significantly taller, longer, more athletic and at least an equal shooter if not better.

I'd have Warner from Rockets before Jaekel. Been playing very well at district level, had a decent NJC and a very good ECC. I think her or Tredrea would rightly be very disappointed if they missed out on selection to replace Elliot if she can't make it

Jaekel will get her shot next year

But, who knows with BSAHP. They might pull another swifty and leave us all in shock

Reply #918610 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last year

Agree re Gardiner. December birthday and still growing all while putting up dominant performances week after week.

Her ECC was excellent.

Reply #918611 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

SabreTooth not sure how you think Tredrea ceiling is higher when Jaekel is clearly ahead of her when they were at the same age. Both quality players and we will see in the future.

Reply #918614 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last year

I just said why. Unfortunately size, length athleticism play a big part in basketball and Tredrea has her covered in each. Tredrea looks about 5'9" to the eye and skinny meaning probably a bit of growing to come. Jaekel looks like she might have topped out but not knowing either of them aside from seeing them play means I could be completely wrong.

Being ahead or behind at a certain time doesn't allow for the fact that individuals don't always improve in a linear fashion.

Both very good players!

Reply #918616 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

SA problems, nice to have.

Reply #918617 | Report this post

Blues67  
Last year

Tredrea performs on the big stage from what I witnessed at Classics, going by the stats she had 20, 16 and 21 in 3 finals games. I know who I would want handling the rock in a gold medal game. Size, shooting ability and composure with the ball is a nice skill set have.

Reply #918623 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last year

Assuming some relation to Warren Tredrea? He's listed as 194 cm so she might have some more to go.

The Dickeson omission is bordering on embarrassing for BSAHP

Reply #918625 | Report this post

Crabby Crabot  
Last year

SabreTooth
Spot on - it's his niece

Reply #918645 | Report this post

MICHAEL_MACGYVER  
Last year

In the U12 Girls GF I would have loved to see Kilsyth and Nunawading in the GF rather than Frankston it looks like Frankston have a really good tournament team and on form I still think it will be either kilsyth or Nunawading that take home the chip this year.

Reply #918686 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:23 pm, Tue 14 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754